VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
161 - 180 of 191 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi ryan sweet ride. I have a Daytona grey one. Really interested in getting mine tuned. I live within 20 -25 min of cb tuning. Was wonder on mon after ur done if I could meet u and get a quick ride to see if I wanna go that route or leave it alone. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #163 ·
Hi ryan sweet ride. I have a Daytona grey one. Really interested in getting mine tuned. I live within 20 -25 min of cb tuning. Was wonder on mon after ur done if I could meet u and get a quick ride to see if I wanna go that route or leave it alone. Thanks.
that's fine
pm me your cell and I'll text you. probably best if you met at the shop. I can text you when we're close to wrapping up, so you can get a head start.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I'm seeing 31-33mpg on flat highway roads at approx 70mph.
I need to figure out what you are feeding your S3. For all intents and purposes our cars were tuned identically before you went stage 2 and the best I've been able to get with stage 1.5+ and 93 octane is 26.7 mpg on the highway in comfort mode from Raleigh to Charlotte at 70-80 mph. I realize mpg falls off between 70-80 but I cant imagine its a 6 mpg difference.

·
Registered
5,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #168 ·

Part # C17772PG. Covercraft is the manufacturer. Custom Fit Car Cover: 2015 Audi S3 Prestige (WeatherShield HP - PG Gray) Size G3.

It's been a while since I've spent any of your monies.

Part # C17772PG.
Covercraft is the manufacturer.
Custom Fit Car Cover: 2015 Audi S3 Prestige (WeatherShield HP - PG Gray) Size G3.

Try to find a contact who is a master distributor of this brand. Good stuff.

Weathershield HP line is not the cheapest option.

But it is the best. And it was the only one that checked all the boxes for me.

indoor/outdoor
dramatic water resistance (quick dry)
hi po fabric
durable
lightweight
lockable
mildew resistant
requires very little space
good for rain/snow/acid rain/tree sap/etc.

They have some cool colors, but I kept it safe (better resale value).
Cheers

Part # C17772PG. Covercraft is the manufacturer. Custom Fit Car Cover: 2015 Audi S3 Prestige (WeatherShield HP - PG Gray) Size G3.

·
Registered
49 Posts
nothing new to report yet
I'm going Stage 2 on Monday of nx week!

shot with my mirrorless fuji

audi s3 sepang blue 8v

by Ryan Mac, on Flickr
I really enjoyed your updates and you have a beautiful car. Just got mine 2 months ago and after looking forward to my upgrades. Waiting for GIAC or APR to figure out the ECU update so i can tune my car. Maybe I should call a Unitronic shop. Just got my H&R sport springs and Vorsteiner is coming out with the FF-101 next month and I am going to be the lucky guy to get the first set. I have a set of VSE-003 on my Cayenne which is Vorsteiner 1-Piece Forged so I didn't want the FF-103 on my S3. Vors is sending out a set of 20" FF-102 while I wait for my 101's to be finished for a photos. I will be sure to post it. once again love your ride.

·
Registered
5,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #170 · (Edited)
I really enjoyed your updates and you have a beautiful car. Just got mine 2 months ago and after looking forward to my upgrades. Waiting for GIAC or APR to figure out the ECU update so i can tune my car. Maybe I should call a Unitronic shop. Just got my H&R sport springs and Vorsteiner is coming out with the FF-101 next month and I am going to be the lucky guy to get the first set. I have a set of VSE-003 on my Cayenne which is Vorsteiner 1-Piece Forged so I didn't want the FF-103 on my S3. Vors is sending out a set of 20" FF-102 while I wait for my 101's to be finished for a photos. I will be sure to post it. once again love your ride.
did you call Uni yet?
thx for the kind words mate!
good luck and keep me posted!

this weekend, I loaned my car to the folks at Unitronic to show my support for their great team.
just the best guys around.

Waterfest 2015

fourtitude photog captured this image:
http://fourtitude.com/galleries/?c=...ws/Enthusiast Shows/Waterfest/2015/A3-S3;i=12

·
Registered
5,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #171 ·
footage from Waterfest as covered by the Unitronic photographer, thank you!

Unitronic Stage 2 Audi S3 8V
by Ryan Mac, on Flickr

by Ryan Mac, on Flickr

by Ryan Mac, on Flickr

video of some wheel slippage in the drag race is at 1:47 into the vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBV8N1bbM14#action=share

there is a video here from waterfest. I am drag racing at 1:47 into the video. you can see/hear a little wheel spin. I was launching at 4k. I will try 3500 next time. conditions were horrible. 103 degrees in the sun, 85% humidity. tire pressure was mistakenly not adjusted- it was at 38.5psi so the 60ft was terrible. I was running in the 109-110mph range and low 12's. stage 2, with unitronic tune and downpipe being the only performance mods. I didn't see any stage 2 or 2+ mk7 or S3 run faster all weekend.

·
Registered
84 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
get a tune yet?

audi s3 sepang by Ryan Mac, on Flickr

audi s3 sepang by Ryan Mac, on Flickr
Actually not yet. Deciding between a piggy back and a full tune. I know a full one will be much better but can't get past the thought of how unlucky I am at getting caught doing things. Haha. In other words I am having nightmares of a flag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #176 · (Edited)
I'm not an expert. I'm just trying to get this all down (my thoughts).

the new tires are going to make me wonder why I have summer tires and all seasons.
I don't need snow tires, I just need winter tires. so all seasons are a must.
but these new all seasons are probably perfect for summer.

now, let me preface this by reminding you that my transition this week was:
19x8.5 wheel
245/35 tire
SAME tire size, and SAME wheel size
but offset 47 on my HRE summer wheel set up, on summer tires.
to: offset 43 on my S4 Peeler wheel set up, on all seasons.

the offset alone, is a big enough difference to make my car feel entirely new.

the car feels slightly more comfortable.
the grip is impressive. I could rock this all year, I wouldn't have any regrets.
the offset change alone, is going to make me sad, when I have to put my HRE back on.
I think for this size tire, this 43 offset is magic. and I like going square b/c it helps you get the ass around easier.

tread width is 8.5 on the DW. and 8.6 on the DWS. this isn't a lot. but my new setup seems to fill out the wheel wells a lot more.
could the extra .1" width create a taller sidewall? probably more that the wheels were pulled out another 4mm.
turn-in is improved.
speaks to the offset, I suppose, not just the tires.

again, tires are sublime. they really hit a homerun with the DWS06. get them in the next couple weeks while they have a $75 gift card rebate.

DW summer 21 lbs
DWS06 all season 23lbs
wheels HRE and summer tires 45.8lbs
wheels S4 et43 and all seasons 53lbs

Cheers

p.s.

I should add: people always talk offset and how it makes the car look. let my comments above remind you how important offset is to how the car FEELS. don't settle. get the right offset wheels. try to avoid spacers (if you're getting new wheels, not worth the aggravation). if you have oem wheels, different story (spacers are mandatory). I waited four months to find the right set of peelers with the et 43 (there are a few options). cheers

Audi S3, 245-35 DW06, 19x8.5 et43 Peelers by Ryan Mac, on Flickr

·
Registered
5,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #179 · (Edited)
In case you missed it, I installed the Unitronic Stage2 tune for my TCU (DSG tune), while sitting my car, which was located in my garage!
I had to purchase a Uniconnect+ device, for $150 from moddedeuros. But it was worth it.

The entire story was posted a month ago:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...DSG-software-quick-review-amp-emissions-story

But today, I learned something about a situation with a competitor of Unitronic.
This competitor, A** came out with an update to their ECU tune last week.
Enthusiasts get in their cars and drive to their local tuner for the update.
The enthusiast pays $50-$150 for the update, plus gas, drive-time, time away from family/work.
My buddy has a 4 month old baby, and his tuner is 4 hours each way.

Then today, my buddy finds out that A** has an update for the update. So he has to go back again.
I couldn't live with that, and my tuner is only 1 hour each way. This is why uniconnect+ makes unitronic the best option, for me.

I hope I don't come off as someone who thinks they know everything.
My point is this,
All these tunes are so close. But the convenience of Unitronic's Uniconnect+ for me, is KING.

UC+ is $150, paying for itself over and over again. The device makes it super easy for end users (like ME) to reflash, in the event that an update is required.
Luckily for me. Unitronic doesn't rush to the market, so there are not many updates anyhow.

uniconnect+

The UniConnect device gives you four options:
- performance engine flash YOURSELF
- performance transmission flash YOURSELF
- ecu diagnostic tool, check and clear codes LIKE VAG-COM, YOURSELF
- tcu diagnostic tool, check and clear codes LIKE VAG-COM, YOURSELF

Uniconnect Quick Pic
by Ryan Mac, on Flickr

I truly hope this helps someone who is on the fence make the right decision, for them.
Maybe he/she is 5 mins from an A** dealer, who won't charge them for all the updates.
Maybe not, in which case, Unitronic seems to be the best option.

Cheers

·
Registered
118 Posts
Ryan, love your build thread! Just picked up a sepang S3 with black optics, tech, led lighting, and home link. Reading up on so much info about this car and potential mod paths. Thanks for your contribution!

PS We're practically neighbors.:thumbup:

161 - 180 of 191 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.