VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2007 VW Passat 2.0T ... I purchased it with a blown 2.0T FSI engine, and I'm in the final stages of an engine swap ... I'm installing a 2010 VW Jetta 2.5L 5-cyl. engine in the car. (there's a thread on this project detailing the progress - http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?8410225-2007-VW-Passat-Engine-Swap-2-5L-for-2-0T).

The car is all together and running, with only a couple of minor problems ... a P2400 code: EVAP Leak Detection Pump, and P0036 downstream O2 sensor.

Here's the primary problem ...

I drove the car for the first time today, and I'm getting a P0864 code, and the transmission is in limp-mode, and all of the range selector lights are lit on the dash. I've changed the transmission fluid and filter, I used about 4 quarts of Valvoline MaxLife (I did this before the engine was running). I've checked all the (3) electrical connectors on the transmission, and cleaned them with electrical cleaner. I've checked the shift linkage adjustment (ok) ... and checked all the fuses (ok). I've also swapped out the TCM with a known good unit ... still a P0864 code.

Although the ECU was changed (a 2008 Jetta 2.5 ECU was used, and the immobilizer was disabled by Varpartsma on the East Coast) ... I don't believe there are any direct wiring connections between the ECU and the TCM that should affect the Transmission.

Anything else I should check? ... any ideas?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Problem Solved!

Well, yesterday, I took the car to a local guy, K2 Auto Works, who sold me the 2.5L engine, engine wiring harness, and ECU ... he hooked it up to VAG-COM, ran a scan, gave me a print-out, and cleared all the codes. Initially, it didn't fix the transmission issue ... but then he cleared them again and ... voila, I've got a working transmission again!

I bought this car in boxes, and it had been sitting for around two years before I got it. Mike at K2 said that when these cars sit and lose battery power, they'll set all kinds of codes.

The moral of the story? Always try and clear codes ... even more than once, before you start replacing parts!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts