VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2015 Sportwagen TDI 50k miles.

Still covered under powertrain warranty. It's going in tomorrow. I was hoping to educate myself a little before my appointment. I have dealer trust issues.

The top-down photo that is zoomed in a little bit shows how much oil leaked after 40 miles. Sunday I took off the splash shield and cleaned that area so I could easily monitor the leak.

I'm also losing coolant. I replaced the expansion tank and cap and coolant is still slowly vanishing. Thankfully I still have about 7k miles on the powertrain warranty. They actually told me on the phone that the tank and cap wouldn't have been covered. I'm kind of expecting the worse from these crooks but maybe I'll get lucky.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Water pumps are a common failure mode on the 2015 TDI with the variable solenoid sleeve design, but that wouldn't help you for the oil leak.

I'd be real curious at the state of the TB under the cover, leaking WP can cause premature failure of the TB.

You stated you only had 50K yet only had 7K power train left.

What is the current state of the emissions recall work done on the ride? Did you buy it new in '15? Did you get phase 1 or 2 done to the car? If so, majority of the power-train warranty is much greater than 60K.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The dealer said that is coolant leaking down and pooling up.

I'm not sure why it looks so much like oil, any ideas?

They are replacing the waterpump and timing belt (because it got soaked).

So, lesson learned kids, if you are losing coolant don't sleep on it. I started losing it about a month ago, should have taken it in immediately.

Get it looked at ASAP while the warranty is good.
This would have been a hateful bill from the dealer.
I'm 7k out from 60k and warranty being gone.
I would have been pissed to drop a grand on a car with such low miles.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
yeah, TB is timing belt, no chains on the 1.9t or 2.0t TDI (only the 3.0t).

If you have phase 1 and 2 completed i believe you have much much more than 7K left on majority of the powertrain warranty due to the emissions recall work, the WP should be covered by the extended warranty.

I'd also agree with you that doesn't look like coolant but sooted motor oil (way too dark), not coolant. Wipe your finger on it, if it stains for miles, it's motor oil with soot in it. I'm not sure if a seal on the camshaft is starting to go on the head, but the only way to tell is looking under that TB cover.

If the dealer is changing out the WP i'd be very adamant they also change the TB due to coolant/oil possibly shortening the life of the belt, 95% of the labor is done when changing out the WP so it shouldn't be that much more to change the belt, i'd even pay the $30-50 for the belt if the dealer can't get VWoA to reimburse it.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They changed the timing belt, water pump, and tensioner. I'm not sure why they did the tensioner as well.
The belt got wet and that was a given.
I'll be watching it super carefully over the next few months to see if any more leaking occurs.
It's not a big deal to drive it up on my ramps and drop that bell pan and stick my head up there to look.

They did overfill the coolant, the guy said it'll burp at some point but I guess if it doesn't I should take some out?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That area has been dry since the repair. I've been keeping a close eye on it. It's about 500 miles out from an oil change and I'll peek up there again and see how it looks.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
maybe that black stuff was bits of the TB that the coolant was eating. Def good idea to keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
October 24, rotated the tires and noticed the top of the pan is covered in gunk again. The coolant is a little low also (not full to the top line).
Car has 68,xxx miles now. Are these pumps so bad they can fail this quick?

I hope I don't have to come out of pocket for this time around as the standard warranty is done and what's covered by the Diesel Gate warranty isn't clear.

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My 2016 GSW has been leaking coolant slowly from the start. It leaks more quickly in hot weather, I have topped it up several times, but the situation looks stable, so at 47K+ miles (still on warranty) I have no plans to replace the pump.
I’d get that changed under warranty. You’ll likely soak your belt and shorten it’s life.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
if it ain't broke, it might break in short order, then you'll be left with a paperweight.

TB and water pump is not covered under diselgate warranty, as it's not part of the long block and doesn't touch engine oil. Vw would state you didn't maintain the car/timing belt/water pump thus nothing can be done. The only warranty you'd have would be under CPO power train warranty.

I'd at least look under the timing belt to see if the belt looks healthy.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts