1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DIY: 2010 JSW Bluetooth Upgrade

EDIT: DIY added 20091031
DIY: Link

So, yeah it's pretty much plug and play.
The stock bluetooth module is located in a styrofoam box velcro'd to the carpet underneath the passenger seat. I replaced it with a 1Z0 035 729 C module and the the antenna that goes with the module.
I had to code the bluetooth module and I had to code the steering wheel to change the microphone button from mute to voice command, but that was it. The phonebook is in the mfi now and voice commands work. I reused the styrofoam block. The new module is slightly bigger but it fits; I had to make a cutout for the external bluetooth antenna.
It may be coding problems, but it looks like I lost two functions: no A2DP and the phone buttons on the overhead panel don't seem to work. A2DP isn't a big deal for me, I'm kinda sad about the overhead buttons.

This is the module in the box right before I flipped it over and put it back under the seat. The antenna is the black piece sticking out on the bottom right hand side.

Modified by aenea at 10:56 AM 11-1-2009

·
Registered
16 Posts
Re: 2010 JSW Bluetooth upgrade (aenea)

If you don't mind sharing where did you get the new module and how much did it cost? I have a JSW on order and would love to add this feature.
Damon

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: 2010 JSW Bluetooth upgrade (dwbuster_)

Bud, on the ask-a-parts-guy thread says that he can sell it for $468.
There's also a guy in Poland who sells them on ebay.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: 2010 JSW Bluetooth upgrade (bubuski)

iphone 3g and a sidekick. I don't believe either supports rsap.
Quote, originally posted by bubuski »
What cell phone are you using? Does it have to be rSap compatible?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Re: 2010 JSW Bluetooth upgrade (aenea)

awesome, - and by programming you mean via VAG-COM?
kinda disappointed though in that I was hoping the modules were the same and it could all be enabled via a software flash.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: 2010 JSW Bluetooth upgrade (rvinny)

Yeah, vag-com. I'll plan on doing a little write up this weekend.
The modules were completley different. The original one has a plastic shell, seems to have an internal antenna, and I think had a different manufacturer, so I don't think there are any reflash possiblilities. They probably stripped out the bits that understand voice commands to get the cheaper 9w2 unit.

Modified by aenea at 12:14 PM 10-30-2009

·
Registered
25 Posts
9W3 upgrade question

Do you happen to have an RNS-510 in the car, too? Any idea if phone control through the touchscreen on that unit would work for phone functionality with the new unit you installed? (would the same be true for RCD-510?)
If the part you're talking about makes the MFI and the phone display on the RNS-510 functional, I'll be really excited...
Let us know, and definitely to a write up!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Re: 9W3 upgrade question (tdiboston)

+1
Quote, originally posted by tdiboston »
Do you happen to have an RNS-510 in the car, too? Any idea if phone control through the touchscreen on that unit would work for phone functionality with the new unit you installed? (would the same be true for RCD-510?)
If the part you're talking about makes the MFI and the phone display on the RNS-510 functional, I'll be really excited...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Re: 2010 JSW Bluetooth upgrade (iPinch)

Quote, originally posted by iPinch »
now thatyou have 9W3 you loose the 9W2 specific overhead buttoms and the music streaming

Is that stamped certified that you lose BT Streaming Audio? The CC has the 9W3 and has BT Streaming audio doesn't it??

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: 9W3 upgrade question (tdiboston)

Sorry, RCD-510. If someone wants to send me a nav unit, I'll be happy to test it

Quote, originally posted by tdiboston »

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
Re: DIY: 2010 JSW Bluetooth Upgrade (aenea)

OP, you'll lose use of the overhead buttons because the module you installed is designed to work with the MFD and steering wheel buttons. The overhead buttons become superfluous in that instance and the cars that have the 9W3 from the factory do not have the overhead buttons. Not sure why you lost the A2DP because the cars that do come with the 9W3 from the factory also have A2DP. That could be a coding issue. The RCD-510 is not capable of displaying a Phone menu; you have to get the RNS-510 navigation head unit for that.
Any chance you can snap a pic of the styrofoam block's part # and any mounting hardware that there might be under the seat for it?

·
Registered
4,569 Posts
Re: (Hartge330Ci)

Quote, originally posted by Hartge330Ci »
can you access the phone through the RCD-510 as well or just through the MAF?

MAF?? Assuming it were possible (it isn't), I can't imagine it's terribly convenient.

Evidently you meant MFD (aka MFI).

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: DIY: 2010 JSW Bluetooth Upgrade (Pelican18TQA4)

Do you have an example of a car that comes with 9w3 and does a2dp? I'd like to know what group to hit up for coding. I'll see if there's a part number on the styrofoam. The "mounting hardware" is velcro strips that hook on to the carpet.
Quote, originally posted by Pelican18TQA4 »
OP, you'll lose use of the overhead buttons because the module you installed is designed to work with the MFD and steering wheel buttons. The overhead buttons become superfluous in that instance and the cars that have the 9W3 from the factory do not have the overhead buttons. Not sure why you lost the A2DP because the cars that do come with the 9W3 from the factory also have A2DP. That could be a coding issue. The RCD-510 is not capable of displaying a Phone menu; you have to get the RNS-510 navigation head unit for that.
Any chance you can snap a pic of the styrofoam block's part # and any mounting hardware that there might be under the seat for it?

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
Re: DIY: 2010 JSW Bluetooth Upgrade (aenea)

Quote, originally posted by aenea »
Do you have an example of a car that comes with 9w3 and does a2dp? I'd like to know what group to hit up for coding. I'll see if there's a part number on the styrofoam. The "mounting hardware" is velcro strips that hook on to the carpet.

2010 Jetta sedan. Not sure if RNS-510 is a requirement, but I know that the RNS-510 sedans do have the 9W3 and A2DP.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.