VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All I'm new here....I'd thought I'd share what has been happening to me re: my VW Tiguan over the past month, Please read and comment:

Please be advised that I noted to both Northland Volkswagen and Volkswagen Canada on several occasions that I would contact the media, utilize social media and other methods of reporting if they failed to meet their promises. I hoping that someone will hear this and help avoid other from running into the same issues I have with: failed products, empty promises and tens of thousands of dollars’ worth of repairs , that leave an already struggling family essentially crippled and at the mercy of a large corporation!!!

It has been two days short of one month the Volkswagen has had my vehicle and have been review and assessing paperwork!!! Before I begin here; I want to reiterate the risks of having a faulty timing chain tensioner, causing catastrophic engine failure. It one takes one catastrophic failure to cause:

1. Damage to person or property,
2. Pain and Suffering
3. Mental Anguish and,
4. (heaven forbid) loss of life.

The risk that was placed on myself, my 4 year old son, 2 year old daughter, common law wife and to other families on the road in driving a vehicle that has such an “issue” was astronomical!!!! And unacceptable. and the lack of seriousness taken toward this matter by Volkswagen Canada, it representatives a and Northland Volkswagen is atrociously abysmal.

As I understand it Capita │ Customer Management was engaged by Volkswagen Canada in 2006 and currently act as their customer service representatives. So I can only assume that it was Capita │ Customer Management on behalf of Volkswagen Canada that verified that Layton would be calling me back in a hour and have failed again to meet their promised deadlines (FYI I called back after the one hour deadline and was told the by the agent I spoke with supervisors computer system “crashed” and that she was dealing with “payroll “issues” I’m currently on hold to see if she can take my call…that, in my opinion is laughable, I am now being told “Layton” is currently on the phone with Northland Volkswagen, I just called Northland Volkswagen to confirm that they were FINALLY dealing with the issue and sure enough!!!! they are NOT on the phone with Volkswagen as I was previously told.) and still no phone call back, I had to follow up with them the following day where I was told that "I just got your file: and we need a ticket No. to process it after a MONTH they still do not have the proper documentation in order to assess my file and, not so much as a courtesy call to inform me of the status or what documentation is required from the dealership where I purchased the vehicle. I am left with little choice other than:

1. To send this email.
2. contact the media.
3. Place the following information of Facebook, linkdin and twitter.
4. Inform people (after conversations with 3rd party mechanics and Northland Volkswagens own mechanics) that failure of the timing chain tensioner (and ultimate engine failure) will additional $10,000.00 when (not if) it fails to replace the engine.

We paid +/- $42,000.00 dollars for a “higher end” vehicle (2009 VW Tiguan Highline Trim) with the anticipation that we would have a good reliable vehicle for years to come (well after our payment on it had ended). We have NOT!! We have put thousands of dollars into the vehicle for repairs and excess maintenance (i.e 2 sets of 120,000 km rated tires less than 140,000 KM we are now on our third set of tires) I understand that VW does not manufacturer tires however, it speaks to the balancing and alignment provided by the Service dealer.

1. Our e-brake has not worked for almost the entire duration of our ownership of the vehicle, where my vehicle was in a Boyds autobody, the VW representative confirmed verbally to Boyds autobody (after they engagen the electronic e-make and could not release it) that it was a “know” issue by Volkswagen Canada and they have not yet issued a recall of it.
2. The headlights have not worked in almost 6 months due to faulty fuse boxes.
3. The breaks we not aligned properly after a service causing excessive squealing (we took the vehicle to a separate mechanical and they verified that the breaks were installed too close to the rotors)
4. We has a D service performed a week later our EPC light went on, the air filter was not installed and the filter housing was not screwed down properly causing the emission light to go on I don’t know what level of damage this could have caused by not having a proper filter.
5. We had to replace the EPC valve as it was leaking causing the dash to light up like a Christmas tree and the engine stalling out. We replaced that on our own dime.
6. And a myriad of other issues related to design and service of the vehicle.
7. Lastly out timing chain tensioner failed causing catastrophic engine failure. This is an un-maintainable piece of equipment and has been verified verbally to me by third party mechanical that the desing of the timing chain tensioner is a know flaw.

I am having difficulty understanding the information being relayed to be both by Capita │ Customer Management (outsourcing agent for Volkswagen Canada) and Northland Volkswagen dealership in Calgary Alberta. According to the detailed notes I have taken during out telephone calls, it is apparent that necessary and relevant information:

1. is being relayed incorrectly.
2. Is not being transferred / Communicated effectively and in a timely manner.
3. Is not being taken with the level of seriousness that is conducive to “good business practices” it has taken a month to convey/disseminate documentation and perform proper reviews.
4. Information relayed to me via telephone call from both parties is contradictory.
5. Deadlines and timelines of when information was sent and received is also contradictory.
6. Information on who is responsible for items of payment (i.e. rental vehicle) has been contradictory.

I have little confidence that Volkswagen Canada is even aware of the matter let alone the seriousness of it; as Capita │ Customer management can only provide verbal “assurance” to me that VW Canada is aware of the matter however, they have refused to provide any information with respect to the personnel at VW Canada that has taken the time to review and address the matter.

As for the dealership, they have the option of fixing our vehicle and dealing with the money matters subsequently between themselves and Volkswagen Canada but, what I can only assume (and in my opinion) is in the interest of their bottom line have chosen not to.

The following is a chronological sequence of events that clearly shows the level of disservice that is being provided.

1. The vehicle was delivered to Northland Volkswagen on the 16th of June 2014.
2. I was told that the Diagnostic and Price quote were completed and submitted to VW Canada on the 20th of June.
3. 24th of June 2014 Capita │ Customer Management on behalf of Volkswagen Canada indicated that they had received only verbal information from Norhtland Volkswagen and required the correct documentation. (this is contrary to what Northland Volkswagen had conveyed to me).
4. 25th of June 2014 I was told by Northland that the matter was “escalated” based on the verbal conversations between VW Canada and Northland but, Capita │ Customer Management on behalf of Volkswagen Canada again requested the correct documentation.
5. 26th Capita │ Customer Management on behalf of Volkswagen Canada again had a conversation with Northland requesting the documentation.
6. 27th of June 2014 Capita │ Customer Management on behalf of Volkswagen Canada again had a conversation with Northland requesting the documentation.
7. 1st of July Northland Volkswagen requested my service logs form me.
8. 4th of July I dropped off the requested logs to Dan Webber at Northland Volkswagen.
9. July 07th 2014, Northland Volkswagen has still not submitted any of the documentation despite assurances that the diagnostic and price quite being completed on the 20th of June.
10. July 07th 2014 Northland Volkswagen apparently tried to fax over the information to Capita │ Customer Management customer service representative of Volkswagen Canada and an email request was completed (I have no knowledge of this actually being completed that day, so I cannot put a timeline to it.
11. July 8th 2014, I was assured by Northland Volkswagen that I would have a response by Friday July 11th , 2014 however the Service manager for Northland Volkswagen was leaving on holidays.
12. July 11, 2014, I was told by Northland Volkswagen that the matter .
13. It is now the 17th and I have been told that my issued would be dealt with within the hour! When I called back (very close to or just past the hour mark) I was told:
a. The supervisor’s computer crashed.
b. She was dealing with payroll “issues”
c. And that she was now currently (2:56 PM MST) was talking with Northland Volkswagen

This is unacceptable!!!! We should NOT have to replace the engine in a 5 year old $42,000.00 vehicle!!!! With only -/+ 140 k on it!!!!!! In addition we should not have to pay any amount to have the engine replaced!!!! Or better yet Volkswagen Canada could have offered a replacement vehicle, as it sits now, I have no vehicle (and my family relies on the one we did purchase), no promises of compensation, I’m paying monthly finance and insurance fees, incurring rental vehicle costs and putting mileage and maintenance on my father’s vehicle to go buy groceries and perform other essential daily tasks and STILL have no indication of resolution.

I anyone can Please help!!!

Disappointed and distraught,

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Welcome to Vortex!

You're far from being alone on this issues.. Its across the board on the TSI motor line.

Keep on them about it!

Side note.. My buddy's 2013 bug with 44k miles had its tensioner fail the other weekend.. He is in the holding pattern as well with VWoA on if it will be covered by them.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Sorry about your situation. Unfortunately, anything that would be done at this point by the dealer and VW would be classified as good will. Once the warranty is gone, it's on you. They are not going to offer a replacement vehicle as you desire. I also doubt that they are going to cover the full repair cost. At most, you can expect them to offer to share some of the cost or offer a discount on another car. I don't know the Canadian consumer protection laws regarding vehicles but it may be helpful for you to investigate them.

This issue is known with the TSI engine and VW has decided not to warn it's customers to invest in a 600 U.S.D service once these cars reach high mileage to replace the tensioner. It's very unfortunate and they are going to pay the price for that decision. VW doesn't have a sterling reputation for reliability and stuff like this that happens every few weeks does nothing but further undermine that reputation.

Your best bet probably is to contact your local TV/newspaper consumer advocate reporter to see if they can help you extract a pound of flesh from VW. If they are going to make an engine that can not go the distance like other manufacturers, it's time this is brought forth to the public en mass so they can take their licks.

I don't know if pursuing a court case will help but it did for the 1.8T timing belt issue. Look it up but the jist is the belts were failing before the recommended service period and VW was leaving owner's holding the bag. A class action lawsuit followed and VW/Audi was forced to Re-emburst owners cost of repair and they offered a free - of - charge belt inspection. VW has had issues with VR6, 2.5L, 4.2L, and now the TSI (1.4, 1.8, & 2.0) timing chain tensioners over the years. You would think that after all this time they would purchase and test a reliable design. I guess some people learn things the hard way.

The responsible thing to do is to warn customer to replace that tensioner once the powertrain warranty is expired.

Every time this happens, I give the same speech in hopes it reaches those out there with a future engine grenade on their hands but they just keep coming. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Side note.. My buddy's 2013 bug with 44k miles had its tensioner fail the other weekend.. He is in the holding pattern as well with VWoA on if it will be covered by them.
There's got to be more to this story than this. A 44,000 mile, 2013 Beetle is within the powertrain warranty coverage. VW would be in breach of a contract if they denied coverage. What's the rest of the story? Tuned? Mods? Poor service? Abuse?

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
There's got to be more to this story than this. A 44,000 mile, 2013 Beetle is within the powertrain warranty coverage. VW would be in breach of a contract if they denied coverage. What's the rest of the story? Tuned? Mods? Poor service? Abuse?
Oh its at the Dealer now, what I meant was more that a TSI motor with just 40k+ miles just had the failure.

He is on air with stage one tune.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same Situation in May 2009

Brian, I had almost an identical situation in May of 2009. I have had a number of issues with my 2009 Tiguan. I have had to pay for out of pocket on many of these repairs that in my opinion are manufacturing defects. I am convinced that my vehicle was/is a lemon. I also don't think very highly of the reliability of VWs in comparison to other vehicles. Any car can have issues but it is what the company does at that point to stand behind their product that says more about them than about resting on their laurels.

At 158,000 the timing chain went and I received the same treatment you did. In fact they said these things happen all the time. That doesn't say much for the reliability of a VW then. After much arguing with customer service, mentioned the recall on the 1.8T engines, etc. it was the dealership that went to bat for me to broker a deal so I wasn't on the hook for the full price. I had to pay approximately $4,300 to replace the engine in the end.

I swear I will NEVER buy another VW product. Too expensive to maintain and very disappointed with my experience.

Kyle

Hi All I'm new here....I'd thought I'd share what has been happening to me re: my VW Tiguan over the past month, Please read and comment:

Please be advised that I noted to both Northland Volkswagen and Volkswagen Canada on several occasions that I would contact the media, utilize social media and other methods of reporting if they failed to meet their promises. I hoping that someone will hear this and help avoid other from running into the same issues I have with: failed products, empty promises and tens of thousands of dollars’ worth of repairs , that leave an already struggling family essentially crippled and at the mercy of a large corporation!!!

It has been two days short of one month the Volkswagen has had my vehicle and have been review and assessing paperwork!!! Before I begin here; I want to reiterate the risks of having a faulty timing chain tensioner, causing catastrophic engine failure. It one takes one catastrophic failure to cause:

2. Pain and Suffering
3. Mental Anguish and,

The risk that was placed on myself, my 4 year old son, 2 year old daughter, common law wife and to other families on the road in driving a vehicle that has such an “issue” was astronomical!!!! And unacceptable. and the lack of seriousness taken toward this matter by Volkswagen Canada, it representatives a and Northland Volkswagen is atrociously abysmal.

As I understand it Capita │ Customer Management was engaged by Volkswagen Canada in 2006 and currently act as their customer service representatives. So I can only assume that it was Capita │ Customer Management on behalf of Volkswagen Canada that verified that Layton would be calling me back in a hour and have failed again to meet their promised deadlines (FYI I called back after the one hour deadline and was told the by the agent I spoke with supervisors computer system “crashed” and that she was dealing with “payroll “issues” I’m currently on hold to see if she can take my call…that, in my opinion is laughable, I am now being told “Layton” is currently on the phone with Northland Volkswagen, I just called Northland Volkswagen to confirm that they were FINALLY dealing with the issue and sure enough!!!! they are NOT on the phone with Volkswagen as I was previously told.) and still no phone call back, I had to follow up with them the following day where I was told that "I just got your file: and we need a ticket No. to process it after a MONTH they still do not have the proper documentation in order to assess my file and, not so much as a courtesy call to inform me of the status or what documentation is required from the dealership where I purchased the vehicle. I am left with little choice other than:

1. To send this email.
2. contact the media.
4. Inform people (after conversations with 3rd party mechanics and Northland Volkswagens own mechanics) that failure of the timing chain tensioner (and ultimate engine failure) will additional $10,000.00 when (not if) it fails to replace the engine.

We paid +/- $42,000.00 dollars for a “higher end” vehicle (2009 VW Tiguan Highline Trim) with the anticipation that we would have a good reliable vehicle for years to come (well after our payment on it had ended). We have NOT!! We have put thousands of dollars into the vehicle for repairs and excess maintenance (i.e 2 sets of 120,000 km rated tires less than 140,000 KM we are now on our third set of tires) I understand that VW does not manufacturer tires however, it speaks to the balancing and alignment provided by the Service dealer.

1. Our e-brake has not worked for almost the entire duration of our ownership of the vehicle, where my vehicle was in a Boyds autobody, the VW representative confirmed verbally to Boyds autobody (after they engagen the electronic e-make and could not release it) that it was a “know” issue by Volkswagen Canada and they have not yet issued a recall of it.
3. The breaks we not aligned properly after a service causing excessive squealing (we took the vehicle to a separate mechanical and they verified that the breaks were installed too close to the rotors)
4. We has a D service performed a week later our EPC light went on, the air filter was not installed and the filter housing was not screwed down properly causing the emission light to go on I don’t know what level of damage this could have caused by not having a proper filter.
5. We had to replace the EPC valve as it was leaking causing the dash to light up like a Christmas tree and the engine stalling out. We replaced that on our own dime.
7. Lastly out timing chain tensioner failed causing catastrophic engine failure. This is an un-maintainable piece of equipment and has been verified verbally to me by third party mechanical that the desing of the timing chain tensioner is a know flaw.

I am having difficulty understanding the information being relayed to be both by Capita │ Customer Management (outsourcing agent for Volkswagen Canada) and Northland Volkswagen dealership in Calgary Alberta. According to the detailed notes I have taken during out telephone calls, it is apparent that necessary and relevant information:

3. Is not being taken with the level of seriousness that is conducive to “good business practices” it has taken a month to convey/disseminate documentation and perform proper reviews.
4. Information relayed to me via telephone call from both parties is contradictory.
5. Deadlines and timelines of when information was sent and received is also contradictory.
6. Information on who is responsible for items of payment (i.e. rental vehicle) has been contradictory.

I have little confidence that Volkswagen Canada is even aware of the matter let alone the seriousness of it; as Capita │ Customer management can only provide verbal “assurance” to me that VW Canada is aware of the matter however, they have refused to provide any information with respect to the personnel at VW Canada that has taken the time to review and address the matter.

As for the dealership, they have the option of fixing our vehicle and dealing with the money matters subsequently between themselves and Volkswagen Canada but, what I can only assume (and in my opinion) is in the interest of their bottom line have chosen not to.

The following is a chronological sequence of events that clearly shows the level of disservice that is being provided.

2. I was told that the Diagnostic and Price quote were completed and submitted to VW Canada on the 20th of June.
3. 24th of June 2014 Capita │ Customer Management on behalf of Volkswagen Canada indicated that they had received only verbal information from Norhtland Volkswagen and required the correct documentation. (this is contrary to what Northland Volkswagen had conveyed to me).
4. 25th of June 2014 I was told by Northland that the matter was “escalated” based on the verbal conversations between VW Canada and Northland but, Capita │ Customer Management on behalf of Volkswagen Canada again requested the correct documentation.
5. 26th Capita │ Customer Management on behalf of Volkswagen Canada again had a conversation with Northland requesting the documentation.
6. 27th of June 2014 Capita │ Customer Management on behalf of Volkswagen Canada again had a conversation with Northland requesting the documentation.
8. 4th of July I dropped off the requested logs to Dan Webber at Northland Volkswagen.
9. July 07th 2014, Northland Volkswagen has still not submitted any of the documentation despite assurances that the diagnostic and price quite being completed on the 20th of June.
10. July 07th 2014 Northland Volkswagen apparently tried to fax over the information to Capita │ Customer Management customer service representative of Volkswagen Canada and an email request was completed (I have no knowledge of this actually being completed that day, so I cannot put a timeline to it.
11. July 8th 2014, I was assured by Northland Volkswagen that I would have a response by Friday July 11th , 2014 however the Service manager for Northland Volkswagen was leaving on holidays.
13. It is now the 17th and I have been told that my issued would be dealt with within the hour! When I called back (very close to or just past the hour mark) I was told:
c. And that she was now currently (2:56 PM MST) was talking with Northland Volkswagen

This is unacceptable!!!! We should NOT have to replace the engine in a 5 year old $42,000.00 vehicle!!!! With only -/+ 140 k on it!!!!!! In addition we should not have to pay any amount to have the engine replaced!!!! Or better yet Volkswagen Canada could have offered a replacement vehicle, as it sits now, I have no vehicle (and my family relies on the one we did purchase), no promises of compensation, I’m paying monthly finance and insurance fees, incurring rental vehicle costs and putting mileage and maintenance on my father’s vehicle to go buy groceries and perform other essential daily tasks and STILL have no indication of resolution.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Im in the same boat, timing chain tensioner failed last Monday. :(

VW wants to be a major player in North America but their product quality suck, it is BS to say the least no other manufacturer has a engines that fail at 120000 km (75000 miles) and turn their backs on their customers.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Im in the same boat, timing chain tensioner failed last Monday. :(

VW wants to be a major player in North America but their product quality suck, it is BS to say the least no other manufacturer has a engines that fail at 120000 km (75000 miles) and turn their backs on their customers.
I wouldn't go that far...a few Charger 5.7L engines were failing prematurely and the manufacture left owners holding the bag. The Sonata owners who are filing a class action lawsuit may disagree also. Some Subaru owners are complaining about head gaskets and piston rings. While this should not happen, it happens here and there. VW doesn't hold a monopoly.

VW has had too many timing belt/chain events to satisfy me but they are not singularly the only ones with catastrophic failures who buried their heads in the sand once the warranty expires.. That being said, every time this happens in this forum I try to warn people to swap the tensioner out.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
For anyone reading this and it hasn't happened to them yet, here is what I have found out in recent weeks:
a) My VW contacts believe a change was made mid-2012 but they haven't received irrefutible confirmation on this.
b) The prices of these failures range from the low $4,000s (like $4,300 mentioned above) to as much as $7,000.
c) I got a reliable estimate of $1,700 to do a preemptive fix on my Eos.

As for my Eos, I chose to sell it rather than go the $1,700 fix. My reasoning involved many factors -- most of which personal and, perhaps, not all that universal. Eos was a good car, and owning it for 5½ years did not make me tire of it or be disappointed with it. If other factors weren't in play, I would have paid the $1,700. After all, I paid $750-$1,200 for a timing belt replacement (varying by car and engine) knowing another replacement would be needed sometime in the future.

That does bring me to what could have been "d" in the above list. There is no track record for knowing if this "fix" is genuinely a fix.

If VW did quietly make the change mid-2012, these cars and those that were repaired, replaced or preemptively fixed do not have the service time for anyone to know if they are a ticking time bomb. These failures can come at any time with no relationship to how the cars were maintained. Failures have been seen by my favorite shop at 60,000 and at 160,000 and in between. There have been failures for maticulous owners at 75,000. My Eos had 79,400 when it got its 80,000-mile service and oil change, so I decided I had to act quickly -- especially when other owners often received no warning. It just so happened I was able to sell Eos 38 miles later.

Just because Tiggy and TiggeR are both post-2012 and have extended warranties beyond the new car warranty that came with them doesn't mean I won't be following this and similar threads. Who knows? Maybe VWoA will take action or be forced into action, and I may have regretted selling Eos as I have many of my other cars parked in memory.

·
Registered
2 Posts
TSB Timing Chain

Just to clarify, it was May of 2013 when my timing chain went.

In my research I did find that there was a technical service bulletin for failing timing chains on the 2.0 engine. When I questioned a mechanic as to why not a recall he said that genera recalls are forced by governments. If a recall was issued then VW would be on responsible for all the costs incurred to replace the engine. A TSB is a convenient way to let their service techs know it is an issue without necessarily acknowledging that it is a major problem. In essence, they are responsible but aren't. I would love a recall to recoup all that money I put out. Really, I had little choice but to replace the engine since a car has little value without one. Not only that, my vehicle wouldn't be worth enough to meet selling it or trading it in. In addition to that, with a brand new engine I felt that I would be foolish to give up a car that had a new engine in it.

Well played VW. No matter what you got me.

M
For anyone reading this and it hasn't happened to them yet, here is what I have found out in recent weeks:
a) My VW contacts believe a change was made mid-2012 but they haven't received irrefutible confirmation on this.
b) The prices of these failures range from the low $4,000s (like $4,300 mentioned above) to as much as $7,000.
c) I got a reliable estimate of $1,700 to do a preemptive fix on my Eos.

As for my Eos, I chose to sell it rather than go the $1,700 fix. My reasoning involved many factors -- most of which personal and, perhaps, not all that universal. Eos was a good car, and owning it for 5½ years did not make me tire of it or be disappointed with it. If other factors weren't in play, I would have paid the $1,700. After all, I paid $750-$1,200 for a timing belt replacement (varying by car and engine) knowing another replacement would be needed sometime in the future.

That does bring me to what could have been "d" in the above list. There is no track record for knowing if this "fix" is genuinely a fix.

If VW did quietly make the change mid-2012, these cars and those that were repaired, replaced or preemptively fixed do not have the service time for anyone to know if they are a ticking time bomb. These failures can come at any time with no relationship to how the cars were maintained. Failures have been seen by my favorite shop at 60,000 and at 160,000 and in between. There have been failures for maticulous owners at 75,000. My Eos had 79,400 when it got its 80,000-mile service and oil change, so I decided I had to act quickly -- especially when other owners often received no warning. It just so happened I was able to sell Eos 38 miles later.

Just because Tiggy and TiggeR are both post-2012 and have extended warranties beyond the new car warranty that came with them doesn't mean I won't be following this and similar threads. Who knows? Maybe VWoA will take action or be forced into action, and I may have regretted selling Eos as I have many of my other cars parked in memory.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2010 Tiguan Timing Chain Tensioner at 96,000 miles - $7,000 plus.....

Same thing here, no warning, car was maintained regularly. Paid dealer to replace a main seal last year, no one said a word about a TSB or the risk that my timing chain / engine had a ticking time bomb. I expected to have this car for many years and would have absolutely replaced it if recommended. Dealer denied this was a common problem, when I called German Auto Specialist for a second opinion, he said this is a known problem and cut your losses. Thanks a whole lot VW. Please update if you have any luck with this!

2. Pain and Suffering
3. Mental Anguish and,

1. To send this email.
2. contact the media.

·
Registered
3 Posts
2.0l TSI Passat

CP, my 2010 Passat had the Timing Belt Tensioner go last week and I'm being led down a similar path; the dealership is stating that they will "go to bat for me" with VW. We'll see about that, I'm hoping for some assistance since the car has had a history of upper engine issues while on warranty. The tensioner went at 68K miles, just in time for the warranty to expire! The TSB issued on 23 July 2012 covers ALL MODELS with the 2.0l TSI engine; I understand you were out of warranty too.

I also understand that VW decided to NOT announce a recall due to the number of failures being reported; instead allowing failures and taking action on warrantied vehicles. All this, probably due to cost factors? Problem is that if you happen to be over the mileage, just out of warranty, you're screwed!

My situation was that the dealership offered a 'lifetime' drivetrain warranty on this and all their vehicles. The caveat, not ONE single maintenance recommendation can be missed during anytime, otherwise... invalid warranty! Sooooo... I'm at the mercy of VW and the dealership; not sure how much a new motor will cost me but at least this didn't happen on the freeway at 70mph!

Have you had any success?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Interestng. 2010 tig w 75k timing chain tensioner failure catastrophic.

:confused: we recently purchased a used 10 4 motion auto with the thought that a chain driven vs belt car would be more reliable. My wife went to start the car in a parking lot and the tensioner failed with no warning and we lost the motor. I called VW of america and they will not offer any assistance as you already know. We need to start a campaign so that all tsi owners dont run into this same issue. I strongly urge everyone that has not replaced this timing chain tensioner to do so NOW.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just had the same thing happen this morning on my 2011, 74,000 mile 2.0 TSI Tiguan. Loud metallic noise at start up, now it has no compression. Removed rubber (rubber, really?) cam inspection plugs, cams are turning. Towing it to the dealership...

·
Registered
1 Posts
2011 Tiguan with 73,000 miles same issue

Just had the same thing happen this morning on my 2011, 74,000 mile 2.0 TSI Tiguan. Loud metallic noise at start up, now it has no compression. Removed rubber (rubber, really?) cam inspection plugs, cams are turning. Towing it to the dealership...
We have almost the same exact issue. Here was our curveball. We were in Watertown, NY when it happened and we live in VA Beach, VA. Ended up renting a U-Haul and towing it home. Horrible experience! We've kept up with oil changes and have done all maintenance at the dealership, yet they never mentioned anything about maintenance on the tensioner. Have you made any headway with the dealership or VWofA? Unfortunately for us we our 10k plus past the powertrain warranty.

·
Registered
5,281 Posts
My wife's 2011 Tiguan SE 4MO at 106,000 miles had tensioner failure. Well out of factory warranty and 6 months out of purchased extended warranty. So of course VWoA "can't do anything for you", dealership offered me a discounted quote on engine replacement of $6200.00.

I had just replaced tires and brakes at all 4 corners to the tune of over $2000.00, so spending another 6K is not happening right now.

So disgusted with VW at this point, knowing full well that these timing chain tensioners (which is not a scheduled maintenance item) are faulty and refusing to do a recall.

She bought the Tiguan (CPO) not even 2 years ago and still has a $14k balance on the loan. :banghead:

·
Registered
15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Same for my wife's. 2009 Tiguan with a failed tensioner.....and I've been tearing my hair out with it. I pulled it apart, replaced the intakes vales, buttoned it up and it ran okish but clearly not right....low compression on cylinder 1&2 (60&85psi) with 155/160 on 3/4 but less than 2% leak-down on all 4 cylinder...hmmmm. Tooking apart and reset the timing...no change.

I just realized last night that while my intake cam has 6 lobes all timed the same and 2 retarded (1 each in cylinder 1&2) that's not the way its supposed to be. I saw it and thought it odd when I was fixing the head but it never occurred to my cam lobes could move so that must be how its supposed to be...but I guess these are pressed on so they can move when the valve crash into the pistons...DOH! Hopefully a new cam will get it up and running properly :banghead:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Same for my wife's. 2009 Tiguan with a failed tensioner.....and I've been tearing my hair out with it. I pulled it apart, replaced the intakes vales, buttoned it up and it ran okish but clearly not right....low compression on cylinder 1&2 (60&85psi) with 155/160 on 3/4 but less than 2% leak-down on all 4 cylinder...hmmmm. Tooking apart and reset the timing...no change.

I just realized last night that while my intake cam has 6 lobes all timed the same and 2 retarded (1 each in cylinder 1&2) that's not the way its supposed to be. I saw it and thought it odd when I was fixing the head but it never occurred to my cam lobes could move so that must be how its supposed to be...but I guess these are pressed on so they can move when the valve crash into the pistons...DOH! Hopefully a new cam will get it up and running properly :banghead:
I'm REALLY cheap so I din't buy a new cam. Instead today I pulled the cam, pressed off the 2 offending lodes, used a straight edge to line them up with the non-offending lobes, pressed them back on, put it back together. Success! It drives nice and no check engine light.

I think it's finally done.

·
Registered
27 Posts
With the exception of Hondas i bought in the 80's extended warranties have always paid for them self: Jeep x 6, VW x7, Porsche X3 and 2 Hondas. 100,000 mile, bumper to bumper. Then at 99k miles I trade in if I have reached that which I do a lot. Better to be safe and not go through all this aggravation.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts