VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This car has been traded in. NO LONGER AVAILABLE

Price radically dropped. Car is being traded this Saturday, I'd rather sell it to someone private who will enjoy it than have it go to a stupid auction...

I will edit this post after the car sells; if you still see it up, the car is still available. If you are interested, please e-mail me with a subject line that includes the word SEPANG -- my forum username @big-geek.net

I have this listed on Autotrader, so please check out that listing first and then come back here, I'll clarify some stuff that I didn't have enough space for in the Autotrader little text box.

Some pics here (click me).

Image uploading. Refresh page to view

~39k miles -- currently around 38850, but it's my daily driver so it will be increasing. Assume it will be 39-ish by the time you own it.

I am the second owner. It was originally an Audi CPO car, sold by Audi Mentor (NE of Cleveland OH). I bought it with not quite 14k on it back in May/June 2015, so I've put about 25k on it over 2.5 years. It currently has a bank loan on it, so I do not have title in hand, it will need to be paid off before I can send you the title. I am not "upside-down" on it though. The previous owner (actually, leaseholder) was a syndicated newspaper cartoonist (sorry, not Bill Watterson - if it was his I'd be asking a lot more, because he is such a recluse).

All scheduled 10k Audi services during my ownership have been completed on time or early. I have the full history from the previous owner. It has only ever been serviced at the original selling Audi dealership (Audi Mentor). I've done at least one or two "mid-interval" oil changes (around 5k mark once or twice, I can't remember, but I have all paperwork). It's currently gone about 6k since the last service and just needed a quart of oil, so it is eating a little but that's not uncommon on TFSI cars. Easier to just change it every 5k and not have to worry about topping it off.

It was originally put in service by the first owner in Jan of 2012; it has Audi CPO remaining until Jan 2018. There's a $150 fee to transfer it to the next owner, I'll eat that.

It has never had any mods done to the engine, ECU, or drivetrain. I had a Corsa catback on the car, but that has been removed and it is back on the Audi "Sport" catback now. I still have the original Audi "standard" / "not-sport" catback as well, but IMO that is way too quiet for an RS car (which is why I found the OEM Sport exhaust to begin with). It's still on decat midpipes (these do not require a tune and don't throw a check engine light), but I'm planning on trying to get the stock pipes back in there in the next few weeks. (I have to get the studs drilled out of the stock pipes so I can use bolts instead; I had to cut several factory studs due to seized nuts).

I would put the paint at about 8/10 - there are a few small chips that have been filled (under the PPF that I had installed on the nose), a tiny door ding on the passenger side, and it has some spiderwebbing / light swirl, but it should all buff out with a good detail. I just don't have the time to keep up with it the way I'd like. Plus, some of the chips are from previous owner so I never felt super-compulsive with this car since it was never perfect in my ownership.

Interior is probably 8 or 9 out of 10 - no fading, no cracking. Steering wheel and shifter and handbrake are all great. Some bolster wear on the driver side but nothing terrible. A few tiny dings on the aluminum portion of the driver & passenger interior door handles/grab bars (from rings). Passenger seat has one very small spot (1/8" or so) where leather is peeled away from its backing, guessing it was from a woman's jewelry or something, was like that when I got the car (hasn't gotten worse, but I don't know how to properly fix it so I left it alone). Interior needs a good vacuum / dusting but it's not filthy, just has some dog hair from my Shiba Inu... I'm trying to find time to get it cleaned up better before sale (both interior and exterior), it's been too hot to want to do anything outside for the past week.

The only other mods on the car at this moment are:
  • Per above, Miltek decat midpipes - I still have the OEM catted pipes and this can be reverted to stock, hoping to have that done in the next week or two.
  • Car is using factory wheel bolts again, stud conversion is removed -- 034 Motorsport stud conversion (also coming off in the next week or two)
  • This has been removed, factory Navigation and AMI are back in place -- Alpine X108U radio with imported dash kit (looks factory), steering control harness (volume/mute and next/prev track still work), SiriusXM, and DVD player. This can all be put back to stock, I have all original parts and no wiring was cut.
  • Radar & LIDAR systems (which required some cuts to the front grilles in order to locate sensors for best performance, so the parts could be removed but you will then have some "extra" holes in grille honeycomb)
  • "Tails" for Schroth Quickfit Pro harnesses, passenger and driver side - if the buyer isn't interested, I'll take a few hours of my life and back pain to remove them, but they are really nice for autocross or track days or other spirited driving...
Stuff I have for the car that I would sell separately if a buyer is interested - never installed unless listed otherwise:
  • 034 Motorsport "Street density" motor & transmission mounts
  • Corsa catback (has been installed, used, and removed again)
  • Corsa downpipe/midpipe section with highflow cat (never installed, new in box)
  • Schroth Quickfit Pro harnesses, driver & passenger - used for less than ~50 hours total, black & silver, HANS-compatible
  • OEM rear fog light (should work on all TTs, I believe)
  • Girodisc 2-piece rear rotors + Girodisc "Street & strip" pads - the car will need rear brakes soon, I bought these but haven't installed yet - these should work on a TTS as well, and maybe even the VR6 TT?

"Bad" stuff (not really, but want to fully disclose because I'm not an arsehole):
  • The previous owner "love tapped" their own garage before returning the car from their lease. The dealer actually disclosed this to me. From what I can tell, it was all on the driver front corner. No structural damage, but at least one radiator support bracket was broken, and one of the headlight tabs was cracked and the light was misaligned. I suspect there was also some paint work on that front corner - color seems to match fine though. The car was supposedly "all fixed" by the P.O. or the dealership before it went up for sale, but they actually missed the headlight tab and radiator support. I didn't notice the headlight until after I signed and drove the car to lunch, complained later the same day to the dealership. They took it back for a week, sent it to a body shop, and the rad support was replaced and headlight tab was plastic welded. Everything seems to line up and look OK now, but I've never had the bumper skin off to verify what was done behind it.
  • During a cold start / after the car has sat for a while, there is audible timing chain rattle from the top of the engine. It sounds kind of like shaking a can of marbles around and is alarming if you're not expecting it. This is pretty common on the 8J TTRS; the chain tensioner uses oil pressure to push against the chain, and it takes a few minutes for the oil to warm and get up to that section of the engine. Supposedly there is an ECU software update that changes the oil strategy somehow to help alleviate this rattle (I didn't know this was something they could do with software, change where oil is squirted), but I haven't had it done. From what I've read, it doesn't hurt anything as long as you aren't beating on the car when it's cold. This shouldn't be a problem to have done under CPO warranty, I just haven't dealt with it because now that I know what it is, it doesn't bother me as long as the chain doesn't care.
  • There is an occasional metallic grinding noise that seems to come from the accessory belt region. It is impossible to reproduce at will. It goes away when the A/C is turned on (climate control alone doesn't do it, the compressor has to actually be engaged to make the noise stop). Everything works correctly, and the noise is difficult to reproduce, so I haven't tried to get the dealer to fix this yet either. I suspect it's probably the compressor bearing or something, but no way to know for sure since it is so hard to repro.
  • The rear bumper has been professionally repaired by a body shop, you won't be able to tell anything happened. Other people suck. Literally the day before I posted this ad (on Tuesday 9/26 evening), an idiot at my office backed into the car in our work parking lot, no note. I just hunted through the lot today trying to find the culprit and wasn't finding anything. :( There are some scuffs on the passenger rear bumper plastic (below the tail light) that I think will buff out, but the plastic is slightly bulged/deformed where it goes up to the wheel arch. (Yes, terrible luck. :facepalm: ) I will be sorting this out, need to figure out if it's just a buff job and a heat gun, or if there is deeper damage that would require an insurance claim and body shop visit. It will be fixed correctly before I sell the car... again, I believe in full honesty here.

I have a 2018 M2 on order that is due to show up in mid-October, so I don't really want to sell before then, but if it's necessary to make the deal I can rent a car for a few weeks I guess. I am open to reasonable offers, but my price is already one of the lowest prices for a clean, relatively unmolested TTRS you'll find in the US, so please don't insult me.

Asking $38,983
Now asking $36,000 but open to offers, car trades this Saturday 10/21

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pics?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Click the autotrader link, they are in there... but I'll add a Google Photos link to the OP as well.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
FV-QR

Bump, major price drop to $36,000.

Car is trading in on Saturday, I'd rather see it sell privately though.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
How's the M2! I'm terribly jealous!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aw man you got me all excited someone was interested in the TT. (I have instant e-mail alerts setup on this thread.) :(

I'm buying the M2 tomorrow, so the TT will be gone then. The M2 was getting a full paint workup, Xpel install, and Gtechniq Crystal Serum coating over the entire car, before I buy it. I already have the price set at MSRP so I'm not haggling anything Saturday other than trying to get them to throw in some mats or accessories, I know I want the car, and they were willing to work with a local pro detailer to get all of the prep/film/coating done ahead of time so it is ready to go and I don't have to immediately give up the M2 for the protection to be done.

The dealer is giving me $32k on trade... :mad: I've tried my damndest to get a higher number and nothing is making them move, and they're telling me they'll send it to auction. So if anyone wants a good deal on a TTRS, try Classic BMW in Willoughby (Cleveland suburb), maybe they'll cut a deal before it auctions.

I'm leaving a goodie package in the spare tire area with the front plate mount and all of my service history, plus a 4 page document listing everything I know about it.

I had a ~6 mile test drive on side roads in the M2 last week, from that alone it was great, but I won't really know what it can do until it is broken in. The diff has special break-in oil so they tell you not to rag on it too hard for the first ~1200 miles (it gets an oil and diff oil change then).

Here are a few pics from when it was at the detailer's... They don't do the color justice. Long Beach Blue is blue in some light, but when you get it out in sun, it can look really greenish / teal. Definitely a big change from Sepang Blue and Deep Blue Pearl (my previous two blue cars).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts