VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so i built my car Crank, rods, pistons, sleeves, head, Precision 66mm Turbo with external waste gate....etc all fueling has been upgraded including fuel pump and injectors. If anyone out there could help me with tuning would be greatly appreciated. build is done and only tuning needs to be done so its killing me cause i cant figure Maestro 7 for the TSI engine

·
Registered
2007 B6 Passat 2.0T, 1994 E36 M3 3.0L, 2004 Silverado Z71 5.3L
1,818 Posts
Okay so i built my car Crank, rods, pistons, sleeves, head, Precision 66mm Turbo with external waste gate....etc all fueling has been upgraded including fuel pump and injectors. If anyone out there could help me with tuning would be greatly appreciated. build is done and only tuning needs to be done so its killing me cause i cant figure Maestro 7 for the TSI engine
Maestro is a useful tool but it isn't all it's cracked up to be, especially if you don't know what you're doing. I could give you a lot of tips but at the end of the day no amount of information relayed over the boards is going to magically get you going from novice to making a good tune overnight or even quickly at that. Not trying to be rude, just realistic. It takes A LOT of practice, a lot of trial and error, and a lot of patience. Again, I'd be happy to give tips but if you don't have someone nearby that you trust to at least monitor or assist you during tuning then I would recommend you just use a good custom tuning company to let them handle it for you, but they will use their own software not Maestro I've had good experiences with United Motorsport, personally, and would give them my vote

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i do agree with you its not straight forward at all which makes it hard. I've gotten it to perform to about 340ish hp but it runs really rich at red line. cant seem to get more out of the car messing with it. every time i go to change it it freaks out

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
i do agree with you its not straight forward at all which makes it hard. I've gotten it to perform to about 340ish hp but it runs really rich at red line. cant seem to get more out of the car messing with it. every time i go to change it it freaks out
Not to mention some of the base maps that are released for Eurodyne are, and there's no other way of saying it, complete dog****. I had a guy very recently send me some logs from a Eurodyne basemap he was using and they were easily the worst logs I've ever seen. Now, granted, the basemaps aren't really meant to be used for good, they are meant as a foundation to get the car going so you can refine the tuning parameters from there. But this basemap was so bad it was unsafe to do even that. He's lucky he didn't damage his motor during logging runs on this basemap.

There are A LOT of people who will disagree with the following but most of them are on the custom tuning bandwagon and/or influenced by the misinformation they find all over forums. As a software engineer I have some unique insight into the shelf vs. custom tuning subject, and here's the reality:

Custom tuning is actually NOT all that much different than shelf tunes. At the end of the day they are all working with the same data, the same parameters, the same variables, the same tables, the same maps, etc. It's all the same process and the same techniques used to accomplish the same thing, the ONLY real tangible difference is that you/custom tuners will adjust that stuff around your build and the shelf tune obviously does not. That is why I say that the ONLY reason to go custom tuned is if you have non-standard parts on your car that a shelf tune does NOT account for or take advantage of properly. Otherwise, custom tuning is a waste of time. It typically takes a lot of time, even for very skilled tuners, to dial a custom tune in to even compete with the equivalent stage of shelf tune, let alone to actually dial it in enough to be better. Many times (especially for stage 1, stage 2, and K04) lots of custom tuners load a canned file anyway and it's no better than a shelf tune. It's basically the same thing. If you don't have any non-standard hardware to account for with custom tuning, than most of the time custom tuning will yield you at best an equivalent product to what you'd get with a big tuning company; at worst you'll get an inconsistent product that gives you problems and requires you to come back and spend more money, and then somewhere in the middle is the more likely scenario, which is that you don't have many/any problems and the tune is fine but it's still not as good or as thoroughly designed as a heavily R&Ded shelf tune that was designed around basically the SAME parameters. I've been around the block with all of this stuff, on both sides, and that's my experience.

That said, I know much of the above doesn't apply to your build, some of it was more just for the benefit of future readers who don't have a significant BT setup. You're going to want custom tuning of some kind so if you start having a lot of trouble getting where you want to be with Eurodyne, even after finding a tuner that is experienced with using it, then I'd recommend giving United Motorsport a go.

If you want to send logs over for me to look at feel free too.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Not to mention some of the base maps that are released for Eurodyne are, and there's no other way of saying it, complete dog****.
Can’t agree with you more. I’ve been using Maestro to tune my 1.8t and the stage 1/2 tunes are abysmal at best.

OP yeah it’s confusing but just keep trying, you’ll get it.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Yep, Eurodyne is a dinosaur. Not only are the basemaps trash but Maestro doesn't give you nearly as much deep access to the ECU as other tuning softwares developed and used by tuners so your control is limited and thus the thoroughness and maximum efficiency of your tune is gimped compared to what you can get if you allow a custom tuning company (e.g. UM) to do the tuning or use a much more elaborate end-user software like WinOLS. The only advantage to Eurodyne (and WinOLS) is that it allows the end-user to have control and to tinker themselves. Most of the time that isn't an advantage though because while there is a lot of satisfaction to be had in doing it yourself the end product from a user who is just dabbling is never going to be as good as a custom tune from a company/tuner that does it professionally. That's fine for some people but if you're a perfectionist like me and you want to know it's as good as it's going to get then Eurodyne is never the answer.

That said, I wish you the best of luck and would be happy to help in any way I can to get you to the place where you have a solid tune. If you're stuck on anything in particular just let us know.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Yep, Eurodyne is a dinosaur. Not only are the basemaps trash but Maestro doesn't give you nearly as much deep access to the ECU as other tuning softwares developed and used by tuners so your control is limited and thus the thoroughness and maximum efficiency of your tune is gimped compared to what you can get if you allow a custom tuning company (e.g. UM) to do the tuning or use a much more elaborate end-user software like WinOLS. The only advantage to Eurodyne (and WinOLS) is that it allows the end-user to have control and to tinker themselves. Most of the time that isn't an advantage though because while there is a lot of satisfaction to be had in doing it yourself the end product from a user who is just dabbling is never going to be as good as a custom tune from a company/tuner that does it professionally. That's fine for some people but if you're a perfectionist like me and you want to know it's as good as it's going to get then Eurodyne is never the answer.

That said, I wish you the best of luck and would be happy to help in any way I can to get you to the place where you have a solid tune. If you're stuck on anything in particular just let us know.
100% Agree. I just got it for my 08.5' Jetta 2.0t TSI. The base map doesnt come with ****. I can't even figure out how to raise the boost levels. I got it dyno tuned by someone local to me. Looks like all he did was raise the Power Enrichment option. I asked him how to raise the boost level, he told me I have to do it under the Maximum VE part. Does anyone else know where? I attached a screen shot of the only options I get.

https://ibb.co/1dP2RfN <-pic

1 - 7 of 7 Posts