VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
81 - 100 of 198 Posts

·
Registered
32,085 Posts
I wonder if it will be possible to get that "blade" in body-colour instead of Silver. Knowing Porsche it's probably a $20k option :laugh: I think that might look a little better (anyone able to Photoshop it?)
There was a photoshop of a red car with a black targa hoop a page or two back.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Strangely appealing. I would still take the 50th anniversary over this but props to Porsche for going bold.

·
Registered
'21 RS 5
14,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
Porsche UK site has tons of information, pics and videos of it.

·
Registered
'21 RS 5
14,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
I wonder how the targa top down driving experience feels different from the convertible top down driving experience in the driver's seat.

·
Registered
32,085 Posts
Where does the top go? Behind the rear seats? Do you have to duck if you're in the back seat, or does it clear the passengers?
Take a look at the video a few times. The top goes behind the rear seats. You may have to duck... Or more like if you would need to duck, they most likely disabled the roof switch if there's someone sitting in the backseat. Anyway, the rear of the top collapses a bit in the video before it's shoved in the back, so there wasn't enough space for it.

As you said, complicated.

·
Premium Member
'08 Saab 9-3, '66 Vespa
8,705 Posts
It looks kinda unbalanced to me. I think it's because it's missing the front quarter windows that the old ones had. The Targa hoop looks too thick compared to just the A pillar without them.

·
Registered
'21 RS 5
14,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
Not really any more complicated than their convertible.

Back opens up. Basket handle corners open. Top does slight fold as it recesses into the back. Not that much different than the convertible.

·
Registered
40,238 Posts
Take a look at the video a few times. The top goes behind the rear seats. You may have to duck... Or more like if you would need to duck, they most likely disabled the roof switch if there's someone sitting in the backseat. Anyway, the rear of the top collapses a bit in the video before it's shoved in the back, so there wasn't enough space for it.

Porsche left a few a few frames out of that video, and I was curious what #6 was.

1. Cover opens
  2. 10 other parts start to move
  3. Top starts folding
  4. 10 additional parts start to move
  5. Top starts moving towards rear
  6. ???????
  7. Cover closes.

I was just making sure this wasn't step 6

Back opens up. Basket handle corners open. Top does slight fold as it recesses into the back. Not that much different than the convertible.
While that may be true, you have what, 100 moving parts to take the whole top down and store it? With the Targa, this "same effort" is just for that little piece of roof. Overkill if you ask me, but it doesn't really matter since I'm not going to buy either.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
I get that different versions of cars need to exist because of varied tastes. That makes sense...

...but I just can't find a single reason why I'd want this over a coupe or a cabrio.

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
I love that they are trying to bring it back with a fully removable top. The sliding glass roof just didnt do it the way the real targa did (i own one).

That being said, the way they have forced the hoop onto the new car looks just that, forced. They could easily incorporate the old design into the new body if they didnt try to hark back to the old so much. it looks out of place if you ask me but i love the direction. I think a few more iterations and they will get it right.

The top folds up and goes up front for that guy who asked.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Porsche left a few a few frames out of that video, and I was curious what #6 was.

1. Cover opens
  2. 10 other parts start to move
  3. Top starts folding
  4. 10 additional parts start to move
  5. Top starts moving towards rear
  6. ???????
  7. Cover closes.

I was just making sure this wasn't step 6

I was thinking the same thing. They left out the money shot! :p

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
Looks awesome. I am all for any return or targas and t-tops. Those things are going to be everywhere down here. Insanely over-complex top mechanism is scary to think of servicing, but otherwise this thing it hot tits.

·
Registered
'21 RS 5
14,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
It's honestly not a big deal.

Go to HOW THE ROOOF WORKS!

You can do it back and forth yourself with a slider.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Take a look at the video a few times. The top goes behind the rear seats. You may have to duck... Or more like if you would need to duck you probably couldn't fit back there anyway. Anyway, the rear of the top collapses a bit in the video before it's shoved in the back, so there wasn't enough space for it.

FTFY

81 - 100 of 198 Posts