VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First some background. We currently have a 17 Alltrack SE, 07 GLI and a newly acquired 12 Fiat 500 Sport (for the kids). Both kids driving now, both have summer jobs, and as much as I hate to say it, we would like to have a fourth car. We had a fourth car, but that was totaled last week, so we are awaiting the insurance payout and are hoping to get about $3k or so.

For the fourth car, it's either get me something and give the daughter my GLI, or keep the GLI and get her something. A few days ago, I saw a 10 JSW, manual, for < $6k. I couldn't believe it. I contacted the seller and they confirmed the price, indicating they did "aggressive" pricing. I was totally surprised as those 10 JSWs usually go for $9k or more. I was all ready to go check it out, when I checked the website and saw the price was now at $9k. I asked my contact about it and he said he'd get back to me... which he never did. I figured someone fat fingered the price when putting it on the site and let it go at that. Even I wouldn't sell something for $3k off based on a simple error, I get it.

Anyway, moving on from the JSW, my daughter and I drove an 07 Passat wagon yesterday (for her) that we both really liked and would likely have to double our $3k to cover (which I'm expecting) the difference. We're planning on testing an 09 Tiguan SEL this weekend for about $6k as well.

But then... this morning, the dealer with the JSW contacted me and asked if I was interested. I said at the lower price, yes, but at the higher $9k price, it was way out of my budget. He then said he could sell it for that price, when did I want to come by?

HMM.

I have contacted him to say I can stop by this afternoon, but haven't heard back yet. Would like to drive it and if it is in excellent condition, a trip to the bank may be necessary to seal the deal. I'd get made .50 whole by the insurance co on the other side as it really would be too good a deal to pass up. If indeed it drives as well as the pictures indicate.

We'll see how it goes.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Whats the milage and motor thats in it? I see o10 SE in cali with 120k go for the $5-6k range. Diesels $7-9k. My buddy just sold an o10 deisel manual with 230k for $6k. Put in new turbo, timing belt and brakes and rotors. If the diesel are in the 120k mileage ask if timing belt has been done. Gas motors run a chain and arent needed unless chain slap is heard which I doubt. Gas motors are able to go an easy 300k miles on og chain.

·
Registered
'11 JSW/GOV TDI 6MT
60 Posts
Picture looks clean. Miles ? We found an '11 TDI 6MT with 160K about 3 hrs away last summer to replace an older Honda CR-V 5MT for about 7200. Ours has been to the deal a couple of times for TDI warranty work, but otherwise has been a good find for us. Do you have a VAG-aware scan tool (e.g., Carista, OBDeleven, Foxwell NT-510) to look for fault codes ?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
107k, 2.5 engine, trim level S. Going to go drive it tomorrow. Looks like it has new tires, cloth interior, same radio that I have in my GLI, pano sunroof. Will definitely give it the once over and ask about the timing chain, but they verbally agreed to the mistaken price of under 6K. So we'll see what happens.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Sounds like a potentially good deal depending on condition, mileage, motor etc etc given the current state of the used car market. I wanted to trade my TDI in for a newer used alltrack since I am driving alot less now and found out they are selling anywhere between 30-35K USED. INSANE. I'll keep the TDI till the wheels fall off at those prices. 2 years ago the same alltrack would have cost me 17k CPO.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Last July I got my 12 2.5 JSW SE 67k for 8k even before tax, and fees. At a dealer.

I would offer 8,000 max and walk away. These insane used car prices can't last forever as the new car shortage will be over eventually.

·
Registered
26 Posts
JSW prices have been rising since the last of the CPO cars were sold. You'll hear stories of great deals but these days that car for $9K is not unreasonable if it's in good shape. The TDIs demand more money, and mileage is a factor; but take every story of buying one two years ago for $6K with a grain of salt. Due to the chip shortage the car market is hot at the moment, and it's the time to sell more so than a time to buy...

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
. I got a deal before the gas hike n covid. O13 tdi with 120k for $5200. Still got 27k or till July 2022 on dieselgate warranty.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update. Got paid out today for the totaled car, more than double what I expected and if this Jetta checked out, I could've covered the purchase completely.

We drove down to the dealer and it was parked in front. From the pictures I had, I noticed thick tire treads, which I took to mean new tires.

Wrong.

It had studded snow tires on it. Strike one.

I opened the tailgate and looked at the spare tire wheel well. There was some moisture but it had been raining all day and it could have spilled off of the tailgate when I opened it. But when I took it the spare tire, there was water under it, way more than just spillage. Strike two.

For fun, I tried starting it anyway and it barely turned over. Likely needed a new battery, easy enough. Foul ball.

Then I looked up. No sunscreen on the pano, completely missing. I didn't even try opening it, I just got out of the car. Strike three.

I thanked the sales guy for his time and headed out. I'm not mechanical enough to fix the issues and didn't want to deal with buying new tires right of the bat. And dealing with a leaky roof in Western Washington? I'mma gonna pass on that.

Sort of bummed out but already have my eye on a blank canvas black 2012 JSW SE with 119k miles for $7500. Will go check it out this weekend.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Are you in the Seattle area? If you strictly want to buy at a dealer. Univ VW in Seattle has always the Best Jetta deals along with the Mazda dealer ship next door for VWs.

I missed out on a 12 Jetta with 25k mines on it 1 owner for 10,299. It sat for a week while I was debating it. Gone the day I went as I saw the new owners signing papers. This past March I think was when the deal was offered.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have looked at nearly every < $7k VW (Jetta or Passat wagon) within 100 miles of Seattle. Facebook Marketplace, Offer Up, True Car, Autotrader, everything. I'm finding that the inventory shortage thing may be true; not a lot of new listings during the week and a lot of the same ones just persisting.

So my insurance payout will cover a good chunk and I'm trying to limit my out of pocket if possible. All the JSWs listed for $9k or above are off the table as I don't want to shell out $2-3k on top of the payout. That white one is definitely a mechanic's special (Carzone Auburn for my Western WA homies that are so inclined), but, as I tell my kids, I'm a musician, not a (insert profession here) mechanic.

Ideally, I find a 2009-2011 JSW, S line is fine, pano is ok (provided it is not leaking), 90-120 on the odometer is OK. Would like to see about upgrading look and radio as/if needed. Finding one for $6-7k is gonna be tough, but I feel like it can be done. I see a red one about 300 miles to the south, but I don't want to drive down there to see it for it to be a dog.

Then again, I did drive a great 07 Passat wagon yesterday (immaculate interior, some minor, expected cosmetic issues on outside) that would 100% fit my budget and be a great (albeit a little long sizewise) first car for my college-age daughter.

Having said all that, the hunt is part of the fun for me and knowing I have a boosted starting point for price is a huge plus.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
If your willing to drive to Southern cali there is some nice ones in your price n miles for $5k-$7k. The stereos aren't that bad. They come stock with in dash 6disc changer. Media card reader and aux line, and iPod adapter. 09 130k $4500 09 is
original owner O14 se 116k $7000

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just got back from driving a 2012 JSW SE 2.5, 120k on it. Definitely had a few issues but nothing that jumped out as a hard no.

Positives:
  • good power
  • shiny paint
  • leather
  • Monster mats
  • working pano and sun shade (no leak)
  • touchscreen radio oem, don't know the model
  • decent tires
  • no real body damage besides a few di ngs

Negatives:
  • tailgate lock works intermittently, sales guy had to climb in to open it.
  • passenger rear window wouldn't open. Could hear motor whirring.
  • brakes a little soft.
  • some cracking on the driver's seat
  • awful, awful wheel covers.
  • noisy timing belt (?). It's the belt on the passenger side of the engine. After driving for about 20 minutes, it quieted down.

All the components in the cabin worked properly, AC blew cold, MFI functioned correctly. MFSW worked, as did the heated seats.

This car is a contender and I think they'd be willing to haggle at this really weird lot. I think the mechanical issues in the tailgate and window are ones I think I can fix with YouTube and Vortex guidance.

With the price I might be able to get it at and the $$ I'd save, I would put that $$ towards upkeep on my GLI and the belt on the JSW.

But we're gonna keep looking for other cars for a few more days. My search for a car for my daughter has been very VW centric and I suppose I should branch out a little.

If we can't find anything better, it may be JSW time after all.

·
Registered
239 Posts
The timing chains are not a concern on any 08+ 2.5 as '08 saw a bunch of improvements/revisions to the motor. The belt noise you heard may well be serpentine belt pulley/tensioner noise. Not a huge repair really, but pretty expensive if you need to replace more than one.

I wouldn't get hungup on just a JSW; the '08+ Rabbits, and 2010-14 Golfs with the 2.5 are out there too, and since I believe this will be your daughter's car, she may like the non-wagon, hatchback style better. I have a 2010 Golf 2.5 manual and absolutely love it.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Keep your daughter out of the diesels unless she's a "car gal". Don't get me wrong about the TDI its one of my favorite cars I've ever owned (bought a CPO 2011 6m in 2/19),, They take a tune and watchful eye really to last. Kind of an enthusiast type category. I got my 69k 6m CPO for 10k out the door for $10k. In hindsite a very good deal and with this Biden made shortage @90k I could get upwards of $15k now... If you must put her in a diesel then make sure its the 2011 up mkVI CJAA. BUT the 2.5 is much cheaper and reliable. The DSG maintenance @ 40k (proof) is also a MUST.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts