VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
So how long until Pontiacs, Oldsmobiles, Saturns are allowed at the show?

...because I've got a cherry Montana SV6 I'd like to display. :p

·
Registered
18,737 Posts
Oldsmobiles are already allowed in. I believe the division has to be gone for 7 years and the car has to be 25 years old, so it may be awhile for the Saturns.

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
Between this thread and the previous one from last year; I don't understand why everyone is so hung up on what qualifies for entry although some of you are just trying to be comedians. The show is very well organized and run and they have their rules on what qualifies. I tend to agree with them, so you can take your Saab 9-3, your Montana Minivans, your Hummers and your Saturns to whatever other show you like. :)

The show organizers have ruled that the make has to to be 7 years out of production. I believe this was the first year that Plymouth and Oldsmobile were included. If you were looking, you would have seen the pictures of the 1957 Oldsmobile and the 1931 Plymouth that I posted. In addition, Plymouth and Oldsmobile entrants need to be 1960 model year or older. I assume Mercury and Pontiac will be the same, but who knows.

They had originally told me my Capri was not eligible, and I had to talk with the head of the show and make my case, which I was successful at. I think Barry had to do the same with his Continental Mk. II. The whole purpose of the show is to have a wide variety of seldom seem vehicles, and they do that very well. The show requires that you pre enter well ahead of time, so they screen all the entires and ultimately have the final say on what they approve. No one can just show up the morning of the show and expect to enter their vehicle, no matter what it is.

·
Get Off My Lawn!!!
29,544 Posts
1957 Oldsmobile

]
Of many excellent model years for Oldsmobile, I'm becoming more and more in favor of 1957 as Old's best, at least in terms of great styling. The '57s went against the current trends toward trowelled-on chrome and huge fins for the most part, and somehow they just look so clean and "substantial". The fact that so many have survived is perhaps testament to this last observation. :)

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
Not done posting more pictures!

1960 Rambler

1956 Nash

1947 DeSoto Suburban (awesome!)

·
Get Off My Lawn!!!
29,544 Posts
Randy, did you look closely at that scale model DeSoto on the Suburban's roof? That looks absolutely fascinating.

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I didn't see it until you just pointed it out. Something about the forest and the trees I guess.

Photobucket is doing some odd things today. Random pictures just aren't showing up for some reason.

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
1948 Nash ( I know you love Nash's Larry)

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Just wanted to say THANK YOU to the OP for adding make and model to the photos of the cars. Being of a younger generation, I am still learning my classics (especially rare ones like these) and, well, it helps to know what I'm looking at. :beer:

·
Get Off My Lawn!!!
29,544 Posts

·
Registered
7,204 Posts
great thread... I couldn't figure out the Peugeot but then I realized it was orphaned in the US... people with Alfas who participated in the past must be bummed, heh...

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
How about that 1954 Nash I posted earlier?; just beautiful, isn't it?

1940 LaSalle (One of Harley Earl's finest)

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 · (Edited)
Of many excellent model years for Oldsmobile, I'm becoming more and more in favor of 1957 as Old's best, at least in terms of great styling. The '57s went against the current trends toward trowelled-on chrome and huge fins for the most part, and somehow they just look so clean and "substantial". The fact that so many have survived is perhaps testament to this last observation. :)
I completely agree about the 1957 Oldsmobile, but unfortunately, it was then followed by the 1958 model, which took the phrase trowelled on chrome to a whole new level. A very unglorious end to the reign of GM styling head Harley Earl.:(

1958 Oldsmobile

·
Get Off My Lawn!!!
29,544 Posts
How about that 1954 Nash I posted earlier?; just beautiful, isn't it?

It could be argued that Nash automobiles of the postwar period were that time's equivalent to say, today's "best buy" family cars such as the Camry and Accord. Built with care from excellent materials, packed with value-features (Nash cars pioneered such important things as modern HVAC systems, reclining seats, etc), and wrapped in conservative-yet-appealing styling, they really stand-out among other orphan cars, IMO. I picture the Nash customer of those times as a very educated and discerning person who knew how to get the most for his/her money, and also knew enough to look beyond the obvious choices. :)

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 · (Edited)
I wonder how many Italian car enthusiasts are aware of the connection of Nash styling with Pininfarina? This was the model that the Pininfarina design house created isn't it?

If one compares the Nash styling as seen above with the offerings of Chevrolet, Ford, or Plymouth, there really is a big contrast.

·
Get Off My Lawn!!!
29,544 Posts
The ones who read are. :)

·
Registered
35,011 Posts
Thank you for sharing!

Show me some more :) At first I was surprised to see an Olds but I guess it makes sense.

I want to see Borgwards, more Kaisers and Nashes... :cool:

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Thank you for sharing!

Show me some more :) At first I was surprised to see an Olds but I guess it makes sense.

I want to see Borgwards, more Kaisers and Nashes... :cool:
No Borgwards, but here a a few you might enjoy

1948 Citroen

1951 Frazer

1959 Anglia

1957 Nash

·
Registered
35,011 Posts
Awesome! Thanks. The Traction Avant is one of my all-time favorites.

How did that Lada Niva sneak in? :laugh:

I love the '57 Nash. :heart:

21 - 40 of 68 Posts