VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
McLaren

Looking at the tire sizes in this comparison makes me think each car is scaled a little different in this photo.

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
I wanted to post how the Ferrari looks like but I was denied to link the web address of the image. It looks like it has a SurfBoard front section (nosecone) and didn't know until now that Kimi was shorter than Seb.

On second thought here it is!

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mercedes did take a different approach with their nose.

From F1's Official site:
Nose designs are arguably the biggest visual change to the cars in 2015, and although the regulations have been significantly tightened in this area there are still variations in the approaches teams have taken. In a bid to move away from the controversial designs spawned last year, the new rules require a low nose tip with a cross sectional area of at least 9,000mm2. Just 100mm behind the tip the nose must broaden to at least 20,000mm2. Some teams - among them Red Bull and Williams - have kept a stub at the front of their nose, as shown in the top image. Other teams, in contrast, have opted for a longer nose, which protrudes over the front of the wing. Mercedes have taken a different route again, opting for a shorter nose but with a very slight point rather than a stub. As per the regulations, this is much slimmer than their 2014 solution. The main challenge for all teams is to compensate for the big aerodynamic impact of the changes, as the newly mandated nose section creates a blockage, robbing the front of the car of downforce.

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
What is that bump on the McL nose?

See how bigger the intake opening is on the Toro Roso compared to the rest.

The McL is also a bit wider too. Notice the bump on the nose is gone in this img.

Compare with the Lotus and MB.

·
Registered
20,309 Posts
Wow, front wings are really hideous. And I liked Ferrari livery much more when they weren't a rolling collage of crap. I realize sponsor space is big money, but I think it makes the cars look like crap.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
What is that bump on the McL nose?

See how bigger the intake opening is on the Toro Roso compared to the rest.

The McLaren bump is a camera of sorts measuring the deflection of the front wing...see the white stickers on the inside of the wing. And that air intake is pretty massive on the Torro Rosso, but the Lotus looks small for the primary inlet however there are two more on the side just below the main inlet. Good stuff!

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
The McLaren bump is a camera of sorts measuring the deflection of the front wing...see the white stickers on the inside of the wing. And that air intake is pretty massive on the Torro Rosso, but the Lotus looks small for the primary inlet however there are two more on the side just below the main inlet. Good stuff!
I think that there is more to that than just a place to house a camera, just an opinion.

It doesn't have it in this img.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
I see a hole in the bump with something aimed at either the wing end plate or something close by. If it is a camera the housing would also house the communication gear since it's a snap-on device of sorts and probably has no room or provisions for the com gear inside the nose.

·
Registered
7,605 Posts
Well fellas... we're back...

So far cars looking nice... fave so far is oddly the Macca & W06... STR and Force India are clean too... That livery on the RB needs to go... I get dizzy just looking at it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts