VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a lot of research to see what my options were as far as upgrading the speakers in my car. I quickly realized that this 10 speaker system is not that easy to upgrade. I had the Soumatrix Xtase speakers installed on my 2014 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI with 10 speaker system and RNS 510 radio (upgraded from RCD 510) after reading some on-line reviews.
Wow, what a difference over the OEM speakers. You would swear I have a hidden subwoofer in the car. Originally Soumatrix could not make the Xtase speakers work with any VW that had the unamplified 10 speaker system installed such as my car had, but they found a solution that worked. Still a plug-n-play just had to use a special harness provided by them in order to bypass the OEM crossover located on the front doors only. No need for any changes in the rear doors, just disconnected the door tweeters. These speakers are an ideal alternative to getting a very expensive component speaker system with amplifier. The problem with replacing the stock OEM speakers is finding something that fits in depth into the door without major alterations. Considering the costs involved with a good component speaker system, a good amplifier and all the necessary wiring involved and still having to deal with OEM crossover that I believe VW made almost impossible to replace the Xtase speakers are a breath of fresh air. Anyone that has taken their Jetta Sportwagens (with 10 speaker system) to an audio shop to have their speakers upgraded knows what I'm talking about. I don't know what VW was thinking about when they designed this component system in their front doors. I'm glad I had the Xtase speakers installed, i don't have to worry about totally draining my battery when listening to the radio with engine off, unlike amplified systems. Xtase speakers are somehow calibrated that they work wonderfully with my RNS 510 and pump so much crisp base its not funny (not needing to push the bass more than flat for anything), the clarity is extremely nice. I'm at 70% listening volume and I'm excited. I can open all windows and panoramic sunroof and still get the full effect from the speakers. All center tweeters on the Xtase speakers can be rotated to switch the direction of the sound. I have all 4 tweeters facing the front of vehicle, hence i get a "surround" sound effect and this indirect sound (to my ears) fills the car cabin.
I don't care what anybody out there says, these speakers are amazing. I was skeptical at first, but now I'm a believer. After the install I must of spend 2 hours in my garage listening to my mp3s not wanting to leave my car, the sound was captivating.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Would love to see some pix if there are any?

Sent using TapaTapaTalkeeTalk

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
all 4 OEM tweeters were disconnected, and the 2 midrange speakers mounted on the front door panels. i had to, but were left in place, just disconnected them. they would've distorted the sound. plus the OEM tweeters and the 2 midrange are garbage. now, the higher i put up the volume the better it sounds. i was skeptical at first also, as i've mentioned before. thinking going down from 10 speakers to 4 (2 way speakers) can't be any good. listen, i was wrong, you can have 1000 speakers in your car, but if they all suck, 4 (2 way speakers) very good speakers will beat them anytime.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts