VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My vehicle is a 2008 VW Rabbit 2.5L w/ ~80k miles on it. It's had almost no issues up until this point.

Around late June of this year, the vehicle began to sporadically fail to start. The engine will crank, but will not turn over. The issue seemed to resolve itself if I waited a bit (1-5 hours). I had the vehicle taken to a mechanic, where they replicated the issue and received the fault code "P0321 - Engine Speed Sensor Implausible Intermittent" and decided to replace the crankshaft position sensor.

Around mid-August, the engine once again gave the issue where it would crank but fail to turn over. When calling for a tow truck, the driver thought the issue might be due to vapor lock and had me hold the throttle while cranking the engine. It took some effort, but it started up again. About a week passed, after driving with a couple short stops, it failed to start once again. But, I was able to get it going again by giving it some gas while cranking the engine. Then about two weeks ago, it happened again, this time after it had been parked for 8 hours while I was at work. But this time, I couldn't get it to start back up again, even while giving it gas while cranking the engine.

The vehicle is now back at the mechanic's. They have had it for a week and a half and haven't been able to replicate the failure to start.

I'm kind of stumped as what to do next and the mechanic isn't sure what to do until they can replicate the issue.

Any suggestions or experience with this out there?

·
Registered
2008 Volkwagen Rabbit 2.5L 2 door hatchback
42 Posts
I'm having a crank no start issue as well, replaced the filter, pump, and relay, still cranks but no start, but I will have to try the pedal to the floor option to see what happens

·
Registered
294 Posts
Cam crank correlation graph with injector pulse will help uncover the fault. Holding the pedal down puts the ECU into clear flood default strategy and doesn't 'give it some gas' but the default program allows it to start. My money is on a cam timing signal error. A scope will be needed. Different car HERE but this is the idea. Your shop may not have the resources to do this if they are simply waiting on it to fail again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.