VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys maybe you can help me out with this,
A couple of days ago my check engine light came out and I got the following error when I put the ignition: Exaust Workshop! - I really don't know what that means and how serios is this. I did not encounter any problems while driving no noise no nothing. After I refueled the error dissapeared (I thought it had something to do with the fuel quality).
After 3 or 4 days the Exaust Workshop! error re-appeared only that this time I get another error from time to time with a spiral that blinks only that this time the car does not accelarate anymore. This error appears only as a light next to the check engine light but not on the display, on the display I get only the Exaust Workshop! error. If I stop, the spiral error dissapears for a time and the car works fine again but only for 20-30 mins and so on.
Do you know what can cause this? and what's wrong?
Thank you in advance for the help.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
If you haven't got a VAG-COM or can't otherwise read the error codes, I'd get it to a dealer to get things sorted out.
The exhaust error could be something as simple as a failing lambda sensors but the glow plug indicator flashing means there may be something else wrong with the engine.
Harry

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Prince Ludwig for your answer.
Unfortunately I do not have a VAG-COM I'll go to the dealer asap. I guess the errors are connected because first came the engine check error and then the glowing spiral, I've read somewhere that it might be the particular filter, DPF is that possible?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, 80% of the time I drive sub 40 mph, can you explain what is the process of regeneration cycle of the DPF? A simple motorway drive at high speed could solve the problem? Can the DPF give that odd spiral blinking error and lack of acceleration?

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
The DPF catches the soot particles that are generated by the combustion process but eventually begins to reach capacity which restricts the exhaust flow from the engine.
To counter this the ECU will adjust the fuel injection to raise the exhaust temperature which burns off the soot in the DPF but the engine needs to be running at a fair few RPM to do this safely. Since the light goes off when you put your foot down, the ECU is probably trying to start the process but it's interrupted every time you come to a stop resulting in the glow plug warning light returning.
Drive above 40mph for 30 minutes and that should hopefully let the process complete. You may find that when you park the car after the DPF regeneration there's a "hot" smell and the exhaust makes more pinking noises than usual but that's perfectly normal.
Harry

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the explanation Prince Ludwig.
The only problem with driving above 40 mph is that the car doesent accelarate after 2x1000 RPM when the glow plug error blinks. WIth the exaust Workshop error I can drive fine (the first error) but with the second I have to restart the engine every time.

·
Registered
631 Posts
My ‘Exhaust Workshop’ came up on the display a month ago. I did a scan and got this:

Address 01: Engine Labels: Redir Fail!
Part No SW: 3D0 907 401 HW: 8E0 907 401 AB
Component: 3.0L V6TDI G000AG 0040
Revision: --H01--- Serial number: VWZ3Z0F1455881
Coding: 0011773
Shop #: WSC 01065 000 00000
VCID: DCBC971C1C53E0F89DD
1 Fault Found:
001137 - Exhaust Pressure Sensor 1 (G450)
P0471 - 001 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00110001
Fault Priority: 0
Fault Frequency: 8
Mileage: 98960 km
Time Indication: 0
Freeze Frame:
RPM: 0 /min
Torque: 0.0 Nm
Speed: 0.0 km/h
Temperature: 121.8°C
Temperature: 106.2°C
(no units): 0.0
Absolute Pres.: 20.4 mbar
Readiness: 0 1 0 0 0

I had been doing a lot of short slow trips. From this useful posting (thanks Harry) I understood that the dpf might just need regenerating so cleared the codes and sure enough with a long motorway drive all went away. Then a few days ago the ‘Engine Workshop’ display returned so I did a second scan which read:

Part No: 3D0 907 401
No Faults Found
or DTCs not supported by controller

I cleared the DTC’s again and restarted the car and no ‘Engine Workshop’ warning appeared. I then did a third scan:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
No fault code found.
Readiness: 0 0 0 0 0

Since then I have not used the car much, however no warning has returned.

I plan to take it in to my dealer to check, but has anyone got any thoughts on this?

PETER M

·
3,436 Posts
Hi Peter,

The first DTC you posted was with the engine stopped, so is probably related to an implausible (corrupt, delayed or out of sequence) CAN-bus message during startup conditions. This is where we all say in unison "how old is the battery?"!

The second was a DTC 'not supported by the controller' which to my mind means another corrupt message.

It will be interesting for us to see what happens next, and rather more interesting for you! Perhaps nothing.

Best,
Chris

·
Registered
339 Posts
The 'exhaust workshop' indicator had gone away again, but yesterday it returned.
I am preeeetty sure - and am willing to bet some money on this - that the fault code reading will reveal another fault of the Exhaust Pressure Sensor 1 (G450). It is very common for this part to fail. It will then provide the ECU with false readings every now and then. And in case the readings are "closer to normal" for a while, the ECU will reset the indicator light! I had this exact same problem in my car a year ago.

The G450 costs about hundred pounds but is a bit tricky to replace. Can be done on a lift, in about an hour and without dismantling anything else if the mechanic knows what he is doing.

Assuming it is the G450, you should address this issue asap. This fault may prevent the DPF cleaning process and can clog up the filter necessitating its replacement!

An occasional "DTC not supported" can be considered normal especially if you have a bit older/slower pc you are using VCDS with.

Jouko

·
Registered
631 Posts
Well, Jouko was spot on,

So, to summarise for anyone else with the same issue: 'Exhaust workshop' indicator came up and then went, then came and stayed. Dealer did guided fault finding and fault was logged with G450 exhaust pressure sensor; so dealer replaced sensor including a modified bracket, carried out service regeneration of DPF and erased codes - total labour and parts around £200.

PETER M

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.