VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a 2017 GLI with a little over 28,000 miles. I've been noticing over the last month or so that every once in a while I will get an odor of coolant after driving. I've been monitoring the coolant level and until recently hadn't noticed it lowering at all. I'm not seeing any visible leaks or coolant on the ground or in the engine bay. I'll be calling the dealership tomorrow to get in to take a look at it, anyone have any thoughts or suggestions of what could be the issue?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
361 Posts
I don’t have a GLI, but I have the 1.4T and I have also smelled a sweet smell and have had my car in numerous times for it and they can’t find anything. And I haven’t lost any coolant either. So I have no idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
663 Posts
Had the same thing happen to me with earlier this year. It turned out to be small leak on the heater core supply hose, I just swapped it with a new hose and the smell went away.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Had the same thing happen to me with earlier this year. It turned out to be small leak on the heater core supply hose, I just swapped it with a new hose and the smell went away.

Oh, I’ll definitely check that tomorrow. Thanks.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It went to the dealer today and they were not able to find any leaks, they pressure tested with no issues. Could be residual smell that just comes out every one in a while.

·
Registered
361 Posts
It went to the dealer today and they were not able to find any leaks, they pressure tested with no issues. Could be residual smell that just comes out every one in a while.

Yup, the same thing I get from them as well. If you’re not losing fluid, I guess just ignore it for a while and check everything during oil changes. That’s what I do. If there is a leak, it will show it’s self eventually.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
I use to have the same issue with the smell of coolant but never saw any fluid on the floor or missing in the the reservoir, so it seems like a normal thing.

Also haven’t smelled it in a while, it was mainly when the car was kinda still new.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
My wife's Sportwagen smells like coolant everytime I park. I've pressure checked it at work and couldn't find anything. I consider it normal now.

·
Registered
307 Posts
My Jetta and my brother's GTI both have the sweet smell. I've been told it is normal by a performance shop.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts