VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
5,733 Posts
I just picked up a 2009 CC ... wondering if there is any simple way for me to get my IPod or USB jump drive audio files to play on the radio ? Will the MMI interface work ?
As long as you have a cable to hook up to the usb through the glove box you should be able to run the usb on the mmi interface as well as your ipod. If not then you'll have to run it through the aux interface, which I don't think you can control through the mmi.

· Registered
257 Posts
what is standard premium audio? that is like an oxymoron. you either have standard or premium. If you have the MDI (media device interface) in the glove box. pull down on the little orange tab with a musical note on it. Otherwise you can get the ipod to play through the aux. connector in the center armrest console.

· Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a 2009 CC w/ Dynaudio without a touchscreen it is the LCD screen ... it looks like the standard radio that has been used in non navi model VW's for several years. Is there a way to get this HU to play USB or IPOD and not through a AUX in connection ?

· Registered
5,733 Posts
Dude two of us already said it. Go out to your car. Open the glove box. And look for a tab that pulls down with a musical note on it. If you have this then all you need is a cable to use the usb or Ipod. If not then your boned basically and you can only use your ipod on the aux port without the mmi interface.

· Registered
257 Posts
I am starting to realize that what I have is NOT the premium 8 ? Is the premium 8 an RCD510?

what do you mean by premium 8? if you look at your door speakers and there is no silver strip with a red dynaudio logo then you do not have dynaudio. You just have the standard 8 speaker stereo system. There are only two speaker systems available in the CC and they are independent of what head unit you have (RCD/RNS or older non touchscreen). The two audio options are dynaudio which has 10 amplified speakers and standard audio which has 8 non amplified speakers.

The RCD or RNS refers to the head unit only. Basically the RCD is the non navigation version of the RNS head unit. Both are touchscreen. you can have any combination of RCD RNS daynaudio speakers or standard speakers.

The ipod interface (MDI) has nothing to do with what type of audio option you have (standard or dynaudio). both the RCD and RNS head units will work with the MDI and if you don't have the little orange tabbed compartment in your glovebox which is the MDI, then you can have it installed.

· Registered
600 Posts
what do you mean by premium 8?
My dealer refers to the RCD as the Premium 8. I have the Premium 7, which is like calling a chocolate covered turd a candy bar, there is nothing Premium about it. :screwy:

It has the "fancy" high end knobs. Yep your jealous I can see it in your text :p

· Registered
905 Posts
You can have Dynaudio without the touchscreen...

Premium 7 = what is in 2009s
Premium 8 = RCD510 what is in non-navi 2010s

Like so many have said, go into the glovebox and see if you have the orange tab, if you pull it down the MDI is there- you need a cable which can attach to an iPod (there are many cables avail. for any device) and you can play the iPod through either Premium 7 or 8 radios. If you DO NOT have the MDI then you will have to use the aux jack with an aux cable.

You should also consider upgrading to RCD510 if you don't need navi- its pretty good and there are some here in the classifieds.

· Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Guys I just received my rcd510 in replace of the standard Prem 7 head unit. Everything went well except the two Fakra antenna plugs for FM and SAT from my original Prem 7 head unit are further apart than the RCD510 unit. The RCD510 units plugs are right next to each other not allowing me to plug both antenna in at the same time?

Any ideas ?

What is supposed to plug into the green plug ?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.