VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
82,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought the CX-7 was replacing the Tribute?
I was browsing for 2007 Mazda3 info and ran across this:
http://media.ford.com/mazda/ar...$3F$4

" Tribute
The 2007 Tribute will be a late launch and will be completely new. Specific product information will be available closer to launch."

(shrug) So what's up with that?

·
Registered
2019 Golf R, 2019 XC90
7,096 Posts
Re: 2007 Mazda Tribute? (BRealistic)

From what I have read, it will not be completely new but rather extensively freshened (and mules of Escape seem to show this -- the general body remains the same). I would assume it will get a new interior with Ford's new corporate switchgear (the Escape at least).
That said, I do not know why the Tribute continues into 07 with the CX-7 and CX-9 now at hand.

·
Registered
25,083 Posts
Re: 2007 Mazda Tribute? (LuckyDogg)

There is no 2007 Tribute for US/Canada. There will be a 2008 (or 2007.5 Tribute).
2007 Escape is already on sale while Mazda is selling out remaining 2006 Tributes. The 2007 model year Escape will be a short one with no major changes from 2006. 2008 Escape will be on sale around March 2007.
2008 Escape will be a major refresh with all new interior, engine, transmission and most body panels (but in keeping with Ford's crazy idea of "let's not let everyone know our car is brand new", the greenhouse profile and all the windows will be carried over). Based engine is still going to be the 2.3 Duratec but the optional V6 will probably be the 3.5 V6 with 6 speed auto. Hybrid model will get the Gen-2 upgrade from the Fusion hybrid.

Modified by bzcat at 6:28 PM 7-6-2006

·
Registered
13,279 Posts
Re: 2007 Mazda Tribute? (bzcat)

Quote, originally posted by bzcat »
There is no 2007 Tribute for US/Canada. There will be a 2008 (or 2007.5 Tribute).
2007 Escape is already on sale while Mazda is selling out remaining 2006 Tributes. The 2007 model year Escape will be a short one with no major changes from 2006. 2008 Escape will be on sale around March 2007.
2008 Escape will be a major refresh with all new interior, engine, transmission and most body panels (but in keeping with Ford's crazy idea of "let's not let everyone know our car is brand new", the greenhouse profile and all the windows will be carried over). Based engine is still going to be the 2.3 Duratec but the optional V6 will probably be the 3.5 V6 with 6 speed auto. Hybrid model will get the Gen-2 upgrade from the Fusion hybrid.

Modified by bzcat at 6:28 PM 7-6-2006

what a way to kill sales...everyone knows that the market DEMANDS fresh cars every 5-7 years MAX.

·
Registered
15,174 Posts

Quote, originally posted by BRealistic »
I thought the CX-7 was replacing the Tribute?

it would seem so size-wise, but the current tribute starts about $3,600 less w/ the base 4-cyl... maybe they still want an entry level suv to match-up w/ the cr-v + rav4
of course, i wouldn't really miss it in their line-up, but to each their own

·
Registered
41,822 Posts

Isn't the Tribute based on the '98 Mazda 626? It's just getting an extensive facelift? Holy crap!

·
Registered
15,174 Posts
Re: 2007 Mazda Tribute? (AKADriver)

Quote, originally posted by AKADriver »
Isn't the Tribute based on the '98 Mazda 626?

yeah, a quick google search seems to confirm this... interesting
but remember, they're still selling the old b-series truck (ranger)

·
Registered
82,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: 2007 Mazda Tribute? (AKADriver)

Quote, originally posted by AKADriver »
Isn't the Tribute based on the '98 Mazda 626? It's just getting an extensive facelift? Holy crap!

No. I used to think that- but the Trbute/Espace platform was actually a platform in itself (it may have been loosely based on the 626, but it was very loosely then).

S

·
0 Posts

Quote, originally posted by bzcat »

Wow. So what the hell is the point of the CX-7? You're going to have the Tribute on one side, and the CX-9 on the other. How in the hell is the CX-7 going to develop any appreciable sales volume?

·
Registered
15,174 Posts
Re: 2007 Mazda Tribute? (Swallow Doretti)

Quote, originally posted by Swallow Doretti »
Wow. So what the hell is the point of the CX-7?

or the other way... what's the point of the tribute? maybe just have the cheaper 4-cyl version, but it doesn't really fit w/ the rest of their line-up

S

·
0 Posts
Re: 2007 Mazda Tribute? (crazy88)

Quote, originally posted by crazy88 »
or the other way... what's the point of the tribute? maybe just have the cheaper 4-cyl version, but it doesn't really fit w/ the rest of their line-up

Frankly, if the Tribute's getting the Duratec 2.3-L and the 3.5-L V6, why didn't they give the CX-7 these options instead, and make it the new Tribute? Seems a lot more in line with both Mazda's line-up AND consumer demands.

·
Banned
4,635 Posts

Wow. So what the hell is the point of the CX-7? You're going to have the Tribute on one side, and the CX-9 on the other. How in the hell is the CX-7 going to develop any appreciable sales volume?

I think the Tribute is there for people that want a truckish looking SUV but don't want a larger vehicle. The CRV, RAV4, CX-7 are all kind of cutesy looking.
Not that the Tribute is super macho, but it is square. I know that in this part of the country a lot of people don't want to drive something that looks cutesy or like a car.

S

·
0 Posts
Re: 2007 Mazda Tribute? (riceburner)

I can see that, but do we really need three different versions of the same vehicle from Ford to fill that niche?

·
Registered
4,895 Posts

I can see that, but do we really need three different versions of the same vehicle from Ford to fill that niche?

I'm with you on this. The Chrysler group is also making me scratch my head with their small Cute-UV offerings as well. Like Hyundai/Kia are finding, offering more, but similar models only yields small incremental gains.

·
Registered
25,083 Posts

Remember that Tribute is being dropped from Europe and replaced wholesale by CX-7. Mazda has stopped making Tribute in Japan (it is importing it from Taiwan) so the decision to keep Tribute for the US/Canada market is largely a byproduct of the fact that Escape is built here.
There is also some discussion and speculation going on at escape-central.com (I have an Escape and frequents this board) that Mazda will renamed the Tribute as the CX-5 and offer its own version of the hybrid Tribute/CX-5. This will sufficently differentiate it from CX-7. Think of CX-5 and CX-9 as the "mainstream" CUV and CX-7 as the "wildcard" quasi-sports wagon.

·
Registered
15,174 Posts

ah, a hybrid would make sense... do they even have one planned for their main models?
haha... a hybrid rotary

·
Registered
18,581 Posts
Re: 2007 Mazda Tribute? (LuckyDogg)

Quote, originally posted by LuckyDogg »

That said, I do not know why the Tribute continues into 07 with the CX-7 and CX-9 now at hand.

The CX-7 is a completely different vehicle. Ford is trying to expand its sales, not simply replace one vehicle with the other.

·
Registered
9,850 Posts
Re: 2007 Mazda Tribute? (Jetty!)

Quote, originally posted by Jetty! »
The CX-7 is a completely different vehicle. Ford is trying to expand its sales, not simply replace one vehicle with the other.

Tribute is esseantially an Escape with a better warranty, loaner car when in for service, and better pricing.
Anyone with any intelligence wanting an Escape should just buy a Tribute.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts