VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
8,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to let you guys know that I got CELs for the cold-start misfires on my 2017 Golf R. I cleared the codes the first time, but they came back about a month later. I decided to take it to the dealer to have the issue documented (because my research indicated that no fix was available yet). Well, it turns out a TSB software fix is available.

It's TSB 01-18-02 accord to my paperwork. Can anyone find the text of this TSB? I couldn't find it with a quick Google search.

Here should (hopefully) be a pic of the work order:

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Yeah there's a couple threads with it.. It came out (in Canada) in the middle of February, but i think you're the first one in the US to post having it done. It fixed the issue for me, i was getting CEL coming on every few weeks and rough start ups.

Software took about a half hour to get updated at the dealership, no idea on the text but it is specifically to address the 2017 misfires.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
All of my cold starts are rough and smooth out completely within ~20 secs. Never had CEL from it before.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
225 Posts
How do these software updates usually work? I have codes for random misfires on all cylinders however no CEL. Can i just go to a dealership and ask for the update?

·
Registered
503 Posts
How do these software updates usually work? I have codes for random misfires on all cylinders however no CEL. Can i just go to a dealership and ask for the update?
Odd you don't have a CEL, the three times I had it happen on mine I got CEL, cleared the code. I did some research and found through my own testing that if you let the car idle a bit longer at cold startup until the revs drop below 1k it doesn't happen anymore. The next time you bring your car to the dealer bring up the issue and the TSB. They should apply the software update to your car.

·
Registered
8,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Odd you don't have a CEL, the three times I had it happen on mine I got CEL, cleared the code. I did some research and found through my own testing that if you let the car idle a bit longer at cold startup until the revs drop below 1k it doesn't happen anymore. The next time you bring your car to the dealer bring up the issue and the TSB. They should apply the software update to your car.
My car would get the bucking/misfires when leaving work for the day in the late afternoon. It did this for several days straight before the CEL came on for the first time. The same thing happened the second time the CEL came on. So it is possible that the misfires haven't happened enough to trigger the CEL.

I, too, noticed that if I waited several (many) second after startup to move, the car didn't misfire. But the day I took the car to the dealer I made sure not to let the car idle to have fresh codes. :laugh:

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Within warranty, yes. They have to go and actually find the update, download it, then load it onto the car. My dealer wouldn't make the effort to locate the update and load it into my car until I made a big deal about it. They initially just reset my coding and kicked it out the door, telling me they did the update when they didn't, until I got pissy. Dealers are garbage.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
503 Posts
Within warranty, yes. They have to go and actually find the update, download it, then load it onto the car. My dealer wouldn't make the effort to locate the update and load it into my car until I made a big deal about it. They initially just reset my coding and kicked it out the door, telling me they did the update when they didn't, until I got pissy. Dealers are garbage.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
This is why its so important to find a good dealer that employs enthusiasts (assuming there's one nearby that does this). My service tech is a lifelong vdub fan and their Master Tech just finished a rwd swap into a mk4 jetta. Makes my dealer visits painless and fun because of the conversations we get to have about our projects.

·
Registered
295 Posts
This is why its so important to find a good dealer that employs enthusiasts (assuming there's one nearby that does this). My service tech is a lifelong vdub fan and their Master Tech just finished a rwd swap into a mk4 jetta. Makes my dealer visits painless and fun because of the conversations we get to have about our projects.
You must be from Seattle. He's a saint for doing so many installs for us

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
503 Posts
You must be from Seattle. He's a saint for doing so many installs for us

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
You are correct, and he's the best!

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
According to my dealer the update is only for 2017s since the 2015/2016s have different software that doesn't have the misfire/rough idle issue.

All of my cold starts are rough and smooth out completely within ~20 secs. Never had CEL from it before.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
Mine were before the update too, and after have been much much smoother. I've also had plenty CELs so i guess the symptoms vary.

There's no downside unless you're tuned or your dealer is an ass, i'd get it done next time you're in for service. It should show up when they plug your car in or enter your VIN (not sure how the process works to be honest, my dealer said it popped up for my car when "they plugged it in").

·
Registered
124 Posts
According to my dealer the update is only for 2017s since the 2015/2016s have different software that doesn't have the misfire/rough idle issue.

Not sure about that... there are quite a few of 2015/2016 folks with misfire issues (R and S3), including me (mine is an early 2015). I contacted my Audi dealer this morning and for now there is no TSB for the S3. But I have been 'summoned' to bring my car in next Wednesday to show it to their field tech yet again because of that issue. Let's see if there is something new...

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Not sure about that... there are quite a few of 2015/2016 folks with misfire issues (R and S3), including me (mine is an early 2015). I contacted my Audi dealer this morning and for now there is no TSB for the S3. But I have been 'summoned' to bring my car in next Wednesday to show it to their field tech yet again because of that issue. Let's see if there is something new...
It's different software for 2017+, so a fix for the 2017s won't be applicable for 2015/2016s sorry. I don't know it as a fact, but that's what the common knowldge on the forums is. Could be wrong of course.

I'm not saying there isn't an issue with the 15/16s as i have no idea, all the research i did was for the 2017 specific issue of rough startups triggering CEL's. The dealership also told me that the update was posted as specific to the 2017 R's.

Are you triggering CELs? It took a year of complaining before a fix was out for the 2017s triggering CEL's constantly.

·
Registered
53,454 Posts

There is no issue with the 2015/2016 R other than in the tiny minds of the posters here.

·
Registered
124 Posts
It's different software for 2017+, so a fix for the 2017s won't be applicable for 2015/2016s sorry. I don't know it as a fact, but that's what the common knowldge on the forums is. Could be wrong of course.

I'm not saying there isn't an issue with the 15/16s as i have no idea, all the research i did was for the 2017 specific issue of rough startups triggering CEL's. The dealership also told me that the update was posted as specific to the 2017 R's.

Are you triggering CELs? It took a year of complaining before a fix was out for the 2017s triggering CEL's constantly.

Ok, understood.
Its been over a year I have the misfire issue, I can trigger a CEL every time the car was off for more than say 5 hours(i.e. cold engine)... just turn it on, drive off in 1st gear and keep the rpms around 2800 which causes misfires and it takes about 20 seconds and the CEL is triggered. I documented that with my Service advisor who escalated it to Audi of Canada multiple times last summer. What she got back was and I quote from the letter: "This is a known issue that will occur only when the engine is cold. It is a software issue for there is no current solution. In the meantime, the symptom can be prevented by allowing the engine to idle for one minute after cold start before engaging any gear." End of quote... Since I drive my car very carful with a cold engine anyway that is not a problem and if I get a CEL I delete it with my VCDS. However this is not helpful at all...
Now I am curious what the field tech has to say this coming Wednesday...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for posting. Had the same problem with a CEL for misfires when cold. Doesn't sound like much, but it's a PITA to have to wait 1 minute before you drive off. I'll call the dealer and tell them about the TSB.

Jim A.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Ok, understood.
Its been over a year I have the misfire issue, I can trigger a CEL every time the car was off for more than say 5 hours(i.e. cold engine)... just turn it on, drive off in 1st gear and keep the rpms around 2800 which causes misfires and it takes about 20 seconds and the CEL is triggered. I documented that with my Service advisor who escalated it to Audi of Canada multiple times last summer. What she got back was and I quote from the letter: "This is a known issue that will occur only when the engine is cold. It is a software issue for there is no current solution. In the meantime, the symptom can be prevented by allowing the engine to idle for one minute after cold start before engaging any gear." End of quote... Since I drive my car very carful with a cold engine anyway that is not a problem and if I get a CEL I delete it with my VCDS. However this is not helpful at all...
Now I am curious what the field tech has to say this coming Wednesday...
That's interesting as it is the identical issue as my 2017 had before the update, so maybe the software was/is the same. I'd keep complaining and i know how annoying/frustrating it can be.

Funny enough they gave me the identical "solution", but half the time while i was idling waiting the CEL would trigger anyways.

·
Registered
124 Posts
That's interesting as it is the identical issue as my 2017 had before the update, so maybe the software was/is the same. I'd keep complaining and i know how annoying/frustrating it can be.

Funny enough they gave me the identical "solution", but half the time while i was idling waiting the CEL would trigger anyways.

So today my car went in to be inspected by the 'field technician' and to no avail... he acknowledged that this is indeed a known software issue but no solution for our cars (yet)... well I got to drive a brand new A4 Sportline for a day... felt like a boat, albeit a very zippy one, compared to the smaller S3... The tech opened yet another 'case' with his counterparts in Germany... so lets see what entails...

1 - 20 of 122 Posts