·
Registered
5,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

S3PANG

Audi S3 with HR Sport Springs, 245 35 19x8.5 et47

I purchased a 2015 Audi S3 from Audi Willow Grove (philly burbs)
Ryan Stern was my salesman, 3rd purchase from him.
I was in/out in less than an hour.

Specs:
Sepang Blue pearl effect
Black & Titanium interior

Stock ^

-MMI Navigation Plus Pkg
cd/dvd with HD radio
MMI navi plus w/voice control
MMI touch
color driver info display
audi connect w/online services / hot-spot - 6month free

-Driver's Assist Pkg
parking system plus w/rearview camera <3
audi side assist

-Convenience Pkg
heated and power folding exterior mirrors <3
auto dimming driver side exterior mirror
auto dimming interior mirror with compass
LED interior lighting package
storage package

-LED Headlights w/ LED DRLs
-Bang & Olufsen Sound System <3
-Cargo Net
-Audi Guard Wheel Lock Kit (??why aren't the locks installed at the dealer??)
-All Season Tires (It's 25 degrees out, and I had a summer setup already)

Audi S3 Sepang Blue
by RyebreadPics, on Flickr

If you have an S3 on order, you have made the right decision.
I am coming from a tuned Golf R (best for tossing around and wicked raw fun - stage 2+), and a 335D (probably the best highway car in the states).
I've had a lot of cars. The S3? This is the best all-arounder.
Certainly, the S3 is an amazing "swiss army knife"! But you knew that, you're here on this forum! ;)

Audi S3 Sepang Blue - 3M Color Stable Automotive Window Film 35% TSER CS50

Size matters. This car is perfect. Perfect size for me and my needs.
The chassis. The driving position. It's all so magical.
Something about the high lines of the doors, the round vents, the shape of the side mirrors,and this chassis -makes me feel like I'm driving a TT!

S-Tronic/DSG, my 2nd go-around. It's just amazing.
I moved my Golf R comparisons to a future post that I made (a few down) - to clean this up a bit and make room.

Notes:
- Geico doesn't have the s3 logged yet.
So I'm getting a3 rates for prolly around 6 months or so.
Insurance card says S3, though.
Title says 2015 Audi!

-I didn't get mag ride, sorry y'all.
One reason, I own 19" HRE wheels from the R, which you will see below. They are wrapped in Michelin pss.
I also didn't want to be tied to mag ride. But believe me, it was a tough call. It's a great option! I'm sort of jelly of everyone who has it!

Mod List

Mod #1
Stealth Garage Door Opener Install!

Mod #2
3M Color Stable Automotive Window Film - 35% TSER CS50

Mod #3
H&R DR Series 8MM Wheel Spacers Version II
Can only be used on OEM wheels
Road tested to high speed, in Mexico. NO vibration what-so-ever!
Awesome product!!!!!

Mod #4
Halo EFX on 3 front grills and rear valance to create the black optics look.
Black vinyl for the side trim to complete the chrome-delete.
C-Quartz ceramic paint protection for the entire car.
Then a full front wrap with 3M Pro Shield PPF.

Mod #5
H&R Sport Springs
/removed

Mod #6
Unitronic Stage 1+ Map
/later upgraded to Stage 2

Mod #7
Summer Set-Up
Wheels - HRE Flow Form 01 - optional fog finish 19x8.5 +47
Tires - Conti Extreme DS (summers) 245/35

Mod #8
Unitronic Downpipe & Stage 2 Map

Mod #9
Posi Quiet Ceramic Brake Pads

Mod #10
New Winter Set-Up
Wheels - OEM S4 Peelers! 19x8.5 +43
Tires - Conti Extreme DWS06 (all season) 245/35 - amazing tires!

Mod #11
Uniconnect+
Unitronic DSG Tune (ecu)

Mod #12
Suspension Upgrade and Summary of many options
I removed the H&R
Tried several other kits
ended up with
Bilstein B16 PSS10 Coilovers

Pics
Just some silly iPhone images from my 24 hour experience, thus far.
I moved a couple weeks ago, and I need to unpack my dslr and take some proper images asap!
Happy New Year everyone!

The summer setup
- HRE Flow Form FF01 (fog finish) 19x8.5" et47 (no spacers)
- Michelin Pilot Super Sport Summers

Audi S3 Sepang Blue

Audi S3 Sepang Blue

Audi S3 Sepang Blue

Audi S3 Sepang Blue

Audi S3 Sepang Blue

Audi S3 Sepang Blue

Audi S3 Sepang Blue

Audi S3 Sepang Blue

Audi S3 Sepang Blue

Audi S3 Sepang Blue

Audi S3 Sepang Blue

Audi S3 Sepang Blue

2013 Golf R (rising blue) is gone!

Golf R, Unitronic Stage 2 + HPFP, Unitronic Exhaust, Unitronic Intake

It was a REALLY fantastic car to drive. I never took the short way home. EVER.
I have to get shout-outs to the following:
Unitronic, their intake/tune/exhaust is amazing. Their guys know what they're doing, and they are a lot of fun to work with.
CB Tuning, near Allentown PA. Their team is the same. Down-2-earth, friendly, respectful, great tech! Great service!
But the most important thing about both companies, they know how to treat people!!!

Cheers,
Ryan

·
Registered
99 Posts
All of my center console illumination is red with the exception of the white ring around the MMI knob and the cup holder rings. Weird. My vehicle is a 2015 S3 Prestige w/Performance package. Anyone? I posted your pic on another board, hope you don't mind? Nice car BTW

Audi S3 Sepang Blue[/url]

·
Registered
132 Posts
Ryan, nice car, congrats...

Tony, the white ring around the MMI knob is illuminated only when it is accepting touch-screen input, I do believe...

·
Premium Member
6,418 Posts
It's a beaut. As I said in the Mk VII forum, congrats. Been thinking about this a lot lately too. The no sunroof in the R bugs me. The LED tails I thought I could look past, but realize how wonky it looks to gave some LED lights and not others. I was behind a car the other day with LED repeaters in the mirrors and incandescent tail signals. Just didn't look right. But the price difference..... Glad I gave a year to think this over....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,561 Posts
1st, congrats on the new ride.
2nd, to me honestly it sounds like you couldn't wait, you wanted the car now and that's understandable.
3rd, you were really going about the price of the loaded R for being $40k, while that thing barebone is $41k :screwy:

Anyway, I'm sure you'll enjoy the car and I hope it serves you well, it is a Golf R in a more expensive suit ;)

·
Premium Member
6,418 Posts
Loaded R or not, MMI blows away VWs sorry excuse for in car tech. That alone is worth some bucks even if it is an option on the P+ trim.

·
Registered
319 Posts
1st, congrats on the new ride.
2nd, to me honestly it sounds like you couldn't wait, you wanted the car now and that's understandable.
3rd, you were really going about the price of the loaded R for being $40k, while that thing barebone is $41k :screwy:

Anyway, I'm sure you'll enjoy the car and I hope it serves you well, it is a Golf R in a more expensive suit ;)
Right and that "barebones" 41k S3 comes much better equipped. Personally I think the S3 is a bargain for what it is... the Golf R would be a tough sell for me and this is coming from a current mk vi golf r owner.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I purchased a 2015 Audi S3 yesterday
Audi Willow Grove, Ryan Stern was my salesman, 3rd purchase from him.
I was in/out in less than an hour.

Specs:
Sepang Blue
Titanium & Black interior
Convenience Pkg (wanted folding mir)
Driver's Assist Pkg (wanted backup camera
B&O, I'm really into audio
LED Lighting
MMI/navi

If you have a car on order, you have made the right decision.
I am coming from a tuned Golf R (best for tossing around and wicked raw fun - stage 2+), and a 335D (probably the best highway car in the states).
I've had a lot of cars. The S3? This is the best all-arounder.
Certainly, the S3 is an amazing "swiss army knife"! But you knew that, you're here on this forum! ;)
Hey Ryan,

How does the S3 compare to the 335D fuel economy at speeds around 80-90 mph?

I'm a month or two away to place my order for the S3 and I currently have an evolve tuned 335D M-Sport so you are the perfect person to make a comparison.

·
Registered
8,561 Posts
Loaded R or not, MMI blows away VWs sorry excuse for in car tech. That alone is worth some bucks even if it is an option on the P+ trim.
No argument from me on that one. It also comes with a roof standard :)

Right and that "barebones" 41k S3 comes much better equipped. Personally I think the S3 is a bargain for what it is... the Golf R would be a tough sell for me and this is coming from a current mk vi golf r owner.
Well there are a lot more options on the S3 and it does cater to the tech driven individual, their motto is "Vorsprung durch Technik" ... so that makes sense. However, I'd think most of us are concerned with the drive-train and power plant, i.e. same motor and tranny for $5k less ... PLUS you get a hatch, that alone is worth some bucks ;)

Anyway, sorry to sound like a debby downer in your intro post, congratulations man, the car is there and yours to enjoy. I look forward to seeing what you do with this car, your R was modded tastefully! :thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
5,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Silly text that I rambled out the first night I had the car:

Versus Golf R (mk7)
I went back and forth, several times. Hatchback vs. Sedan!
The seats fold down fully, in the S3, which helps a lot.
If I have a hockey game, I may use my wife's crossover. I'm a goalie, and the bag is the size of Connecticut.
I think it's a terrible joke that the R is $39k, no sunroof, no LED tail lights.
The taillights are the same as a standard Golf, c'mon. This was the same with the mk6. Fork over $800-1k for tail lights, right away.
Then VOA said you can't use the Partner Program with the first 500, meaning, you'll pay around msrp... maybe get $500-1k off, who knows.
Are you serious? That's a slap in the face of your DIEHARD ENTHUSIASTS.
That is stupid. It's only 500 cars!!!!
For that reason alone, I am going to Audi, that'll show em, lol not really.

Other reasons? You can get an S3 for below invoice.
It's probably more this, though: The Golf R, to me, looks like a bar of soap, similar to the A3-8P (which I've owned, so don't take this the wrong way).
Don't get me wrong, the Golf R mk7 is an amazing bar of soap! And you can't go wrong, GolfR/S3.
The mk7, man I was really close to getting it. It probably would have made me happy.
But I don't think I would have kept it very long.
When my wife asks how much was the Golf? I would have to gulp and say $40k? hahah!

So if you have the money, and the hatchback isn't a MUST have, the S3 wins....
....it has incredible lines. It looks like sex. It's more grown up. It's more modern and sophisticated looking. -all subjective!
Props to VOA and AOA for bringing both cars across the pond!!! Choice is good! :thumbup:

What did I learn from the mk6 R?
Never buy a manual R unless you plan to upgrade the clutch (if you're going to tune it).
Because they put a stupid GTI clutch in the R.

All of my center console illumination is red with the exception of the white ring around the MMI knob and the cup holder rings. Weird. My vehicle is a 2015 S3 Prestige w/Performance package. Anyone? I posted your pic on another board, hope you don't mind? Nice car BTW
Ryan, nice car, congrats...
Tony, the white ring around the MMI knob is illuminated only when it is accepting touch-screen input, I do believe...
thx gents
hey, I updated my list of options and hopefully that clarifies my lighting setup.
I haven't done anything, they are just on, and look sweet full time.

It's a beaut. As I said in the Mk VII forum, congrats. Been thinking about this a lot lately too. The no sunroof in the R bugs me. The LED tails I thought I could look past, but realize how wonky it looks to gave some LED lights and not others. I was behind a car the other day with LED repeaters in the mirrors and incandescent tail signals. Just didn't look right. But the price difference..... Glad I gave a year to think this over....
I'll be in NJ friday afternoon and evening, if you want to hook up for a beer LMK. I'll be waiting a long time for my car to get tinted, some protection film, and some chrome delete.

Hey Ryan,
How does the S3 compare to the 335D fuel economy at speeds around 80-90 mph?
I'm a month or two away to place my order for the S3 and I currently have an evolve tuned 335D M-Sport so you are the perfect person to make a comparison.
I am trying to avoid CC, and that's the only way to get a good handle on fuel economy.
but I'm driving to NJ tomorrow, so I'll see what I can do for you.
Look, NOTHING will compare with a car that is 425 TRQ, factory, and get's 36-38 highway!!!!
it was the GREATEST highway car possible, especially with sport suspension!!!
keep in touch, pm me with your cell and i'll text you real world pics when I can, cheers dude.

Anyway, sorry to sound like a debby downer in your intro post, congratulations man, the car is there and yours to enjoy. I look forward to seeing what you do with this car, your R was modded tastefully! :thumbup::thumbup:
I get it man, no worries. You're a realist. And you don't mind sharing your opinions.
This is a discussion based forum, so it's all good!!!
it's an amazing car (mk7). I am not here to justify my decision, per se.
I just wanted to explain my thought process on my decision. It was REALLY tough, so what does that tell you?
you can't go wrong!
and you know me, I like to express my opinions here, you guys are my shrinks.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Beautiful car!

·
Registered
3,138 Posts

I wonder how hard it would be to add the cup holder LEDs...

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Congrats Ryan! !

My conundrum is quite similar to yours. .. I'm a long time VW loyalist having owned a ton of MKI's....a few MT wagons...a 337..... an MKVI.... etc. (I just sold my TDI Passat in preparation for an ordered MT MKVII PP GTI "S")

The S is probably on its way to the dealer as I type. ...

What's the allure of the GTI?

The cloth
The hatch
The manual tranny
No roof
The Performance Package makes it one of the BEST front drivers on the planet

What am I doing here then?

Plain and simple:

The current GTI lease program is not subsidized one bit. ...

If I compare the probable lease payment of the GTI with that of the Audi employee lease for the S3.... I almost have no choice. ..The payments are close enough for me to stop and SERIOUSLY ponder.

The S3 has features that aren't important to me. .. even though I too fall under that category of those that are getting older. ..

But. ... heck I'm daily driving an '89 Cabriolet at the moment. ...lol

(Is there a tip jar for this session)

So... bottom line?

Within a few days, I'll either be over paying for a GTI. ... Or. .. by the third week of this month, I'll take delivery of a Florett Silver Metallic S3.... under sight protest. ... lol

So.... there you have it. ...

(it's almost a no brainer ....I know)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Congrats Ryan,

I am glad you pulled the trigger as I am sure it must have been an incredible experience. I feel I may follow your footsteps in getting the exact machine specs color and all. I have already posted on the MK7R forum about my disappointment in VWOAs decision to delay the R in the spec I want. And whilst the underpinnings are somewhat the same in both siblings, with the S3 its that incredible interior. That, the MMI, sunroof and LEDs make up for the delta in price. The Audi badge premium by itself is subjective.

Gorgeous car though and stellar analyses. I am envious as I really want one now, but will have to wait because I also want European Delivery sometime late summer next year.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
sweet! new car smell :p
With all the user adjustments does the dsg shift slower or faster depending on which setting you use ?
kind of similarly is throttle sensitivity amped up in the more aggressive driving mode and relaxed for just cruising around?

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I purchased a 2015 Audi S3 yesterday
You keep telling us how much you wouldn't pay for a Golf R (obligatory on-topic content), but you never said how much you did pay for the S3. Or did I just not spot that info in the very long post?

Neil
Enquiring minds...

·
Registered
5,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You keep telling us how much you wouldn't pay for a Golf R (obligatory on-topic content), but you never said how much you did pay for the S3. Or did I just not spot that info in the very long post?

Neil
Enquiring minds...
sorry dude, I was completely babbling.
new car smell had me woozy.
I got 8% off msrp.
the S3 is 41k up to around 51k.
I think my purchase price was around 45k.
now that I have the S3, I can't imagine the Golf R in my garage.
the S3 is so appealing to me, style wise.

·
Registered
66 Posts
great to hear the positive review. my order went in 11/25/14, so it will be awhile but appears you say worth the wait! Bob

·
Registered
5,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Mod #1
Silly mod, at that

I took my Liftmaster garage door opener, removed the metal sunvisor clip from it. Applied 3M velcro to the back of the opener.
Mounted it up on the wall behind the cup holders.
Really disappointing that the car doesn't have universal garage door openers in it, since I have a few garages that I visit on occasion. But it's not a big deal, take a deep breath!

I don't like having an opener rattling around. Or risk someone breaking in and stealing it.
But my car rests in a garage at nights, so the risk is low.
With that said, the opener (where it's mounted) blends in so well, nobody will see it :)

if you look really hard, you can barely see it, from this angle

opener stealth mount

this image will give you a better look

opener better look

1 - 20 of 191 Posts