VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
18,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Check out my thread from when I first bought it: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3991162
It has to be said, that even though we saw the writing on the wall, Pontiac did go out with a bang. This bang is (or was, though technically the brand and car do not die until next year) the G8, and its biggest downside really only revolving around one simple question: Why did it take GM so long to bring it here?
For one, it is a head-turner of the likes I cannot remember in recent years. And it is more for its subtlety and the badge on the trunk than anything else. Even to this day, a week more than a year of ownership, it still incites numerous complements and neck-snaps. You would think that we're in year one of the G8, all while approaching year three of importation into the USA. Volkswagen Corrado enthusiasts take note - this car turns more heads and starts more conversations than my Corrado ever did over the last five years. My Corrado is red, my G8 is black (please don't quote Young Jeezy).
I covered 23,000 miles in little over a year, and outside of a loose swaybar bolt at 695 miles, the car has been nothing short of perfect. The torque of an American V8 is still intoxicating to this day, and push the "fun button" and the G8 will easily go sideways from a dead-stop into a turn. It still boggles my mind how people can say they are either used to this much power, or want more. I still try to fathom how much faster the GXP is with 415hp, let alone any of the super-sedans with 500hp and up. It really is mind boggling when you think about it.
Handling wise, I could not be happier (at least I don't think). This is my first foray into RWD vehicles, and what an experience. From noticing the better steering balance, to how the rear-end rotates nicely around, I am definitely a convert. The balance this car has is phenomenal. I wish I could comment on driving in snow, but during its first winter I barely drove it. This year though, I will be buying snow tires, and I will be taking it on some snowboarding trips.
When it comes to hauling people and things, I would wager that few cars in this size class can do it as effortlessly in as much comfort. For one, it has more interior room than any of the Europeans - 5-series, E-Class, and A6 all fall at least an inch short in the rear. At 6'1" with a short-waist and long legs, there are few people that sit as far back in the driver's seat as I do. Further more, I only have two friends that are taller than me. With the driver's seat set to my comfort, almost anyone can still sit behind me with a couple inches to spare between their knees and the back rest. Heck, I can "sit behind myself" in alarming comfort. The same does not apply to the Europeans. This was the first car this side of an S-Class, A8 or 7-Series that made me genuinely small when sitting in the back.
On a trip to Myrtle Beach, I had 3 passengers sitting in comfort, while 4 large duffles, 2 sets of golf clubs, and a couple cases of water bottles filled out the trunk. 700 miles later we had averaged 21mpg while moving at 80mph for the better part of the trip.
One aspect that I find exemplary are the front seats. These seats are the best I have ever sat in, and I'd be more than willing to loft them up with some of the best ever. I don't know if GM/Holden consulted Recaro, but every aspect is absolutely perfect, save for manual back-rest adjustment. This is only imperfect because it is manual, while all the other adjustments are electric, but the knob has enough points to make finding the perfect position easy. The seat cushion is deep, deep enough to run right underneath my knees, and lumbar support is absolutely perfect. I was amazed at how a comfortable seating position does wonders on long drives.
With all the praises, the car is not without its faults, though they can easily be seen as cosmetic or trivial. First, I would have loved paddle shifters. The transmission is very good, no problems there. The Sport mode is very intuitive, and catches on to aggressive driving in seconds. It is so good, in fact, that I do forget about Manual Mode. And yes, Manual Mode will run a gear all the way to redline and stay there until you tell it to do otherwise. Sport Mode will do the same when your foot is to the floor, all being intuitive enough to downshift as your hard on the brakes.
Memory seating would have been nice, though few people tend to drive it outside of myself. My largest niggle is probably the lack of a built-in navigation, made that much more glaring by the large screen. That in it of itself would not have been that bad, had the HVAC controls and display not been integrated into the whole unit. I can't go out and buy an AVIC-anything. The rear seats lack cupholders (GM, those door pocket cutouts do NOT hold anything), though this was remedied with later '09s and '10s. A cupholder pops out from under the middle of the rear bench.
As far as modifications go, I have only removed the rear badges, save for the Pontiac emblem, and had the front end ClearBra'd. Beyond that, I have had fleeting thoughts of SLP's axle-back system to give the exhaust some noise. As it stands, this behemoth is as quiet as a Prius when cruising.
When the G8 came out, it was said that nothing on the market would or could beat its bang-for-the-buck. And now, a year or so later, I believe that to be the case. I have only spent money on oil, oil changes, wipers, tires, and one driving lamp bulb. Such a refreshing change from all things Volkswagen the previous decade. If you have the means, and a RWD, larger sedan fits the bill, I strong recommend this car. Even more so now with the deals being offered.

Modified by Krazee at 3:49 PM 8-14-2009

·
Registered
10,030 Posts
FV-QR

Very good review, thanks for posting http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
Re: FV-QR (sonicGLI)

Great review and I agree with your assesment fully, though I've only lived with mine for just over 2700 miles so far.
One quick correction though, you mentioned the cupholders being remedied in the 09's and 10's...there is no 2010 model, just a 09.5.

·
Registered
8,864 Posts
Re: 2009 G8 GT One Year Review (Krazee)

Not gonna lie, if I didn't work for VW I'd get a red G8 GT today. I might get it anyway
. It's the performance bargain of the last couple years IMO.

·
Registered
10,988 Posts
Sadly, a car like this just isn't in the cards for me. It's like really cute girl you had a crush on in high school. You'd love to date her, but for whatever reason you can't. So instead I admire these from afar.
Who knows. Maybe someday.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Either these things gain a bunch of power after break-in, or the large salesman in the backseat weighed far more than I thought... but I wasn't terribly impressed with the acceleration of the g8gt I test drove. I probably only had it floored from 35ish to 70ish, but I was overall quite disappointed.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Re: (VTECeateR)

Quote, originally posted by VTECeateR »
Sadly, a car like this just isn't in the cards for me. It's like really cute girl you had a crush on in high school. You'd love to date her, but for whatever reason you can't. So instead I admire these from afar.
Who knows. Maybe someday.

For real, man. The G8 only dates the jerk quarterbacks. If only you could steal her away and show her what a real gentleman is like.
OR... the G8 got a PO on you and you literally can only watch from afar?

·
Registered
18,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: (vwwtchr)

Quote, originally posted by vwwtchr »
What would happen if you install an avic. Is there no functionality left with the AC?

The AC controls, radio controls and display are all one unit. If you replace it, you loose all those functions, save for the radio. I am sure there is some electronics guru out there that could separate the AC controls from the main unit, and then trace the output/display wires and create his own display. Unfortunately, I am not said person.
That said, an Australian company called JHP has adapted center console pieces from other Holden models to work with any of the 4.3" Garmin GPS units. I have purchase this, but have yet to install it. Here is a picture:

·
Registered
10,988 Posts
Well it's no 1975 corvette.
I participated in a quick 0-75 jaunt with a G8 GT a few days ago. My GTI was a good car length off the Pontiac and it was pulling away pretty hard at that point.
The test driver cars run on 89 octane, the car recommends 91 or better. That's probably 25 hp right there.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
Re: (Krazee)

Havent gotten the chance to drive one of these but I'd love to give it a shot.

·
Registered
18,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote, originally posted by VTECeateR »

The test driver cars run on 89 octane, the car recommends 91 or better. That's probably 25 hp right there.

I dont know...in theory, yea sure...but I have been running 87 octane for probably 98% of my fill-ups. I did not 93 for maybe the first 4-5, but since then it has been all 87. I do not remember a drop off in performance.
PS: I can get 28mpg on the highway with 87octane. Granted, I am at 55mph, but still

·
Registered
13,591 Posts
FV-QR

The G8 is truly an astonishing amount of car for the money. I'm glad to hear its treated you well. Even though they've been out for 18 months my head turns every time I see one.
I still firmly believe that if the Genesis did not exist I would be driving one of these today. As it stands, I'd love to own one someday, but it will probably have to be used. It's a shame GM couldn't have made a case to include this in their lineup. It really was/is a few very small changes (mainly feature content) away from being the perfect sedan for my needs/wants.

I hope it continues to treat you well as the miles rack up....keep us posted!

·
Registered
18,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
For me, it was a toss up between the G8 and the Genesis. In the end, my preference for sport won out over luxury. I still do like the Genesis alot, and if luxury is my preference in 4 years, I'll definitely go for the Genesis.

·
Registered
4,600 Posts

I'm glad you are enjoying your car, I have had a G8 itch ever since the GXP came out, sadly the wife says no.

If the goat was to be totaled the car that would replace it is a liquid red G8 GXP with the black interior.

·
Registered
12,435 Posts
Re: (blue75vette)

Quote, originally posted by blue75vette »
Either these things gain a bunch of power after break-in, or the large salesman in the backseat weighed far more than I thought... but I wasn't terribly impressed with the acceleration of the g8gt I test drove. I probably only had it floored from 35ish to 70ish, but I was overall quite disappointed.

No it's not pants sh_'n fast but with four people in the car we have pulled on some pretty decently modded cars. It's a sleeper that has some hesitation at first....it's fast trust me.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts