VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I am new here and after debating of going with a jetta, gli or gti i have decided to purchase a GTI :) in June or July i just had a few questions i hope you guys can answer.

1. First off I am thinking of going either Black, Grey, or White i saw and sat in a black and white one and I fell in love. Personally i liked black a little better but i don't want to deal with scratches.

2. I saw that Germany has a Adidas GTI and i was wondering if anyone knows where i can find some of those parts so i can make my GTI a look alike to the Adidas 1. or if anyone has done this already if they have any photos for it here in the usa

3. Any issues that people have come across with owning a GTI i have searched thru the forum and barely saw anything unlike the new jetta which just got recalled :eek:

4. Best dealership to buy the GTI from in NY long island. I have gone to Koppel Volkswagen and they were nice but i just want to know of the best one to go 2.

any thing would help and be appreciated :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've had a shadow blue gti for several months and have no complaints. No issues at all. It's fast and fun to drive.

You might want to check out VW of Manhattan. They beat the next best offer that I received from Platinum VW by several hundred dollars.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Salesman was a nice guy named Alex.
He was very helpful. They had a good inventory and brought down a brand new GTI and offered me a test drive on my first visit.

Good Luck and let us know if he was able to help.

·
Registered
82 Posts
All cars will have a recall or TSBs of some kind, you just have to read what the recalls and TSBs are and make your own judgement call.

There aren't a lot of problems with GTIs - at least not that we can tell from this early on. maybe when the Mk6s are getting to the 5+yr we'll start seeing trends but at this point I'm pretty impressed. All other forums I've belonged to had huge lists of known problems even before the cars were 3 years old. (*ahem* Nissan, *ahem* BMW :banghead:)

Here are some things that help though:

-Built in Germany. You can argue whether different factories have better quality or not but my argument here is that VWs are tested on their own turf and then when they're suitable for export, they're shipped here. So, we're not getting the beta-versions of this car and we never did. Individual cars aren't tested - i just mean that the delay is often caused by "getting it right". Home markets are more forgiving so companies will use them as guinea pigs. (for the record, my experience does show that country of origin does have a slight correlation on quality)

-Mk6s are in their second year of production. Known issues will have been corrected by VW prior to sale. This is why I don't buy cars in their first model year. No matter how much home-market testing they do, there are always issues that are overlooked on M.Y. #1. If you wait until 2012 they'll have even more kinks ironed out.

-Mk6s are very similar to Mk5s (from what I gather), so we're not dealing with cutting-edge stuff. It's all kinda tried and true

-Consumer Reports shows a distinct change in quality around 2007. This would be VWs renaissance from-crappy-car-marketed-as-German, to good-car-living-up-to-its-name.

-VW wants to own the world and they know quality is the key; even more than value. I don't think a company would purposely misstep after making an assertion so grand that they'd be laughed out of existence if they failed by something so rudimentary. Do you think any of those managers could find work again if they couldn't figure that one out? :p

That summs up some of the thoughts I ran through when I was considering buying a VW. Hope it helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts