VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I've learned a lot reading through these forums ans appreciate all the help so far. I just bought a 2013 Jetta GLI manufactured in 08/2012. The local dealer confirmed that the car came with the updated timing chain tensioner. The car has 162,000kms on it now, and I've found a ton of info on these forums, but I'm not sure what exactly I need to look out for at this mileage. Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I forgot to mention, the car does have the old style grey and black engine cover which made it more confusing when trying to find information.

·
Registered
62 Posts
With that cover you have the ea888 gen2 engine. Later 2013 GLIs had the Gen3. So if you get a tune make sure it's for the gen2.
https://www.motorreviewer.com/engine.php?engine_id=119

Make sure the water pump is in good condition. I went through 2 pumps on my 2013 GTI ( same engine as yours). But haven't had any issues since .36k miles on the replacement so far

Periodically check your oil , sometimes they might burn a bit more oil.

I would recommend changing your oil every 4/5 k miles. Don't go with the recommended 10k mile , oil change.

Also look into getting a carbon cleaning done, if your engine is running a bit rough.

Intake manifold flappers tend to also fail on higher milage cars

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great, thanks for the reply. I'll look into the carbon clean and water pump before I proceed with the tune.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts