VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently added a four-year-old Rolls-Royce to my "fleet" and posted a picture in the "Let's see YOUR car" thread here in the Car Lounge. A few people asked for a separate thread to discuss it, so here I am.

To kick things off, here's a picture of the car. (Most of these photos are from the dealer.) I'll add more pics and detail in additional posts.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
(Full disclosure -- I've got a similar thread going on Miata.net, so if you're on there, you might have already seen some of this.)

The Ghost is in addition to a Miata RF and a VW Golf R. Each car is unique and cool in its own way. But the Ghost is rarer (at least it is where I live), so I'm happy to share some of its cool stuff here with anybody who's interested.

The company has been making cars for over 115 years. The engineering is amazing. Admittedly, my car is about 20% an F01 BMW Seven Series, but that's not a bad start (especially since none of the awful F01 body came across). The twin-turbo V12 is based on a BMW design and built in Munich, but it's only used in Rolls-Royces. It's no Golf R, but the car handles surprisingly well and accelerates incredibly. Zero to 60 is quoted at 4.9 seconds.

The craftsmanship is amazing. Let's start with the paint stripe, or -- as Rolls-Royce calls it -- the coach line. It's hand painted. There's one guy in the factory who applies it and he does it freehand. It was one of my "nice-to-have" items while I was shopping.

Here's some more photos.

Closeup of the driver's door showing Dark Spice (brown) leather and Seashell (off-white) pannier.

Instrument panel showing Dark Spice leather with Seashell stitching below the wood trim.

Rear seat showing controls for individual seat adjustment.

Closeup of the wood trim. All four doors, the rear seat picnic tables, and the dashboard have this upgraded wood trim. It's walnut burl ("burr" in British English) inlaid at the bottom with striped wood.

Reactions: GLI Dan

·
Registered
80 Caddy, 88 Cabby, 91 Jetta TDI, 15 GSW TDI, 19 Tiguan
25,041 Posts
Thanks for answering the call. Beautiful car!

I'd love to just be driven around all day in that. :thumbup: In for ownership updates.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Happy to share and post more if people are interested...

·
Premium Member
2 MQB hatchbacks, some Fords and a Honda.
900 Posts
I love suicide doors. Therefore, I love this car. Thank you for sharing and congratulations!

·
Registered
'94 Corrado/ '07 997tt/ '18 GC SRT
28,099 Posts
The whole concept of something like this fascinates me. I can understand and appreciate all the high quality and artisan workmanship, but I can't say I've ever felt the remote desire to own a RR or even Bentley---new or used. Either pricey (when new) or affordable (as in an older decently used model). For me, I think I'd be perfectly happy with an S class if I wanted something well made, large, luxurious, and comfortable. So help me understand the psychology of this. Is a RR a dream vehicle of yours and you were finally able to afford one? Is it that you wanted something luxurious, large, and comfortable and simply found a good deal on this RR? Or was it simply the hand-crafted nature of the RR that drew you to the purchase? Or something else?

·
Turtles walk slowly, but get angry fast!
21 RS6 10 A6 Avant 04 Isuzu Ascender 02 Chevy 2500 88 16v Scirocco
11,503 Posts
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Super Moderator
7,098 Posts
I like this car's bigger brother, the Phantom. I've driven one a few times and i get the allure, but that car really is too big to drive around regularly.

But I'm a HUGE fan of the Ghost. As crazy as it is to write this out, there is some practiced restraint about this car, in size and demeanor, that makes it seem downright usable on a daily basis. But at the same time, it truly feels special. You definitely don't mistake it for anything else when you drive one, or think for a second that it feels like a BMW.

Owning this, a Golf R and a Miata has GOT to put you in a very isolated demographic. That's a win. :laugh:

·
Premium Member
2 MQB hatchbacks, some Fords and a Honda.
900 Posts
The whole concept of something like this fascinates me. I can understand and appreciate all the high quality and artisan workmanship, but I can't say I've ever felt the remote desire to own a RR or even Bentley---new or used. Either pricey (when new) or affordable (as in an older decently used model). For me, I think I'd be perfectly happy with an S class if I wanted something well made, large, luxurious, and comfortable. So help me understand the psychology of this. Is a RR a dream vehicle of yours and you were finally able to afford one? Is it that you wanted something luxurious, large, and comfortable and simply found a good deal on this RR? Or was it simply the hand-crafted nature of the RR that drew you to the purchase? Or something else?
It's interesting you bring this up. I've mentioned in previous threads about my family in Seattle and their history with Maybach. I've asked them almost the same questions you've just asked. Why Maybach and not just an S Class or even AMG S Class? From what I could make of their answer was that they have always been Benz people. Just as I grew up in the back seat of my parents Volvo's, they grew up in the back of their parents Mercedes. The Maybach was the "grail" so to speak and when it became attainable, it was the only option.

Not sure if OP has the "grail" mentality with RR. But I thought that little tid bit was relevant to your questions and I figured I'd share the mindset of another uber-lux car buyer.

·
Premium Member
19,341 Posts
In for more gratuitous detail pics!!

Gorgeous color combo! While I have no idea what I would do with one, I do wholly appreciate imperious wafting. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
How do you feel about watches timepieces?

·
Registered
'94 Corrado/ '07 997tt/ '18 GC SRT
28,099 Posts
It's interesting you bring this up. I've mentioned in previous threads about my family in Seattle and their history with Maybach. I've asked them almost the same questions you've just asked. Why Maybach and not just an S Class or even AMG S Class? From what I could make of their answer was that they have always been Benz people. Just as I grew up in the back seat of my parents Volvo's, they grew up in the back of their parents Mercedes. The Maybach was the "grail" so to speak and when it became attainable, it was the only option.

Not sure if OP has the "grail" mentality with RR. But I thought that little tid bit was relevant to your questions and I figured I'd share the mindset of another uber-lux car buyer.
No worries, thanks for the perspective. If you're like me, it makes total sense to pay mega bucks on some hypercar because the styling, performance, and the combination of exotic materials and build quality (depending on the hypercar in question). Something like a RR/Bentley appears to be purely a materials and attention to detail play. But the "this is what we've always bought" isn't something I thought of. Keep it coming.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 111 Posts