VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright well I finally took apart my radio to see what I had to deal with. The new radio's easy to take apart once you know where everything is at. Hope this helps everyone out. Enjoy.
Stock Radio (No Satellite) Only Single CD, AM, FM ...

To the left and right of the emergency blinker are two trays. The covers pop off, easy to pop off from bottom. The yellow arrows point to the spots where the cover held in place.

This is the back of one of the silver tray covers

Once one or both of the tray covers covers are removed. Take a Flat Screwdriver and pry the molding surrounding the radio. The top of the radio is the easiest to pull off. Work your way down the sides of the radio and the bottom. They whole piece will snap off. The yellow arrows below are where the molding is held in place.

The radio is then secured by (4) 15 Torx screws. Once the screws are removed the radio slides right out.

Picture of the wireing harness from behind

Well that about does it, the radio is very easy to remove and put back together. The wiring is the same as my old VW. So attaching a new radio soudn't be too difficult other than supporting the new radio somehow.
I hope this helps some people out. Enjoy! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by GTI 1.8T Silverstone at 8:06 PM 9-13-2005

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: 2006 Passat Radio Removal Write-Up (curraheevw)

Nice, do you know of any kit that would fill a hole if I installed a double din sterio. Thanks for the link. Very helpful.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Re: 2006 Passat Radio Removal Write-Up (GTI 1.8T Silverstone)

Quote, originally posted by GTI 1.8T Silverstone »
Nice, do you know of any kit that would fill a hole if I installed a double din sterio. Thanks for the link. Very helpful.

I don't think they make one yet. From what I've seen people are taking the one from Enfig and cutting the center out to make the DD fit. Here is a link to an install.
http://www.mk5mods.com/index.php?topic=52.0

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: 2006 Passat Radio Removal Write-Up (curraheevw)

That link to mk5 mods is exaclty what I want to do to my car. The same exact unit also. Thanks for the link. Let me know if you find any kits that don't have to be modified. Is the MK5 radio the same as the one in the new passat?

Modified by GTI 1.8T Silverstone at 10:53 PM 9-13-2005

·
Banned
325 Posts

Cool! Like the first how-to write up on the B6 forum http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,438 Posts

Quote, originally posted by GTI 1.8T Silverstone »
Is the MK5 radio the same as the one in the new passat?

It is the same radio and nav unit. Here is a link to the technical details of the stereo. There might be some slight differences but it will have all the info you need on the Factory stereo. Hope this helps.
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2111976

Modified by curraheevw at 4:44 AM 9-14-2005

·
Registered
40 Posts

I wish I'd thought of just taking the front panels off the trays, rather than wrenching them out! Brain power beats brute force again.

·
Registered
127 Posts

How hard do you think it would be to change the veneers on the dash. I would like to order a set of the light maple color they have in europe. do you think the venners are just held in place by double sided tape...

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: 2006 Passat Radio Removal Write-Up (Joe in Dublin)

The tray covers pop off along with the emergency blinker cover. The other I am not sure how they are removed. I have not gotten that far. I am sure they are the same thing.

·
Registered
101 Posts

I too would like to replace the dash veneers with light wood. have the Passats been available in Europe long enough for there to be dash replacement parts yet?

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Does anyone know if the new Jetta has this same radio. If you do not get any packages.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Re: 2006 Passat Radio Removal Write-Up (B6 Boost)

The silver tray fronts are easiest/safest to remove if you pry the bottom up a little with a putty knife, and then push up with your hand. If you pull straight forward, you might bend the little clips.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Does anyone have any good stereo recommendations that comes close to fitting in the hole? I'm looking for a stereo with Sirius Satellite radio in it that fits well. I've never done anything like this before, but it seems fairly straightforward.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts