VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at a 2007 3.6 Passat Automatic Wagon that is in Showroom condition. Mileage is 127,000. The owners have all records from dealer for service and all maintenance has been done including transmission services. It does shift hard at times from 2nd to 3rd. If you put it in park or stop the car and restart the shifting issue stops. I think it is not an actually issue with the transmission. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this issue or feedback in general. This is an old couple that is selling the car and they babied it. Price reflects "the issue".

Does anyone know who built this 6 Speed Auto for VW?

Thanks and Happy New Year!

·
Registered
08 Passat Wagon 4Mo VR6
180 Posts
How much are they asking for it? I have a 2008 which has the same issue. It seems to be a common problem. I've had it for 3 years now and it's been the same. I had VW check out the tranny and did a Haldex service and there were no issues.

·
Registered
579 Posts
It's an Aisin 09G, there's a lot of good info out there on rebuilding the valve bodies with a kit, seems the valve bodies are the usual suspects with this sort of thing. Sounds like an awesome car, these things are rare and getting rarer and they're pretty solid when you get them dialed in right. I adore mine currently, the noises it makes, the power, brakes, handling and comfort are just awesome. I got mine at 111K and have spent the last year driving and going through it. Don't buy it for the fuel mileage.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How much are they asking for it? I have a 2008 which has the same issue. It seems to be a common problem. I've had it for 3 years now and it's been the same. I had VW check out the tranny and did a Haldex service and there were no issues.
Thanks for the Information on your Passat. They told me because I love VWs I could have it for $2,700 because they knew I would take care of it. I would have to get rid of some car because I don't need another. I have always regretted selling my Wagon. Such a practical car. Going back out tomorrow to look at it. Thanks again!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's an Aisin 09G, there's a lot of good info out there on rebuilding the valve bodies with a kit, seems the valve bodies are the usual suspects with this sort of thing. Sounds like an awesome car, these things are rare and getting rarer and they're pretty solid when you get them dialed in right. I adore mine currently, the noises it makes, the power, brakes, handling and comfort are just awesome. I got mine at 111K and have spent the last year driving and going through it. Don't buy it for the fuel mileage.
Thanks for the info on the transmission builder! You post is encouraging. Did yours have the shifting issue? I just don't get why it clears up when you "manually shift", and when you turn off the car and restart it. To me it seems like something in the shift selector. Of course when they brought it to the VW Dealer they told them it needed to be rebuilt. Silly.

Thanks for the truth about the Gas Mileage. Made me laugh. If you drive like a little old Lady is the Mileage all that bad? LOL!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thanks for the truth about the Gas Mileage. Made me laugh. If you drive like a little old Lady is the Mileage all that bad? LOL!
Yes. Yes it is. I've only put around 2500 km's on mine in the past few months of ownership and can tell you the fuel mileage is not a "strong point" on these cars 🤣
Mind you I've done the mandatory resonator delete so my ears mostly ignore the fuel gauge and range readout.

·
Registered
7,350 Posts
Here's some info on the transmission:

In the 4motion cars it's an 09M, which is a beefier version of the 09G. Both are based on Aisin's TF-60SN reference design.

Your hard shifts could be a valve body issue, but if I were you I'd do a fluid and filter change first to rule out dirty or low fluid. Note that the wagon uses a different (larger) transmission filter than the 3.6 4motion sedan.

FWIW my lifetime average is 19mpg at a mix of about 70% city and 30% highway. Not great, but the rest of the package makes up for it!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here's some info on the transmission:

In the 4motion cars it's an 09M, which is a beefier version of the 09G. Both are based on Aisin's TF-60SN reference design.

Your hard shifts could be a valve body issue, but if I were you I'd do a fluid and filter change first to rule out dirty or low fluid. Note that the wagon uses a different (larger) transmission filter than the 3.6 4motion sedan.

FWIW my lifetime average is 19mpg at a mix of about 70% city and 30% highway. Not great, but the rest of the package makes up for it!
Thanks for the link and information.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts