VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
'22 S5 SB on order (2nd)
259 Posts
Can it be a reliable DD? Yes, definitely, but at over 100K miles it depends entirely on what maintenance has already been performed,
This example seems clean and well maintained and from what I read the N52 is one of the best engines BMW ever made.
I don't understand the praise.. I owned one for 6 years and I got plenty of ridiculous issue, that could NOT prevented by maintenance. My previous M54 was more robust and had way more character.

The T-shape valve cover is a bad design and in plastic. The first one was replaced under warranty. I had to pay almost a grand for the second. Other leaks too, oil everywhere
Electrical cooling pump and electronic thermostat are expensive to repair. Another 1.5K, including an expensive hose.
Just before end of warranty, they opened and repair the head as it was severely clattering on cold. When I got rid of it, it was developing again.

Also other nonsenses. There was a noise coming from the differential. Dealer wanted me to split repair (good will) and eat 50% of the $3600 estimated repair.

·
Premium Member
6,981 Posts
I don't understand the praise.. I owned one for 6 years and I got plenty of ridiculous issue, that could NOT prevented by maintenance. My previous M54 was more robust and had way more character.

The T-shape valve cover is a bad design and in plastic. The first one was replaced under warranty. I had to pay almost a grand for the second. Other leaks too, oil everywhere
Electrical cooling pump and electronic thermostat are expensive to repair. Another 1.5K, including an expensive hose.
Just before end of warranty, they opened and repair the head as it was severely clattering on cold. When I got rid of it, it was developing again.

Also other nonsenses. There was a noise coming from the differential. Dealer wanted me to split repair (good will) and eat 50% of the $3600 estimated repair.
Really depends on what mileage these issues were occurring, what your use case was, and what year it was because (and I could be misremembering) I believe there were some technical updates to the N52 over the course of the E9x.

·
Registered
2009 BMW 328i, 2017 Acura MDX
4,344 Posts
$1200 valve cover leak?
$1000 rear shocks?
Prices look really high. Dealer service?

OP sorry it didn’t work out. I would have no fear with that car. Heck my daily is 13 years old with 150k miles. Toyota vs BMW, but still.
Even with dealer service, those prices seem high, especially for the shocks. Rear shocks are silly easy in these cars and OEM replacements are <$200 for the set of them. The valve cover gasket is an ~$800 job at the dealer, however, the valve covers on the later cars were updated to integrate the PCV system into a single piece of plastic/valve cover assembly and they can sometimes crack. I wonder if they replaced the valve cover (roughly a $400 part) when they did the service.

Also, annoyingly, its really hard to clean the oil up from the headers when the valve cover leaks. With my current wagon, I had a nice fresh valve cover gasket put on before I got the car (you can see the edge of it, its bright teal) but any time I take my car to the BMW dealer they say I need a valve cover gasket replacement because of the baked on oil on the header.

41 - 43 of 43 Posts