VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
Why in the Hell is SlashGear reviewing a Golf R? Vincent (who it appears is still in charge) was a huge Apple nerd and he and I used to cover Macworld together. I was amazed to see he still runs the site. The fact that they're moving to cars is a bit weird. ...publications evolve I guess. They should stick to smartphones.

·
Registered
54 Posts
A lot of tech sites are trying to get into the automotive field because it where tech is growing most rapidly. They usually do a very bad job. Now, CNET has a couple guys, Tim Stevens and Brian Cooley that have a channel called Road Show, they have a podcast called CNET on cars and an even newer and better one called AutoCorrect, I think. Both are car guys and Tim even races.
Anyway, its worth a look if you are interested in car tech.

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
A lot of tech sites are trying to get into the automotive field because it where tech is growing most rapidly. They usually do a very bad job. Now, CNET has a couple guys, Tim Stevens and Brian Cooley that have a channel called Road Show, they have a podcast called CNET on cars and an even newer and better one called AutoCorrect, I think. Both are car guys and Tim even races.
Anyway, its worth a look if you are interested in car tech.
Thanks! I'll check it out. CNET was an uber-geek site then they acquired download.com, Last.FM, started doing video production and now they're the site my grandparents go to when comparing Vacuum cleaners :) fI think they were acquired by CBS. The media landscape has changed so much. Engadget was independent back then and HuffPo was independent and Business Insider was actually a site that covered silicon valley business news. They've taken the worst turn of all of them.

Creating content is very expensive if done well. It's good to see these groups branching out but you gotta hire people that know what they're doing in those fields. Having a coder review a drone and a Golf in the same week is very challenging.

·
Registered
743 Posts
You thought it was fair to say the STI "trounces" the Golf R in some performance categories?
That's a little disingenuous given they were talking now about the Mustang, Camaro, STI and R in the same sentence. And performance is more than quarter mile or 0-60 time. The average buyer doesn't cross shop only on the basis of affordability however - if they did no one would ever buy an FR-S or BRZ (and there are faaaarrrr more of those than Rs) for the same "you could've bought a Mustang or WRX" reason.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.