VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi There,

We just leased a new 2016 Tiguan S for my wife. The stock head unit is a bit of a disappointment - most notably, it doesn't even include Sirius.

I've searched around here a bit, and I've noticed that there are some really nice looking and cheap units available from China. (They may even be OEM??).

However, as I've looked around on here, it also seems that her 2016 Tiguan has a different interface (is it called MDI?) that would prevent any of the older OEM units from being Plug& Play. Are there wiring adapters for this?

So, what I'd like to do, is find a different head unit (that includes at least a Sirius tuner) that I can swap in. Ideally, it would include bluetooth hands-free compatibility, interface with the rear camera, interface with the steering wheel controls, and include either NAV or apple CARPLAY. Also ideally, it would be plug & play (or if not directly Plug & Play, use wiring adapters that would simplify the install). Do I need to do anything about a SIRIUS antenna, or is that already set?

Years ago, I'd done a number of audio system swaps in my other cars, but that was in the days when the only connections were power in, antenna, and speakers out.

And, of course, since this is a lease, I'd probably plan to remove it at the end of the lease term and put the OEM back in. Finally, I want to spend as little as possible to get all of wat I've described above.

How easy is it to get the stock radio out of the dash?

In terms of features:

Bluetooth Phone Hands Free Interface - MUST HAVE
Sirius (or XM) - MUST HAVE
Rear Camera interface - REALLY NICE TO HAVE
Steering Wheel Controls - REALLY NICE TO HAVE
NAV or CARPLAY - I'D LIKE TO HAVE

Thanks for any advice and tips!

Eric

·
Registered
20,037 Posts
the 2016's have different connectors for the harness than the previous headunits. So, that throws a huge monkey-wrench in compatibility.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks - I thought that was what I read elsewhere. And there aren't any "adapters" that allow one to hook up an older head unit to the new MIB II?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks - and then I'd be able to buy one of those cheap units off of Ebay that promises plug & play compatibility?? :)

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Where are you located? If you're near Western MA I have solutions for that vehicle to retain the OE features, etc.

Hi There,

We just leased a new 2016 Tiguan S for my wife. The stock head unit is a bit of a disappointment - most notably, it doesn't even include Sirius.

I've searched around here a bit, and I've noticed that there are some really nice looking and cheap units available from China. (They may even be OEM??).

However, as I've looked around on here, it also seems that her 2016 Tiguan has a different interface (is it called MDI?) that would prevent any of the older OEM units from being Plug& Play. Are there wiring adapters for this?

So, what I'd like to do, is find a different head unit (that includes at least a Sirius tuner) that I can swap in. Ideally, it would include bluetooth hands-free compatibility, interface with the rear camera, interface with the steering wheel controls, and include either NAV or apple CARPLAY. Also ideally, it would be plug & play (or if not directly Plug & Play, use wiring adapters that would simplify the install). Do I need to do anything about a SIRIUS antenna, or is that already set?

Years ago, I'd done a number of audio system swaps in my other cars, but that was in the days when the only connections were power in, antenna, and speakers out.

And, of course, since this is a lease, I'd probably plan to remove it at the end of the lease term and put the OEM back in. Finally, I want to spend as little as possible to get all of wat I've described above.

How easy is it to get the stock radio out of the dash?

In terms of features:

Bluetooth Phone Hands Free Interface - MUST HAVE
Sirius (or XM) - MUST HAVE
Rear Camera interface - REALLY NICE TO HAVE
Steering Wheel Controls - REALLY NICE TO HAVE
NAV or CARPLAY - I'D LIKE TO HAVE

Thanks for any advice and tips!

Eric

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Where are you located? If you're near Western MA I have solutions for that vehicle to retain the OE features, etc.
Hi NFrazier,

I just saw your reply (I know it's been a while) - I'm near Hartford, so Western MA is quite close. Looks like we've got another neighbor also interested - perhaps we can arrange a group buy?! :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts