VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car, purchased in 2016, has just exited warranty, so I guess it makes sense that this would happen now? Hoping maybe someone has some insight as I am going to be taking it to a local shop but the soonest they can get me in is 3 days from now:

A handful of times in the last year my Sportwagen has not started if I've stopped the car and just sat in it without opening the door and "shutting off" power, like you would if you were wrapping up a phone call in your driveway (this is a REALLY stupid feature and I don't understand why the car is designed this way). I will leave it for a few hours, come back and it starts up fine. I chalked it up to the battery getting low, but it's so infrequent I just forgot between occurrences.

In the last 2 weeks I have had a handful of instances where I've had to push the start button more than once to get the car to start. Last week I got a key error message, changed the battery in the fob. It was such a random occurrence I wasn't sure if I'd resolved it, but the car was starting normally so I didn't think anything of it. In the last few days, it was happening every single time I tried to start, and then yesterday the car just wouldn't start at all after a few tries. I could feel/hear it trying to start, but nothing. I left it overnight and today all I get is the power coming on (lights work, doors lock, windows go up and down), but just get a click when I push the button and not even the sound of the car trying to start.

This is what I'm getting on the dashboard today. Anyone have thoughts on this or experience to share?

I can't believe a car with only 50k miles (and I drive like a grandma) that has been serviced regularly would have a major issue. Thankfully I have Mechanical breakdown insurance through my car insurance company so anything major will likely be covered, but this is not ideal.

Light Gauge Font Speedometer Amber

·
Registered
17 Golf Sportwagen S 4motion
128 Posts
Did you ever end up replacing the cars battery?

Batteries only last 4-6 years and since your car is 5 years old if the battery has gone really bad it could see it throwing both those lights.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I'd start with the battery - if you have an O'Reilly Auto Parts, NAPA, Advanced Auto, etc. they offer free battery testing . . . its possible that your codes are caused by a low battery. The "gremlins" you've experienced over the past weeks may have been from a deteriorating battery.

·
Registered
128 Posts
CAA Will test it your battery on the roadside and even bring a battery to you and install it with some crazy canada/us warranty... I imagine AAA is similarly awesome.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses, all! I had not yet replaced the battery because these lights came on. I guess I assumed that if the rest of the car has power, the battery could not be dead? I will call AAA today and see if they can do the replacement. If that is the only issue, I would be so happy! Will try that and report back.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Ever notice the radio shuts off when you start the car? It's because the car needs all of the amps to start. It could have enough amps to power simple things lights, radio, windows despite not having enough amps for starting the car. Just call AAA and ask for a battery test/ roadside help if they say it's bad battery they will be happy give you pricing. Don't just assume it's a battery cause a couple on the guys said to start there 😉😉😉

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ever notice the radio shuts off when you start the car? It's because the car needs all of the amps to start. It could have enough amps to power simple things lights, radio, windows despite not having enough amps for starting the car. Just call AAA and ask for a battery test/ roadside help if they say it's bad battery they will be happy give you pricing. Don't just assume it's a battery cause a couple on the guys said to start there 😉😉😉

AAA must have been having a slow day, they’re already here have done the test and showed that the battery was “full but has zero life left”. Checked starter and alternator and they are OK. It jumped and ran for about 10 min and they are going to replace battery. The dash indicators did not come on when we started after the jump.

Would you still take it to the shop if the EPC or Check Engine lights no longer light up?

We are driving to Yosemite on Tuesday (3.5 hours) and I’d much rather take my car than my boyfriends 2008 Scion 🤮 but if something else is wrong don’t wanna risk it.

·
Registered
143 Posts
If the error lights clear after the battery install, they will still reside in the history. They can be cleared via VCDS or OBDEleven device . . . many national auto parts stores carry OBD readers as a customer service feature. I'm assuming they appeared due to your battery issue.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If the error lights clear after the battery install, they will still reside in the history. They can be cleared via VCDS or OBDEleven device . . . many national auto parts stores carry OBD readers as a customer service feature. I'm assuming they appeared due to your battery issue.
Thanks. That’s what I’m hoping will happen. So if the dash warning lights are no longer there after new battery you’d take it on a long trip in a few days? does AAA tow out of national parks? 😂😬🤞

·
Registered
128 Posts
As mcspiffy said the error will be stored and will live in the computer until they are cleared. I would take it on a long trip after the codes are cleared. I don't see no harm in driving without them cleared it's just what I would do 😉

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Battery was replaced and AAA guy said the EPC light came on but he looked it up online and found that he could turn the steering wheel to the left then the right to reset it so he did. Hoping it will still be in history.

I’m sitting in the car now and it started up normally and no lights on the dash! Going to take it to shop tomorrow and see if he can at least look at it for me before we leave Tuesday.

Thanks everyone for the tip. If this was it you likely saved me a few hundred bucks!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Battery was replaced and AAA guy said the EPC light came on but he looked it up online and found that he could turn the steering wheel to the left then the right to reset it so he did. Hoping it will still be in history.

I’m sitting in the car now and it started up normally and no lights on the dash! Going to take it to shop tomorrow and see if he can at least look at it for me before we leave Tuesday.

Thanks everyone for the tip. If this was it you likely saved me a few hundred bucks!
A low priced battery tester is a lifesaver to rule out the battery as a source of issues in modern cars

·
Registered
128 Posts

I'm glad to hear AAA Brought your GSW back to life.

My hypothesis is the dead battery gave all it had to the starter trying to start causing a computer module to lose power throwing the EPC light and CEL. The errors that caused those lights to come on will need to be cleared with obdeleven or VCDS.

Hopefully your mechanic is decent enough to not charge you a small fortune in diagnostics to clear the codes.

·
Registered
7,146 Posts
In modern cars with all the computer modules, a low battery condition can generate all sort of error codes when modules expecting to see/talk to each other can't.

You can find an inexpensive car battery load tester from places like Harbor Freight if you prefer to diag yourself. AAA/CAA membership is a good to have.

·
Registered
84,968 Posts
This is the Sacagawea light?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts