VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I have been looking to pick up a 2012 TDI LUX Touareg. One thing I can't seem to find a straight answer on is whether or not the vehicle requires a different tow package option in order to achieve the 7700lb tow rating.

On Edmunds it says that if properly equipped it can handle that. But I haven't found any listing that specifically says tow package or weight distributing hitch. All the ones I have looked at have the hitch on them but I just want to make sure because we are looking to pull a travel trailer and this feature of the TDI makes it a very attractive option for us.

If anyone has any input regarding this I would be greatly appreciative.

·
Registered
362 Posts
My wife and I have been looking to pick up a 2012 TDI LUX Touareg. One thing I can't seem to find a straight answer on is whether or not the vehicle requires a different tow package option in order to achieve the 7700lb tow rating.

On Edmunds it says that if properly equipped it can handle that. But I haven't found any listing that specifically says tow package or weight distributing hitch. All the ones I have looked at have the hitch on them but I just want to make sure because we are looking to pull a travel trailer and this feature of the TDI makes it a very attractive option for us.

If anyone has any input regarding this I would be greatly appreciative.
The OEM trailer package is not standard, but if present can always tow the 7700lbs. After market is less.
The tongue weight can either be 660 or 770 depending on the sticker on the hitch, my understanding is there is no difference in the hitch hardware.

Presence of the OEM hitch is further confused because it doesn't show accurately or consistently on window stickers.

Further, some may have the hitch but not the electronics. The electronics are typically a very simple and inexpensive fix.

·
Registered
362 Posts
No problem.

When I shopped all the ones I looked in this area at had hitches.
Some were on the sticker, some not. Same with the hitch electronics.

I originally thought they all had hitches and the electronics were the option.
Not accurate.

The concise build sheet in the trunk doesn't have anything on it either.

It should be pretty easy to look at it and confirm it's the OEM style vs the Curt (most common aftermarket).

·
Registered
63 Posts
I just posted a thread on this subject. My wife just purchased a 2012 VR6 LUX and it has nothing. Dealer wants $1600.00 for hitch and electronics:mad:
All other vehicles had at least the hitch so we thought they all had them. My wife came home and I was standing at the back and noticed no hitch. Misleading to say the least.
Anyone install their with electronics?

·
Registered
361 Posts
There were two tow options. One was for light weight trailors ( <1000 lbs.?). The other was for towing up to 7700 lbs . The electical hookup was an additional option. From the factory, it was not so expensive but to add after delivery, it was over $1,200 for the whole job. The dealer told me there was some welding involved, a new bumber cover and the electriacl harness installation. I declined.

·
Registered
60 Posts
There were two tow options. One was for light weight trailors ( <1000 lbs.?). The other was for towing up to 7700 lbs . The electical hookup was an additional option. From the factory, it was not so expensive but to add after delivery, it was over $1,200 for the whole job. The dealer told me there was some welding involved, a new bumber cover and the electriacl harness installation. I declined.
I'm sorry, but I don't think ANY of the information provided to you is accurate.

1) There's only one tow package - either you have a receiver hitch or you don't.
2) If the OEM installed the hitch, the 7-pin electrical package will be there (in some earlier years you had to add the plug.)
3) You can install the hitch and wiring module AFTER you purchase the Treg - I did this myself with my 2013 TDI Exec.
4) A new bumper cover is NOT needed - nor is there any modification to the bumper cover itself.
5) There is NO welding required - everything bolts right in. Even the electronics module slides into an existing bracket.
6) Regardless how you get the receiver and wiring module (OEM, or you've added it), you'll need to purchase an aftermarket braking module if you intend to use a trailer with electric brakes.

If you have any questions about the install, ping me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts