VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody today is the first day its been fairly cold and I'm not getting heat out of my vents. The car is running steady at 190F and doesn't seem to be attempting to climb over that. Lower radiator hose is hot, Upper is cool so one would think thermostat, but the upper heater core hose is hot and the lower is cold. I've never seen a stuck closed thermostat where the car wasn't overheating. I suppose it could be stuck open but I would think it would be running cold. I'm going to go do a scan and see if there are any codes. Lastly, after I got home I slowly vented the radiator cap, the pressure back filled into the reserve tank and quickly filled it almost nearly full then bled back down on its own pretty quickly too.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Whelp its a clogged heater core and radiator. The heater core is $17, yes not a typo seventeen dollars from the dealer. But he said at my mileage and being a TDI to bring it in cause its under warranty until 120k. I'm at 119,911 lol. I hate dropping off a car I just bought but, here we go.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
So I had the dealer replace the heater core Wednesday. I’ve driven the car 2x since i picked it up with no heat issues. Whelp today, no heat again… this Is stupid I have cars with 300k plus with original heater cores.

• Wow
Reactions: snobrdrdan

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welp shes back at the dealer. They are changing a laundry list of things now and I wont have the car back for a while. Thank god I have the trusty rusty honda pilot with nearly 300k on it that runs like a top.
  • Heater core - of course
  • Radiator
  • All coolers
  • DPF normally $4,800.
  • And the condenser had a leak so I said slap a new one in, which is the only thing I'm paying for out of pocket for $600, Part $360/ labor 1.4hr @ 170/hr so $238, so that's replaced and ac system charged back up for $600.

I confirmed with the tech that the EGR cooler is the next component upstream of the heater core and it has no bypass when the heater core is clogged. So it just bakes the hell out of the coolant clogging the core worse and worse. If you let it go too long it will bake the plastic elbow on the firewall to the core and the elbow will fail and dump coolant.

• Wow
Reactions: snobrdrdan

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So they did all the above last week and then took it for a drive and they noticed this random bucking I've been experiencing. Changed the fuel injectors and then the next morning on the test drive had transmission issues. They made it back to the shop and it was throwing codes for clutch pressure. Not sure what code. So now they are changing the transmission. All under warranty and I'm driving a brand new loaner. A very very very happy VW owner here. Never expected a vehicle bought many second hands later at 120k mi that they would warranty so much.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Need to revise title to "2013 Passat TDI SE - Lemon". Without that warranty, can't imagine.
Yeah probably should at this point. I'm pretty happy with what they have done. They've bent over backwards to get this thing running good. And letting me have a 2022 Taos SEL to use in the meantime at no cost is pretty unheard of at this mileage. Without a warranty it would have got the emissions delete, tune and then the transmission would have probably been an expensive part to find from a salvage yard and you never no what your getting. I got one for my Chevy S10 years ago from salvage and its served me well. But my luck at this point I'd spend all that time and money on one and it would have the same issue or worse.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The dealer let me know today that the new trans is there. They began swapping it this evening so I may get it back tomorrow. Lets hope anyway!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I finally got the car back today! I will say it runs great and shifts amazing.
According to the paperwork the code the transmission had was P1741.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Whelp, she drove great for 2 days. This morning I heard a gargling sound from behind the dash as I pulled out of the driveway. Once it got to temp guess what is no longer working again?

Passenger Heat lol. I'm at a total loss for words. It text the service manager and he was like wth! lol Bring her back!
Back she goes once they have a loaner available.

I really wish I was making this stuff up. But I can't do anything but laugh at this point.

·
Registered
544 Posts
So now 9 year old cars are lemons??? 119K miles!!! There's a reason why people trade in old cars for new ones. Enjoy your ride :cool:

·
Registered
13,165 Posts
Ugh, sorry about that!

Sounds like they are not flushing out the coolant system, so there may be gunk that keeps clogging the core once it heats up and starts to cycle. I'm just armchair mechanic guessing at this point.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So now 9 year old cars are lemons??? 119K miles!!! There's a reason why people trade in old cars for new ones. Enjoy your ride :cool:
My list of cars at home in my signature, the two newer VW are older cars with say 120-150k. However all of the other have 270kmi ea. Out of them all I've done 1 heater core in the S10.
This car has had 2 heater cores, soon to be 3 in the last month and 3 last year by the previous owner. 6 heater cores in a year is insane. There is an obvious design flaw here in the cooling system. It was 7 Farenheight here today. Excuse me while I try to enjoy it freezing my nipps off!

Ugh, sorry about that!

Sounds like they are not flushing out the coolant system, so there may be gunk that keeps clogging the core once it heats up and starts to cycle. I'm just armchair mechanic guessing at this point.
They claim they are flushing it and the fluid in the reservoir looks exactly the same as the fluid in a new OEM G13 bottle. Its been so cold since I got it back that I haven't had a chance to verify all of the items they actually replaced the items they claim. The transmission is obvious, brand new aluminum casing and still has the OEM tags on it.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts

Would imagine most people are reasonably interpreting your use of "lemon" to the root meaning, which is why calling a 100k+ car a lemon is confusing.
I would just call it a high mile car having issues.

Product Rectangle Font Screenshot Magenta

But I agree with the above suggestion that there is enough crud in the system to either clog the core, or you have a malfunctioning heater valve of some sorts. It should be fairly simple to test if the core is clogged.

·
Registered
13,165 Posts
Let's unwad the panties folks. Blame me because the initial thread title was sans "Lemon", just "2013 Passat TDI SE" I said to add it because of all the times it's been back and fourth to the dealer. Again, blame me and not the OP.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Not that I would see you any differently, but, you wear panties???
Only on days that end in Y. I worked a long career in aircraft mx. I haven't a feeling left to harm.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well still no loaners or open slots to bring me into the dealer. In the meantime the oil filter housing seep went from a seep with no drips to a full blown puddle with the cold snap.
So I just put a new oil filter housing/cooler in tonight. I'll do an oil change in the morning and I'm thinking I may just pull the heater core and flush it in the sink cause I need a working car. However I did see a lot of sludge in the block. Not the typical sediment like found in most of the heater cores people have cut open but actual sludge that reminds me of the dexcool issues on GM cars in the 90s. So I think it really needs a coolant flush additive to break up the sludge.

·
Registered
95 Posts
****in' hell man, this certainly fits the definition of a "lemon" more than anything that I've ever seen. I've never heard of a car with 120k miles being so troubling, especially a passat. Seeing that you just got the car and it has all these issues, wouldn't it be better to return the car or sell it? I would instead look for a passat with the 2.5. I've had it for years with little issues, and yeah, my heater core doesn't work.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
****in' hell man, this certainly fits the definition of a "lemon" more than anything that I've ever seen. I've never heard of a car with 120k miles being so troubling, especially a passat. Seeing that you just got the car and it has all these issues, wouldn't it be better to return the car or sell it? I would instead look for a passat with the 2.5. I've had it for years with little issues, and yeah, my heater core doesn't work.
Its been a huge pain, I feel like everything is falling apart on it all at once. I've never had a car just over 100k with this many issues. Usually its an issue here and there. I do have a 06 Pilot with 270k mi and it is falling apart like this Passat but its still drivable and has HOT heat! lol
I bought it private party and I can't sell it until the title comes back from the state... So for now I'm stuck! I have a 2.5 in my mkv jetta. Do they still eat the timing sets?
I got some prestone cooling system flush and I'm tempted to add it so I can let it run for multiple days and really break down that gelled coolant. Thats what I did on my S10 years ago after the dex cool jelled up. I've never had an issue with the cooling system on it again.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts