VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
took my t3 3.6 to the dealer and shop foreman confirmed the noise, but they couldnt pinpoint where it's coming from.
so far i done the following to narrow down the problem.
replaced all 4 tires and rebalanced twice.
replaced rotors and pads
performed 4 wheel alignment

the dealer confirmed it's not wheel bearings
the shop foreman called today and told me he cannot pinpoint where the issue is, it could be front or rear diff or transfer case. and advise me to keep driving it for another 1000 miles or 1 month and take it back and recheck. the problem is the car is so annoying to drive on the highway, and i have to wait till it gets worse....

the car is still under 10 year 100k miles powertrain warranty, but vw wont authorize a repair until they know exactly what part is making that noise.

anyone have similar experience? any help is appreciated. TIA

·
Registered
198 Posts
center drive shaft bearing

·
Registered
8 Posts
Wheel bearing...maybe. Maybe a CV joint. Really, a resonance like that could be about a million different things. Given the mechanical complexity of a car and all the heavy things that are spinning at high rpms it's surprising they don't resonate like mad at just about any speed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Whatever it is, though, it's not normal. I wish I could be more helpful, but I'm kind of stumped on this one. Your replacement of all 4 tires was smart. You can eliminate the engine. Try it with the clutch engaged and the tranny in neutral, then try it again with the clutch disengaged and the tranny in neutral. That will separate out different parts of the transmission. If it does it both ways it's probably not in the engine or the transmission, and I'd look at wheel bearings or something out there in that neighborhood.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts