VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 545 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I just picked up a 2012 passat and set up my iphone to play music over bluetooth.
However, it seems like it is only set up to receive a mono connection instead of a stereo conneciton.

Anybody else experiencing this issue or know of a way to update the bluetooth profile to stream music in stereo?

Thanks,

·
Registered
829 Posts
Hi,

I just picked up a 2012 passat and set up my iphone to play music over bluetooth.
However, it seems like it is only set up to receive a mono connection instead of a stereo conneciton.

Anybody else experiencing this issue or know of a way to update the bluetooth profile to stream music in stereo?

Thanks,

iPhone 4 and 4S here... Stream Bluetooth stereo with no problem at all. Check your iPhone settings or give it a restart. Or disconnect and reconnect your Bluetooth on your radio.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Bluetooth Streaming in mono - Iphone 4 and VW Passat

Same Problem with my 2012 passat. Called VW customer service to find out that VW is aware of the issue. They dont have a fix for it as of now and are working to get this fixed. Lets just hope that it gets resolved soon. it is just annoying.

PS: The dealership had no clue about this issue. They checked the vehicle to inform me that the bluetooth module was just fine and performs as designed. arghhh

·
Registered
63 Posts
iPhone 4 and 4S here... Stream Bluetooth stereo with no problem at all. Check your iPhone settings or give it a restart. Or disconnect and reconnect your Bluetooth on your radio.
You may want to check a audio file with multi channel output. its quite obvious that the Right channel is what u will hear in all the speakers. Dealership folks tried it with a Jetta to replicate the issue.

·
Registered
71 Posts
This is a very well known issue pertaining to the 9W7 and RCD-510/RNS-510 stereos in many different VDubs... it's not Passat specific.

·
Registered
21 Posts
This is a very well known issue pertaining to the 9W7 and RCD-510/RNS-510 stereos in many different VDubs... it's not Passat specific.
I have this problem as well. What is the solution? My car is under warranty (2012) - does it affect only certain vehicles or all new VWs? Can my dealer fix it?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Audiophile idiot question: does this affect the MDI connection as well, or is this just for music streamed via Bluetooth? I have a feeling this question makes the forum's inquisitive idiot of the day.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I recall someone on these fourths mentioning that VW is aware of the issue and "working on a fix" but I feel as though it's not a very high priority to them. Adjusting the firmware to fix the issue is really not that difficult so if they were worried about it I'd assume we'd of heard something a bit more concrete by now.. Really frustrates me to no end.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Audiophile idiot question: does this affect the MDI connection as well, or is this just for music streamed via Bluetooth? I have a feeling this question makes the forum's inquisitive idiot of the day.
it's a perfectly valid question. for me, the MDI connection works perfectly and has better audio quality anyway. it's just less convenient to control.

for now my workaround is to use bluetooth for phone ONLY and then switch to MDI input for music.

·
Vendor
ID.4, 997.1
15,430 Posts
I just did a test with my iPhone 4S (iOS 5.1) and stock RCD-510 (1K0-035-180-AD with Mute button and firmware 0018 ). I played AC/DC's "It's a Long Way to the Top (If You Wanna Rock 'n' Roll)" first from an SD card and next from the phone over BT streaming. In both cases, the distinctive opening guitar riff comes through only the left side speaker first before it's joined by other instrumentation. So, mine definitely plays stereo, not mono. This demonstrates the audio separation for your rockin' pleasure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9iOk8PqkKs

·
Registered
251 Posts
I just did a test with my iPhone 4S (iOS 5.1) and stock RCD-510 (1K0-035-180-AD with Mute button and firmware 0018 ). I played AC/DC's "It's a Long Way to the Top (If You Wanna Rock 'n' Roll)" first from an SD card and next from the phone over BT streaming. In both cases, the distinctive opening guitar riff comes through only the left side speaker first before it's joined by other instrumentation. So, mine definitely plays stereo, not mono. This demonstrates the audio separation for your rockin' pleasure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9iOk8PqkKs
I wonder if it's an iPhone 4 vs. 4s issue.....I have the RCD-510 and iOS 5.1 in my iPhone 4, and my imaging is defintely different for the same song from BT to SD card....

·
Registered
251 Posts
I wonder if it's an iPhone 4 vs. 4s issue.....I have the RCD-510 and iOS 5.1 in my iPhone 4, and my imaging is defintely different for the same song from BT to SD card....
Here's a comparison of my RCD-510 with SD Card and Bluetooth from an iPhone 4 running iOS 5.1

·
Registered
284 Posts
Definitely not just an iPhone 4 issue. I have a 4s with iOS 5.1 and don't have the left channel. I thought the sound from Bluetooth streaming sounded off, but confirmed it using the L/R slider in Accessibility. Using Mono right now, which sounds better, but not perfect.

I'm planning on calling VW Customer Care and Apple...the more people that log the issue the better, because obviously it doesn't affect everybody...

·
Registered
284 Posts
How do you find out what firmware you're running? Is it through VCDS?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yep, last 4 digits of the Component Field when you go into 56-Radio. There may be some way to see it in the hidden menu too?
would you please advice on how to see it from the hidden menu. Also, if i find the firmware to be outdated. why would the dealership not know about this when i brought the vehicle in last week? I was told that the car had the latest firmware version installed.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Everybody should post their firmware # and correspondingly whether they have the mono/stereo problem or not. I will do this over the weekend.

·
Vendor
ID.4, 997.1
15,430 Posts
would you please advice on how to see it from the hidden menu. Also, if i find the firmware to be outdated. why would the dealership not know about this when i brought the vehicle in last week? I was told that the car had the latest firmware version installed.
I think like this:

My Passat was delivered in October and hasn't been back to a dealer so it still has the RCD-510 software that was installed at the factory, AFAIK.

1 - 20 of 545 Posts