VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have this weird noise that drives me crazy! :banghead:
I recently got my 2012 GLI DSG, and it only has about 1500 miles.
So, here is the problem.
When I'm coming to a near stop, and try to accelerate, it makes this weird rattling noise.
The sound can be easily recreated by lightly accelerating after going over a speed bump.
It only happens when I accelerate lightly.
This does not always happen though. Only when coming to a NEAR stop, and then lightly accelerating. It doesn't happen when I completely stop.
Is anyone having this issue?
Am I doing something wrong with the gas pedal?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Let me save you some time. Take it to the dealer and ask them to perform TSB #2024061, which will instal a clip to address the waste gate rattle.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the reply.
I wasn't sure if it was the waste gate rattle problem (I also have that :banghead: ),
because it wasn't happening between 2500-3k RPM as usual.

Last time I went to the dealer, they couldn't find the problem.
They told me it was "normal."
I guess they couldn't hear the sound very well, because it started to rain hard that day after I left the dealer.

Next time, I'll probably have to let one of the mechanics sit in my car and let him/her hear it for good.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I think I know exactly what you mean, and was wondering the same. Sometimes it happens from a standstill, but almost always happens if I accelerate lightly after moving slowly. Never under hard accel--very different from the wastegate rattle, which I also have. It's a very distinct, cheap-sounding rattle from under the hood. I hate it. 2012 GLI also.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I think I know exactly what you mean, and was wondering the same. Sometimes it happens from a standstill, but almost always happens if I accelerate lightly after moving slowly. Never under hard accel--very different from the wastegate rattle, which I also have. It's a very distinct, cheap-sounding rattle from under the hood. I hate it. 2012 GLI also.
I had what i thought was a rattle but it turned out to be my keys jingling together in my cup holder... took me two days to realize that it wasnt coming from under the dash. Just a thought.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have the same irritating rattle on my 2012 GLI. I thought it was maybe the wastegate rattle too but when I looked from under the car and removed the white heat shield I saw that the rod is already secure. They must be coming from the factory like that now, its not the "clip" that the dealer will put on but I assure you it is well secured. As I started touching things to see what IS rattling, I noticed another sort of heat shield that is behind the wastegate rod. It has some play to it and I believe it is vibrating against some sort of sound proofing behind it. Its thin and so I bent it a little away from the sound proofing stuff and now the sound is definitely not as loud. I am going to try to either bend it a little more (half an inch or so) and see if that fixes it. If not then I may try to get the dealer to "deal" with it or maybe stuff some heat resistant foam of some sort. Does any of this make sense to you guys? I promise its not the wastegate rattle or chain casing on the downpipe. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have the same irritating rattle on my 2012 GLI. I thought it was maybe the wastegate rattle too but when I looked from under the car and removed the white heat shield I saw that the rod is already secure. They must be coming from the factory like that now, its not the "clip" that the dealer will put on but I assure you it is well secured. As I started touching things to see what IS rattling, I noticed another sort of heat shield that is behind the wastegate rod. It has some play to it and I believe it is vibrating against some sort of sound proofing behind it. Its thin and so I bent it a little away from the sound proofing stuff and now the sound is definitely not as loud. I am going to try to either bend it a little more (half an inch or so) and see if that fixes it. If not then I may try to get the dealer to "deal" with it or maybe stuff some heat resistant foam of some sort. Does any of this make sense to you guys? I promise its not the wastegate rattle or chain casing on the downpipe. What do you guys think?

Do you still have the wastegate rattle even though that rod is secure? Because it seems that the noise that I described in the original post is different from the wastegate rattle.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I went to the dealer today, but i couldn't recreate the sound when the mechanic was sitting next to me.... :mad:
anyone else having this issue?

·
Registered
21 Posts
ive had my gli for about 2 1/2 months now and over the past half month i just started noticing this same noise. I have an appointment tomorrow at the dealer for the courtesy check, and one of the vw emblems fell of my front left rim so it just a black hole at the center. They said the rim was an easy fix, but hopefully they can shed some light on the noise as well

·
Registered
13 Posts
Any update klye

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Okay, so here is the update.
I went to the dealer where I bought my car from.
They were pretty helpful, but not the most educated mechanics in the world.
They thought it was mechatronic unit giving bad signals.
I don't know too much about cars, so that's pretty much what they told me.
But it did not fix the problem.
So they had to get a factory engineer to come down to the dealer.

And guess what?
It's normal. :rolleyes:
The mechanics thoroughly explained what was happening.
It's the sound of twin clutch spinning(?) and trying grab onto a gear.
It only happens when you are slowing down to almost a stop and accelerating lightly, right?
The mechanic told me that when you accelerate lightly from a near stop, the DSG gets confused and the twin clutch hesitates to grab onto a gear. (probably between first and second.)

But, I wanted to make sure this was really "normal."
So, I asked them to let me test drive a brand new GLI in their inventory.
They took me for a drive, and it makes exactly the same noise!

People on this forum tend to drive manual, so they won't have this problem.
An easy fix is to use the manual mode.
It happens mostly when I'm driving slowly through a parking lot with speed bumps.
When you manually set the gear to first and accelerate lightly, the noise can never be heard.

Well, here is my update.
Hopefully this will be helpful to all of you. :beer:

·
Registered
183 Posts
Okay, so here is the update.
I went to the dealer where I bought my car from.
They were pretty helpful, but not the most educated mechanics in the world.
They thought it was mechatronic unit giving bad signals.
I don't know too much about cars, so that's pretty much what they told me.
But it did not fix the problem.
So they had to get a factory engineer to come down to the dealer.

And guess what?
It's normal. :rolleyes:
The mechanics thoroughly explained what was happening.
It's the sound of twin clutch spinning(?) and trying grab onto a gear.
It only happens when you are slowing down to almost a stop and accelerating lightly, right?
The mechanic told me that when you accelerate lightly from a near stop, the DSG gets confused and the twin clutch hesitates to grab onto a gear. (probably between first and second.)

But, I wanted to make sure this was really "normal."
So, I asked them to let me test drive a brand new GLI in their inventory.
They took me for a drive, and it makes exactly the same noise!

People on this forum tend to drive manual, so they won't have this problem.
An easy fix is to use the manual mode.
It happens mostly when I'm driving slowly through a parking lot with speed bumps.
When you manually set the gear to first and accelerate lightly, the noise can never be heard.

Well, here is my update.
Hopefully this will be helpful to all of you. :beer:
I have the manual transmission in my GLI and I get a rattle pretty much exactly like you described. So obviously it is something else for me if your is DSG specific. Get it only at low rpm's, generally notice it mostly in stop and go traffic where my rpm's drop to 900-1300, once accelerated past about 1300 rpms the rattle goes away. Seems to be coming from the right side. I have my car going in to the dealer in 3 weeks to check on a couple other small things, hopefully they can isolate it, because the rattle sounds like crap.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I have this as well from the sound of what you're describing. I don't really notice it when driving, even when lightly accelerating from being stopped. But every time I pull into my driveway and accelerate up the slight hill it has, I can hear it. It's a cheap sounding rattle, like a tin rattling sound. I'm going in next week for my belated 90-day check up so I'm going to hope it gets addressed then among some other small things.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have this as well from the sound of what you're describing. I don't really notice it when driving, even when lightly accelerating from being stopped. But every time I pull into my driveway and accelerate up the slight hill it has, I can hear it. It's a cheap sounding rattle, like a tin rattling sound. I'm going in next week for my belated 90-day check up so I'm going to hope it gets addressed then among some other small things.
Did you try the manual mode when going up the slight hill?

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have the manual transmission in my GLI and I get a rattle pretty much exactly like you described. So obviously it is something else for me if your is DSG specific. Get it only at low rpm's, generally notice it mostly in stop and go traffic where my rpm's drop to 900-1300, once accelerated past about 1300 rpms the rattle goes away. Seems to be coming from the right side. I have my car going in to the dealer in 3 weeks to check on a couple other small things, hopefully they can isolate it, because the rattle sounds like crap.
^^THIS sounds exactly like what I have with my manual. Just sounds so cheap!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts