VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoping someone has had this issue before.

About 5 weeks ago I had my valve cover gaskets and the PCV membrane replaced on our 2011 Touareg vr6 with 125,000 miles on it. The vehicle had a slow drip that was running down and dripping off of the drivers side forward frame rail. The consumption at the time was 1qt every 1100 miles. After having the dealership fix this issue I figured all was well since I no longer saw any oil dripping off of the frame rail.

Fast forward to today and after having traveled 700 miles since the fix the electronic dipstick was showing the oil down to the last tick. I had the dealership go over the repair they made to the vehicle today and this is what they found.

The mechanic said that the PCV box (for lack of a better word) on the opposite side of the membrane had filled with oil in the hose that comes off of the drivers side. He stated that he had never seen this before and that he had to get vw technical support involved. Long and the short of it is now the vehicle has been placed on phase I of the vw oil analysis process and has to be driven for 1000 miles or until the low oil light comes on and then returned to the dealership for further evaluation. They did a complete oil change and overfilled the oil per vw.

Any thoughts out there?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No the warranty has expired. I cannot see any smoke at all on either the road or on start up. I had the compression checked and all of the cylinders were within a psi of each other and at full compression. It does seem to go through oil at a higher rate during shorter drives.

·
Registered
16,890 Posts
I wonder if the membrane repair was done improperly. Before you replace the engine it might be worth throwing a valve cover at it. OEM ones aren’t cheap but do you really want to pay someone to do it with a cheap one and still have consumption issues. Flip side is doing it with an expensive VC might yield the same results.

Is there excessive pressure out of the dip stick tube or oil cap while running? If you aren’t certain find another 3.6 Passat or Touareg to compare with.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Yeah a new intake is probably my last dollars I will throw at it before I just get rid of it. I pulled the dipstick and it had just a bit of suction. Not really sure if it should have enough to suck a dollar bill out of my hand or if it’s right where it should be. I did have the mechanic recheck the membrane and it was fine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Guys,
Did you find what was wrong with your car?

I have a 2013 Touareg 3.6L, it is consuming oil like petrol! I refill approx 1.5L of oil every 1000 KMs!!!

I have had the valve cover gasket, injector gasket & gearbox oil sump gasket replaced. When these were replaced, the mechanic said that there was oil dripping and it is removed.
Even after service, the consumption of the oil remained roughly the same.
I went back to the mechanic, who said he could not find any external leakages.

I regularly check oil level & top-up, but this is no where near normal. The valve cover gasket was replaced roughly 15000 KMs ago. Total milage for my car is 170,000 KMs right now.
Thinking it was blow-by being burnt, I purchased an RKX gasket but did not fix it until now, as I do not hear any hissing sound in the engine. Idle is very smooth & no smoke from the exhaust. Although, there is massive amounts of dry soot in the exhaust.

I don't know what to do, I've already spent quite a lot of money on the car, but issue isn't resolved.

Any leads here?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’d suggest the valve cover be replaced, the pcv is built into the VC. If this fails it can cause oil Va ports to build up in the engine and the pressure will cause leaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Hello @G60ING

Thanks a lot for your quick response.
I did have same idea, that's why I bought a aftermarket kit from RKX to replace the diaphragms in the PCV box.

But I did not go through yet because the valve cover was replaced around 15,000 KMs ago.
The idle of the car is also really smooth (does not seem anything wrong).

Is did anyone face same issue where it failed again so quickly?

Thank you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts