VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2009 New Beetle
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2009 Beetle intermittently dies at idol. The only code that appears is a MAF Sensor Low Output code. I've tried 3 different sensors and still does it. The sensor seems to be reading correctly with the Ross-Tech VCDS at about 4-5 g/s flow at idol and rises proportionately with higher RPMs.

Any other thoughts on what could make the intermittent stall? It is like the engine just shuts down; but it usually will start right back up.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Can you post all the codes you are getting? Have you tried readings the maf g/s, 2nd gear @ WOT?

A particularly common issue with the 2.5L; is the pcv failing and causing a large, unmetered vacuum leak, causing idle issues and stalling, dying problems.

·
Registered
2009 New Beetle
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Think I may have solved the issue. It looks like it may have boiled down to an electrical connection problem in one of the harness connectors in the engine compartment.

·
Registered
2009 New Beetle
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Any updates; was that the fix?
Well, I thought I had resolved the issue. It was running fine until my daughter was headed to work the other day. It stalled on her during acceleration and then wouldn't start.

It is currently in a no-start condition; so, I'm trying to figure out how best to troubleshoot. I'm getting fuel to the fuel rail. The engine cranks, but no start. Not getting any codes to point me to anything presently.

One thing I notice is that the radiator fan turns on high shortly after the key is turned on. Not sure if this is normal since I never really noticed it before when it was cranking and running good.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Basics: compression, fuel and spark.

I would check for spark at the coils and confirm fuel pressure is in spec:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2009 New Beetle
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Basics: compression, fuel and spark.

I would check for spark at the coils and confirm fuel pressure is in spec:
Getting spark: Verified by starting fluid into the intake (it tried to catch then).
Getting fuel to the fuel rail (~ 60 psi).
Apparently not getting fuel through the injectors.

Any ideas on what could cause it not to "inject" fuel?

·
Registered
2,620 Posts

·
Registered
2009 New Beetle
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Testing:

At risk of sounding ignorant, what is a Diode Test Lamp.

I'm assuming that this is different than just a regular 12v test light. So it says I should connect the Diode Test Lamp across the connector. I'm guessing that the test light would flash when the engine is turning over indicating the pulse of the injector.

·
Registered
9,806 Posts
Cam or crank position sensor?

·
Registered
2009 New Beetle
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Finally got it started and running again. Unfortunately no sure diagnosis at this time. Reset all relevant codes (still have the tire and radio codes) and will drive it around for a bit to see how it goes.

Based on what I actually did, it must be a bad connection or a dirty on in the system. I've cleaned (with electronics cleaner) all of the connectors. The last one, just before it started up was the cam position sensor connector.

Will follow up if it acts up further or throws any codes.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Hmm, no codes and a ongoing intermittent issue? Frustrating… most of the time; no start problems narrow down to ignition and/or fuel delievery related issues, electrical problems, like fuel pump relays, dying fuel pumps, etc.

For these type of intermittent problems, you might keep your eyes on codes; checking live data, like fuel trims, etc. Hopefully, some clues will pop up soon! Keep us in the loop. Good luck!

Note: I’ve found a elm327 and a app like dash command or obdfusion, to be helpful, to monitor things on your smart phone, when daily driving. Cheap affordable solution and will work on any car you have.

·
Registered
2009 New Beetle
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Drove it yesterday afternoon for a while and no issues. This morning (38 F) it started then died. Cranked right back up and drove maybe a block then died again. Started back up and drove home. Let it idle in the driveway for half an hour no problems. Ran codes and there was a MAF code which is the same one I was chasing before. Drove around and no issues.

I am thinking maybe camshaft sensor acting up since it ran fine after warming up.

·
Registered
9,806 Posts
What is the code number you are getting?

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Post any codes you are getting; are you able to read live data?

What maf are you currently running; the original or replacement, what brand is it and how are the fuel trims?

·
Registered
2,620 Posts

Possible Symptoms
Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) ON
Loss of Power
Possible Causes
Wiring and/or Connector(s) from/to Mass Air Flow Sensor (MAF/G70) faulty
Mass Air Flow Sensor (MAF/G70) faulty
Possible Solutions
Check Wiring and/or Connector(s) from/to Mass Air Flow Sensor (MAF/G70)
Check/Replace Mass Air Flow Sensor (MAF/G70)
Special Notes
In MY 1995-2002 (?) in Europe at VW-diesel-cars G70 had the bad reputation of slowly losing his performance, causing loss of power. It's not a matter of defective or breaking down, but it is filthy / dirty (not easy to clean). You can check functionality by making a log in [01-engine], [meas.blocks-08], group 003 (3e gear, full throttle, from 1700-4000rpm)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts