VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Fully Loaded, has the advantage on power and handling, lacks fuel economy for the class, however it does have a 10 year warranty. ( but that is subjective due Mitsubishi's market share and questionable profitability)
9.5 liters per 100 KM (est. 20k per year $1/l: Gas = $1 900.00 annually)

Fully Loaded, has the advantage of a stronger company behind it, better fuel economy, Keyless entry and start engine feature. And a slew of technology gizmos.
7.5 liters per 100 KM (est. 20k per year $1/l: Gas = $1 500.00 annually)

Modified by JCarson at 1:35 PM 10-29-2007

·
Registered
5,943 Posts
Re: 2008 Lancer vs 2008 Versa - The battle for $20 Grand (JCarson)

I'd rather have a Rabbit/Jetta/Beetle. More of a real car (re -> Safer) than those either one of those tin cans. Especially the Versa. http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

G

·
Re: 2008 Lancer vs 2008 Versa - The battle for $20 Grand (WakeHead)

Quote, originally posted by WakeHead »
I'd rather have a Rabbit/Jetta/Beetle. More of a real car (re -> Safer) than those either one of those tin cans. Especially the Versa. http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

Uh-huh. I'm sure he'll be laughing at you when he drives past in either car watching your overpriced Golf go up in flames.

·
Registered
2018 SQ5
11,755 Posts

IMO, the best new car for $20,795 MSRP has got to be the 2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Special Edition. It only lacks in the MPG dept.
AWD
170 HP
Power Driver Seat
17" Alloys
Moonroof
Safest car in class

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
I test drove the Versa and here are my findings -
+
1) Very large on the inside, decievingly so.
2) High quality materials, much better than the Altima even.
-
1) Power is only adequate and you'll need the manual to enjoy driving
2) Even with a manual, you won't really enjoy driving because of the terrible handling. Car just doesn't feel secure and rolls around quite a bit. Nothing like a Fit.
As far as cars for $20K....is that USD or Canadian dollars?

·
Registered
7,298 Posts

i think anyone who pays $20K for the Versa is out of his mind. You can get a lot of car for $20K is you shopp around.

·
Registered
2020 Mercedes A250 4Matic
18,194 Posts
Re: 2008 Lancer vs 2008 Versa - The battle for $20 Grand (koko12)

Quote, originally posted by koko12 »
i think anyone who pays $20K for the Versa is out of his mind. You can get a lot of car for $20K is you shopp around.

Not all of us live in the land of cheap cars - including the OP. $20k is what a loaded Versa costs in Canada. And you can't get into a base Rabbit with that.

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
Re: 2008 Lancer vs 2008 Versa - The battle for $20 Grand (Swallow Doretti)

Quote, originally posted by Swallow Doretti »
Uh-huh. I'm sure he'll be laughing at you when he drives past in either car watching your overpriced Golf go up in flames.

I don't think the MkV will quite self-destruct, but I'm sure you're just employing a bit of hyperbole to express your VW hate. Besides, the Rabbit is competitively priced, at least in the US.
However, I don't think that the other two cars are "tin cans" either. Both are going to be fairly safe. If choosing, I would pick the Lancer, because the Nissan is not an attractive package and the Lancer seems to have the better chassis. Also, the Lancer wins out in most subjective areas of the car purchase process. The Versa will have more practicality as a hatchback.
Both should be fine, drive them and see what you prefer. Throw in the Kia and Hyundai equivalents as well, since the Accent SE seems to be a decent deal with some "sporty" intentions.

·
Registered
2018 SQ5
11,755 Posts
Re: 2008 Lancer vs 2008 Versa - The battle for $20 Grand (Hajduk)

Quote, originally posted by Hajduk »

Not all of us live in the land of cheap cars - including the OP. $20k is what a loaded Versa costs in Canada. And you can't get into a base Rabbit with that.

Oh, we're talking Canadian (Monopoly) money?

I see, you'd pay about $29k for the said Legacy above. However I'm hella jelious as you guys still have the Legacy wagon

·
Registered
5,943 Posts

Ok 'L'. I'll but I'll be long gone by the time your 'VTEC kicks in yo'.

·
Registered
26,702 Posts
Re: 2008 Lancer vs 2008 Versa - The battle for $20 Grand (2000JettaGLXVR6)

Quote, originally posted by 2000JettaGLXVR6 »
IMO, the best new car for $20,795 MSRP has got to be the 2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Special Edition. It only lacks in the MPG dept.

Except that in Canada that car starts at $26,995.

edit oops didn't see your post above.

·
Registered
2018 SQ5
11,755 Posts

There's also the MKIV.V City cars up there with that great 2.0 Gas/5W30 hybrid

G

·
Re: 2008 Lancer vs 2008 Versa - The battle for $20 Grand (vwgilly)

Quote, originally posted by vwgilly »
I don't think the MkV will quite self-destruct, but I'm sure you're just employing a bit of hyperbole to express your VW hate. Besides, the Rabbit is competitively priced, at least in the US.

Actually, there have been reports of '08 R32s catching ablaze. And I don't hate VW, and I don't hate the Rabbit (though the mileage is dismal). What I DO hate is the attitude that any car that isn't German is automatically a tin-car, and I was responding to that.
Quote, originally posted by vwgilly »
Both should be fine, drive them and see what you prefer. Throw in the Kia and Hyundai equivalents as well, since the Accent SE seems to be a decent deal with some "sporty" intentions.

Is a base Mazda 3 out of contention? I don't know what they go for in Canada, but if it's competitive pricewise, I'd also throw it on my list.

·
Registered
11,729 Posts

i have a friend with a new Versa and its a dandy little car. tons of room, plenty of pep. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2019 VW AllTrack, 2019 VW Tiguan, 2018 Audi S4
12,555 Posts
Re: (mk2jettarunner)

Quote, originally posted by mk2jettarunner »
I'll take a built up to hell mk2 1.8T GTI swap.
$20k could build one hellofa car.

yes and I'm sure you can finance it and it would be reliable WITH a warranty too

G

·

Quote, originally posted by WakeHead »
Ok 'L'. I'll but I'll be long gone by the time your 'VTEC kicks in yo'.

I see you're the reason the phrase 'Get back to the MKIV Lounge you troll' was created.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Re: 2008 Lancer vs 2008 Versa - The battle for $20 Grand (roccostud)

Versa:

Modified by JCarson at 1:12 PM 10-29-2007

·
Registered
5,943 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Swallow Doretti »

I see you're the reason the phrase 'Get back to the MKIV Lounge you troll' was created.

I express my opinion that there are reasonable alternatives which was asked for in the poll and for no reason you belittle the car I drive. Sounds like you are jealous or have an inferiority complex. Why are you hanging out on 'VWVortex' anyway? Its not 'VTECVortex'.
Look one R32 caught fire. BFD.
Here's 180k Civics recalled with wheels falling off..
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20777346
Here's multiple CR-Vs catching fire...
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5403348/

·
Registered
8,141 Posts

Quote, originally posted by 2000JettaGLXVR6 »
AWD
170 HP
Power Driver Seat
17" Alloys
Moonroof
Safest car in class

It ain't $20k in Canada! Base model Legacy starts at ~$27k CDN.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts