VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took this pic before filling up, does anyone have any history with the rabbit 2.5/vw 2.5s overall, and what gas mileage they get in the city both in summer and winter? Paying $70 Canadian to fill up and only getting 350km to a tank is killing me right now. 2007 Rabbit with 5-speed MT.
Also getting a bhs cold air intake soon, will that affect fuel economy at all?

Thanks
Speedometer Car Vehicle Odometer Tachometer

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Should be in the 320miles (515km) per tank regardless of city or spirited highway if on 15's or 16's. If on 18's then I see 5% less. Check tire press, air filter (stick w/ OE), plugs, misfires, brakes hanging up (hot wheels?), injector cleaner.....basically start with the cheapest and work your way through to smooth running.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Should be in the 320miles (515km) per tank regardless of city or spirited highway if on 15's or 16's. If on 18's then I see 5% less. Check tire press, air filter (stick w/ OE), plugs, misfires, brakes hanging up (hot wheels?), injector cleaner.....basically start with the cheapest and work your way through to smooth running.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
Like @cylinder head o7k said, idling eats a lot of fuel. One should expect to get worse mileage in colder weather anyways. The car is going to running in open loop longer before it reaches opterating temperature and goes into closed loop. In warmer weather I get around 300 to the tank. In cold weather, sometimes I get around 200. 🤷🏻‍♂️ I've had this car since 2014 and it's always been this way. Granted, I'm running a stage 2 tune with a full intake and exhaust setup at this point.

·
Registered
2008 VW Rabbit, MT, 3-door
169 Posts
17.5 MPG US or 13.4 l/100 km - not so drastic for -12.5 C weather.
Depends how you drive it, how long is your warm up time and if the car ever reaches operating temperature...

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 2009 Jetta 2.5 5speed gets 22mpg average per tank. All stock except for cold air cone, and rear muffler/ middle muffler delete. Winter use car, that gets driven somewhat aggressively.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm going to be doing a bunch of tune up work on the car in the coming weeks so will definitely get all of that checked out. In terms of idling, the car hardly ever idles, I typically get in and go (i know thats bad), driving can be spirited but nothing crazy, not flooring it every second i can. Thanks for all of the info, will update when i know more!

·
Registered
169 Posts
get in and go (i know thats bad)
Well, why would that be bad?

Check spark plugs. Coils? Hard to say... not easy to check them, unless it is just dead. Old one may produce slightly worse spark, but without proper tools one cannot check it. They work or not. However, after say 200k km and 15 years they could be replaced.
Air filter.
Alignment and tire pressure.
And small things like extra dead weight in the car...

One thing, though, which I find weird in this car, but it would influence the fuel economy is Closed Loop vs Open Loop when coasting. It takes long time to cut off the fuel.
Not sure if that is normal or not.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
My 2009 Jetta 2.5 5speed gets 22mpg average per tank. All stock except for cold air cone, and rear muffler/ middle muffler delete. Winter use car, that gets driven somewhat aggressively.
I'm getting 25-27 mpg in winter daily driving for my '09 2.5 5-spd, but my commute does have some gentle cruising roads baked in. Otherwise nearly always accelerating hard to 60 or 70mph, on my IE stage 1 tune and open intake. Oh, and I run 93 octane.

17 mpg in a rabbit is too low, unless you only drive short city trips - do you? -3f on my way to work this morning in Michigan, BUT, 22f in my garage to start her up first.

I would do plugs and coils if you haven't in a long while (or ever). The BHS intake shouldn't affect much for mpg. What temp is your coolant running at once warmed up? You could also run a 0w-40 oil, being that you're in canada eh.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Changed air filter, did oil change, alignment, tire pressures, re-adapted throttle body, and the big find of this journey…..

one of the bolts on the valve cover, rear corner (not sure which one) was over tightened and sheared off essentially which has allowed the valve cover to lift slightly and leak a very small amount of oil, as far as we can tell it’s been like that for a long time. Looking into finding a new valve cover, will get that done.

Took a 9hour each way road trip last weekend, averaged around probably 450km to a tank all highway. Really stumps me, aside from plugs and coils, not sure what else could be done besides maybe fuel filter, already just put in a decent sun for the stuff I did, another 150 or so in the coming weeks for valve cover. Got too much money in this car -_-

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
oh and also, happened to find a different coloured coolant in the reservoir? not sure how that happened but suctioned it all out, prayed none got through the system, looked like the improper coolant has stayed on top of the proper coolant. I haven’t touched it so i guess the previous owners did that.

·
Registered
9,835 Posts
oh and also, happened to find a different coloured coolant in the reservoir? not sure how that happened but suctioned it all out, prayed none got through the system, looked like the improper coolant has stayed on top of the proper coolant. I haven’t touched it so i guess the previous owners did that.
That is strange because the coolant in the reservoir does cycle through the coolant system.

·
Registered
169 Posts
That is strange because the coolant in the reservoir does cycle through the coolant system.
In mine (2.5) it seems like it does.
Same for 2.0 T Audi.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Does what, cycles through the coolant system or the different coolants do not mix after going through the system and separate like oil & water?
I must have misread your statement... I read that it does NOT cycle through the system... which is common in many Korean cars.
sorry
😳

1 - 18 of 18 Posts