VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ordered my 2012 Passat SEL TDI on the 26th August. Reflex Silver, Titan Black w/ a lip spoiler. Got the call it came in and drove to the dealer today to pick it up, 1 1/2 drive. Wow, looks great. Take the test drive , do paperwork. Put the car seats in, strap in the kids. I go around to get in and the drivers door will not open. Unload the kids/car seats and head home. Dealer gave me a SE loaner, will start work on it Monday.

Hope this is not an omen...:(

·
Vendor
mk8 GTI 6MT, 997.1 6MT
15,502 Posts
That sucks. :( Were you able to open the driver's door from the inside (reaching over from the passenger seat)? Did you or the dealer pop off the plastic cover over the keyhole next to the outside handle to see if the key could open it manually?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The inside handle would work every time, but the outside would only work 1 out of 20. They pulled the cover to use the key and that did not help. Also tried some lube, but I think that was a waste of time. Seemed to be linkage related if I had to guess.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Plastic cover over key hole?? Did the dealer forget to tell me something?:what:
If you noticed there are no visible door locks. It's because VW has been hiding them on behind plastic covers. Since the fob unlocks them, there only there for situations where the key fob is dead and you need to unlock the doors. I had to use it on my Tig, pretty neat. You can arm and disarm the alarm with too.

·
Registered
114 Posts
so my car which ironically is the same color and package as your has done the same thing many times. It happened more with the keyless than with pushing the button on the remote. My dealer can't get it to happen when the car is there and won't fix anything without a fault code because they need that in case VW audits them. The good news is whatever was hanging up seems to have worked itself in and it works fine now but there was nothing worse than trying to avoid looking foolish by putting my laptop bag in the back so I could reach up to unlock the driver door from inside. I did nothing and it seems to have resolved itself. Not confidence building for sure. Please share what your dealer determines the cause to be.

The frightening thing is you reminded me I've been waiting over a month for a new rear window.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.