VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2009 VW Jetta
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know where it's leaking from, but I'm really just wondering what to expect in terms of repair cost, is this the death of ole reliable, and when to just sell this one. 130k miles and it had an oil leak that was repaired in April, also a brake recall in July. I'm really new to cars, and this is my first VW, so apologies for the naïve.

·
Registered
283 Posts
It really depends on where the leak's coming from. Over time, German cars seem to really have issues with their gaskets and seals. Perhaps it's because they pack a very high temp turbo engine in a very small engine compartment and use lots and lots of plastic parts.

Thankfully, if the leaks are caught early enough, it won't damage the engine/transmission. You just gotta spend the $$$/labor to take everything apart and put in a new gasket.

Some leaks like the rear main seal leak are expensive because it's where the engine and the transmission meets. So you need to basically take out the engine to replace a $10 gasket. Some leaks, like the oil pain/transmission pan, are cheap to do because they're easily accessible.

My advice is to find a independent mechanic that specializes in VW/Audi cars with a good reputation. Going to the dealers will cause your repair bills to skyrocket past the value of the car very quickly. Most of the cost will be labor and everyone uses the same labor time (book rate), but the $$$ they charge per hour varies with the dealers here in Souther California going way past $200/hr.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.