VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

41 - 60 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Did a follow up session (which is part of installation of the ceramic coating) with the detailer that applied the Opti-coat Pro today, he also applied Optic-coat Pro the new wheels and showed my how to properly wash and dry the car using the Optic-coat products ("No Rinse" and "Opti-Seal"). Man I'm really impressed with this product, you pressure was it first (no soap) you wash it with "No Rinse" using foam sponge no downward pressure on the sponge, just push it across the surface, spray one squirt of Opti-Seal on the panel your washing, dry it a microfiber towel and your done. Whole process take 15 minute and the car looks like you just finished waxing it. Again well worth the money if anyone think of doing this, you'll have no regrets.

When I purchased the Audi had to mount a front plate but the car didn't have the OEM front plate mount, secondly I didn't really like the look of it either. The tow hook setup would have been ugly as well because of the front tow hook location, would have been a huge space behind the plate.

Tow hook on my son's Golf, would have even more pronounced on the Audi:

Front plate:

Found this bracket called "Sly Bracket" https://www.slybrackets.com/store/, it ships out of Honolulu, Hawaii. Very nice quality product, all stainless steel hardware, powder coat frame, blue locktite applied to critical fasteners and huge mount of flexibility, additional mounting spacers. Work perfectly for the location I was looking at for the plate.

Multiple mount adjustments and spacers:

·
Registered
872 Posts
:cool: :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
:cool: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Thanks bud!
Finally a warmer and sunny day! Got the car washed inside and out plus the engine bay. Installed an emblem I'd picked up a few months ago, a logo that David from StanceDubs (local VW/Audi shop) gave me :D.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Wow! That looks very cool as well, man! :cool::cool:

·
Registered
242 Posts
Thanks bud!
Finally a warmer and sunny day! Got the car washed inside and out plus the engine bay. Installed an emblem I'd picked up a few months ago, a logo that David from StanceDubs (local VW/Audi shop) gave me :D.

Is your car painted in Panther black or Phantom black? I can't tell the difference between the two. Whatever your paint is, its "metallic" effect really shows up nice in the sun.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Is your car painted in Panther black or Phantom black? I can't tell the difference between the two. Whatever your paint is, its "metallic" effect really shows up nice in the sun.
Thank you, it's Black Panther don't know if you've seen one up close, depending on the view angle it's a purplish hew very cool :cool:

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I've recently purchased from an Audi forum a new but never installed 034 Motorsport sway bar and adjustable end links for less then I'd of paid for sway bar along (got to love that). Going to install it in the next few days. Cars also going into UM dealer tomorrow.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks bud! Funny thing is I read through your thread yesterday seing the same thing LOL! I really like what your brake ducts, was wondering if you'd be willing to share your CAD file, I have a buddy that has a high speed printer for prototyping and I'd like him to make a set for me. We aren't the type of guys to steal a design from someone else work, he's in the car manufacturing of Audi/VW parts for a long time and he's had his design parts duplicated from other USA companies.

Here's a prototype part he's fabricated for the VW Corrado G60 supercharger rear bracket support. He is waiting for a few more guy that are interested in getting this bracket fab up, I'm waiting one myself for my G60 build.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BbAaoUmDhSQ/?taken-by=iabedindustries

I see your on "Markus" thread as well he's tracking his TTRS on the "Ring" in Germany got some cool video and great source for info, can't wait to see your videos as well.:thumbup: As far as tracking mine won't for another year before I gather parts, got my better half that keep an eye on car parts I purchase :facepalm: LOL. With know three project on the go I maybe selling one off.
Send me an e-mail on eric(at)erian(dot)se and I will find the CAD file for you! I delivered my car in to get öhlins shocks, and they broke one of my ducts during their testing, must have been some rock or something on the road. I guess I just have to print a new one!

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Send me an e-mail on eric(at)erian(dot)se and I will find the CAD file for you! I delivered my car in to get öhlins shocks, and they broke one of my ducts during their testing, must have been some rock or something on the road. I guess I just have to print a new one!
Thanks again for the CAD file, I have Issam printing them out for me, greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Eurokracy 2018

Was at Eurokracy 2018 last weekend and took the car down the 1/4 mile for the first time. Was very pleasure with the UM tune feature and the results. Next major mods ($$$) 034 intake and a downpipe to take the tune to stage 2.

Was in good company as well mini-me (TTRS) with big brother (R8 - V10) ;) Hooked up with the Quebec Audi Group awesome cars and people!

·
Registered
872 Posts
What does the flash do, how does the Haldex work afterwards?

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
What does the flash do, how does the Haldex work afterwards?
Performance Mode: When requesting the most performance from your car, the software passes more torque to the rear, while still retaining drive-ability and keeping within hardware limits. Performance requested is based on pedal position. The harder you press the pedal, the more torque the software will transfer to the rear.

ECO Mode: While cruising the software decouples any drive to the rear, this creates better fuel economy while cruising. Also decreases wear on an expensive non serviceable part. ECO mode is automatically engaged when your car moving along the road at steady speed, at the same for throttle position. For Example, if you are driving down the road at a steady 70 mph this will engage ECO mode. At any point, if wheel spin is detected, 4wd will be engaged.

Variable Brake Distribution: While braking the software applies appropriate torque to the rear. This makes the car more stable in a hard braking situation, unlike stock which disengages the 4-motion clutch this software keep the torque to the rear wheel while braking, offering a far more aggressive deceleration capability. A MAJOR part of this control software modification is vehicle speed, which prevents any binding of the drive train whilst steering at ANY low speeds (ie trying to park the car).

Unlike HPA Performance Controller which you physically replace the Haldex Module, this utilizes the stock module and the tune is flashed directly to the Haldex module and not the ECU. Should the Haldex require replacement you bring it to a UM dealer and they'll re-flash the the new one.

Stock Haldex is front wheel bias with this software the max. torque transfer is 50/50.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #57 (Edited)
Change out the Glow Shift Boost Gauge, dark face made it hard to see during the day (these are cheap gauges and you get what you pay for). Replaced with a Podi Boost Gauge boost line goes to a sensor which drive the stepper motor in the gauge, gauge can be programmed to warning an over-boost condition. Nice quality gauge.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Great progress on your RS! :thumbup:

How do you like the UM Haldex Flash?
It's great that there´s finally an alternative to HPA.
Since no hardware is changed, it would be really interesting how it performs compared to the HPA controller...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Thank you! Haven't had it out on a road course only the 1/4 mile track and no wheel spin at launch (Haldex reacts very quickly to wheel spin). The torque in this car truly put a smile on my face every time I launch it :D. Your right it is an good alternative to the HPA it's cheaper and no hardware change, the reason why I've gone this route. I liked the idea that modes are done automatically and the torque to the rear wheel is also used during hard braking.
You’re right, torque and traction are really sensational. :D
But Gen4 and above shouldn't have the delay of Gen1 anyway...
I have the HPA controller installed (there was no alternative at the time), and wasn't very happy with it at first, as it still felt front wheel biased.
But it turned out it was only because of the wrong the rolling radius of my tires. After correcting this, the car felt really great.
All in all I´m very happy with it, but If I had to decide again, I probably would also try the UM flash. I´m a bit sceptical if the HPA hardware is really needed…

41 - 60 of 97 Posts