VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Does any one know how to pop the side mirrors off? I want to see what wires power the warning light. My goal is I want to put a LED light inside the car that is easier to see in the day.

Thank you,

Paul

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Hello,

Does any one know how to pop the side mirrors off? I want to see what wires power the warning light. My goal is I want to put a LED light inside the car that is easier to see in the day.

Thank you,

Paul
Yes I've noticed that the blind spot monitor icons are particularly hard to see in bright day light even red would have been better. So I totally get it. I wouldn't mind both a visual and audio cue that can be turned off. :)

There are a few tutorials on youtube that teach you how to remove the glass.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWD1j4gEka0 - This shows you how to replace the mirror.

Something like this would be ideal though, so you know which side the vehicle is.

Our Speedometers have the icon for it already, and other markets like Germany uses it, not sure if we can activate this through VAG-COM. Would be nice though.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Yes I've noticed that the blind spot monitor icons are particularly hard to see in bright day light even red would have been better. So I totally get it. I wouldn't mind both a visual and audio cue that can be turned off. :)

There are a few tutorials on youtube that teach you how to remove the glass.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWD1j4gEka0 - This shows you how to replace the mirror.

Something like this would be ideal though, so you know which side the vehicle is.

Our Speedometers have the icon for it already, and other markets like Germany uses it, not sure if we can activate this through VAG-COM. Would be nice though.

After looking through all of my relevant wiring diagrams and maintenance manuals from the Erwin site that I downloaded previously, I can't find any info on the LEDs that illuminate in the mirrors. None of the wiring diagrams that show the mirrors have the warning LEDs. I took VCDS and looked through coding and adaptions for the instrument icon and couldn't find anything related. I need to send Ross-tech a scan of some of the modules that aren't identified. This in on a 16 Passat with Tech. I would really like to have the light in the instrument illuminate to get my attention as the LEDs in the mirrors don't do it during the day.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think the easiest way is to add a LED to the inside of the car. Just need to find out what wires power the light is the side mirror and run it off of that.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I think the easiest way is to add a LED to the inside of the car. Just need to find out what wires power the light is the side mirror and run it off of that.
Should be easy enough to see once the mirror is off. VW didnt do a good job of shielding the wires behind the mirrors. I can see a bunch of colored wires in the gap between the housing and the mirror. May pop it open just to tidy it up. Looks like spaghetti back there. Kind of surprising seeing how other harnesses are well wrapped and insulated from the elements.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I agree.. I think that a very small light mounted in the ac pod/vent should look good and do the trick. (if it can be done)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts