VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picked up a mk5 gti with 98,500. On the way home, it threw a CEL, i didnt think much of it since the car was running fine. A few days later i was coming back home from somewhere and decided i havent tried to test its power or speed. So i decided i'd give it more gas slowly until i was to the floor. I was in 6th going highway speeds. Rpm's slowly crept up until, if i had to guess, 3.5-4.5k rpm when i got a complete boost and fuel cut. I let off immediately and also the engine didnt stop running or stall, i just got a massive cut in power. I gave it a little gas after that and it sputtered for another half mile or so and then acted fine. It starts right up when its cold and has a little trouble when its hot or been warmed up. Also drives perfectly under normal driving circumstances. Car throws codes p2293 fuel pressure regulator 2 performance and p2181 cooling system performance. Im thinking of starting with replacing the fuel filter under the rear passenger side, HPFP and cam follower. Just looking for some opinions or ideas.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Welcome to VWVortex! Does your '08 have the FSI or the TSI? Both those codes are unrelated. The P2293 is more than likely the hpfp and the p2181 is probably the thermostat. Obviously some diagnosis would help confirm if those are in fact the issues.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to VWVortex! Does your '08 have the FSI or the TSI? Both those codes are unrelated. The P2293 is more than likely the hpfp and the p2181 is probably the thermostat. Obviously some diagnosis would help confirm if those are in fact the issues.
I have
Ive got the FSI engine. will be ordering those 3 parts i mentioned soon

·
Registered
9,818 Posts
I just went to advanced and use their diagnostic tool. Why would it be a lemon? Are the problems way more serious than they seem?
Because the previous owner may have had a hpfp follower failure and instead of making proper repairs just put a new cam follower in and sent it down the road to fail on someone another day. This has happen to more than a few new owners of these used cars.

Before you buy anything why not check the cam follower, cam lobe for follower and hpfp piston. Plenty of DIY out there. Also find some with Vcds or other proper scan tool that can look at your fuel pressures.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Because the previous owner may have had a hpfp follower failure and instead of making proper repairs just put a new cam follower in and sent it down the road to fail on someone another day. This has happen to more than a few new owners of these cars.

Before you buy anything why not check the cam follower, cam lobe for follower and hpfp piston. Plenty of DIY out there. Also find some with Vcds or other proper scan tool that can look at your fuel pressures.
Oh lord. See i didnt do any proper research and thats just me being young, dumb and a first time car buyer. I wasnt aware of even a fraction of the issues these FSI's have. What all would i have to replace to get the car back in proper order if that is the case?

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Oh lord. See i didnt do any proper research and thats just me being young, dumb and a first time car buyer. I wasnt aware of even a fraction of the issues these FSI's have. What all would i have to replace to get the car back in proper order if that is the case?
You'd have to determine exactly what the problem is. Is it just a failed hpfp, or is it like @GTI's said, a catastrophic failure of the hpfp chewing into the cam lobe and someone patching it up with a new follower and shipping it? 🤷🏻‍♂️ If that's the case, then you're looking at a new hpfp, follower, and camshaft at a minimum.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts