VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT / 1994 Miata
1,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of picking up a 2011 328i RWD 6MT with 118k to ride out the market for the next year, already sold my MX-5 and looking to sell my 2018 Accord to carmax. Will it be a money pit? This example seems clean and well maintained and from what I read the N52 is one of the best engines BMW ever made.

Coming from Japanese cars obviously I’m nervous, but I can do minor repairs as long as we aren’t talking timing chains and the like.

It’s Deep sea blue on Saddle interior, no sports package. Always loved the styling.

·
Registered
535 Posts
They can be, but that is a pretty straight forward car. I wouldn't be nervous about it relative to other cars. Good parts availability from BMW too. Just find an indy that works on German cars for the stuff you don't want to handle yourself, and verify that the car is in decent shape. You should be good to go.

·
Registered
1994 E320, 2020 Odyssey
1,713 Posts
The late model NA I-6 BMWs are pretty solid. Driven quite a few that still feel really good. E90 interior trim can be a bit poor-wearing though. That color combo is excellent.

·
Registered
2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
23,606 Posts
I wouldn't hesitate to get a 2011 328i. Great car, the engine is sublime (great sound, smooth power delivery, and despite 335i getting all the attention the 328i has plenty of power), and sharp looks which is sadly a thing of the past for the brand.

·
Registered
2018 Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT / 1994 Miata
1,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Am I wrong in thinking it should hold its value pretty well, being the last year an NA I6 was offered and E90 is known for being a better driving car than generations that came after?

Seller is asking $8500 which I think is perhaps slightly high but not far off.

·
Registered
B8 S4, E30 325ic, both blue
2,410 Posts
N52 is an unsung hero. But it. I wouldn’t say it’ll be a collector car… not even remotely close…. but $8500 is a fair price especially given the color combo, relatively low miles (under the national average!) + manual. Oh and covid-related used car insanity.

There are no more manual naturally aspirated I6 sedans to be made (unless Mazda gives us a TCL wet dream come true with the new 6, but that’s doubtful)… and if you take care of it you will have many miles and smiles for relatively low cost.

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
N52 is an unsung hero. But it. I wouldn’t say it’ll be a collector car… not even remotely close…. but $8500 is a fair price especially given the color combo, relatively low miles (under the national average!) + manual. Oh and covid-related used car insanity.
People said this about run of the mill E30s and now you cant find any for cheap that arent rust buckets

·
Registered
2015 VW GTI, 2021 BMW X5,
1,723 Posts
I’ve had E90, 328i for few years back in 2013, it was a pretty solid car and gave me no trouble for about 40k miles. Probably one of the most reliable modern BMWs. At that mileage you should plan on doing the water pump (they’re electric and will fail), and check for leaking gaskets on valve cover and oil filter housing.

·
Registered
'18 Camry SE, '15 F150 XLT, '98 M3, '91 GTI VR6
4,221 Posts
Pretty hard to find a RWD model, especially up north. A lot of lease-spec 3-series started coming in xDrive for the extra resales.

They don't make cars like that anymore, with an N/A six cylinder, 6-speed, RWD. Sounds like you can afford to scratch that itch, so I say go for it!

·
2011 BMW 328i xDrive Touring 6MT ZSP
48,665 Posts
I've had my 2011 328i xDrive manual wagon for 16 months now. It has almost that many miles on it. Bought it from the original owner who was meticulous about maintenance and repairs. I've only had super minor issues with it so far. These cars drive really well and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

·
Registered
A chili pepper and a little gator.
7,152 Posts
Are you comfortable with a few diy fixes? If yes go for it, you'll love it and they're generally stout where it counts. From what you say I think you'll be fine.

But if not, skip it. Taking it to a mechanic for everything will likely nickel-dime you more than it's worth.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts