VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, hope all is well. Proud to be a new owner of 2017 Passat 1.8T SE. So far loving the drive and handling of the car. My model is equipped with the audio unit with nav (no fender) and I'd like to upgrade it to Android LCD. I've done some google research but the LCDs available online are compatible with 2015 or earlier models. Before I pull the trigger, I want to know if the Android unit would work in my car or anyone else in the forums have one installed? If yes, would you like to share some tips/ pictures or may be recommend a specific one to get?

Sorry if this has been asked before :)

Thanks

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have a pumpkin in my 2016 and quite like it... they changed the plug (I believe) in 2015 but there are adapters...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also, if its not too much to ask, can you share some pictures of your headunit and where did you get it from?

Sorry but I've been looking for a headunit for quite sometime but couldn't find the right one

·
Registered
76 Posts
I believe its this one, but read the description.. there are a few "flavors" available:

ISO Upgrade Radio Adapter MIB VW 2003 To VW 2015(PQ TO MQB)OR VW 2015 To VW 2003 (MQB To PQ) RCD330 RCD330G PLUS|vw vw|vw isovw mib - AliExpress

There are a couple threads (here on Vortex) on this... might be useful to search a couple keywords (try "pumpkin").

my plug (2016 Passat S which had the base-model (~4" LCD):

You can adapt the factory backup camera, but most reviews (at the time) implied that was pretty poor quality and flaky, so I ran a new wire and installed a cheap camera off Amazon:

Amazon.com: CCD Waterproof Car Trunk Handle Camera Vehicle Reverse Rear View Backup Camera for Audi A4 A5 S7 A6L A4L VW Passat Tiguan Golf Skoda Touran Sharan Magotan Touareg Sagitar: MP3 Players & Accessories

It fits nice and works pretty good, but you will tear up your forearms a bit getting to it.

The Pumpkin (www.autopumpkin.com):

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also, do you have pictures of your harness connection? Like from your OEM connector to pumpkin unit?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So sorry to flood you with the questions. I guess I am not able to figure out how the connection will look like from the original connector to the new connector. All the new plugs that I see are missing those green and blue sections of the plug. If I disconnect those, will I not need them hooked up in the new plug? And how would they connect to the new headunit?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Also, do you have pictures of your harness connection? Like from your OEM connector to pumpkin unit?
Our main plugs appear identical. You have a couple additional plugs (probably NAV and/or satellite)... Mine didn't have those.

I have looked through all my photo archives... I cant find any pics of the harness. According to my "order history" on Aliexpress, I have this plug:

when i click the description, it takes me here:

ISO Upgrade Radio Adapter MIB VW 2003 To VW 2015(PQ TO MQB)OR VW 2015 To VW 2003 (MQB To PQ) RCD330 RCD330G PLUS|vw vw|vw isovw mib - AliExpress

We are working with my old and distracted brain from a year old project... so all of this may be wrong, but I think I had to move the green and blue sub-plugs, but it was intuitive; only took a few minutes.

Alternately, I have an RNS510 sitting on the shelf next to my desk... I bought it from the classifieds here on Vortex, but never installed it. It was from an older (~2014 (?)). You can have it* if you want to try it (you cover shipping)... I am confident it is 100% perfect, but I haven't powered it up, so thats based on the sellers description.

*no strings... just trying to clean up the home office and this has been in the way for a year

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the quick response but my oem headunit is equipped with Nav already so RNS510 would be a similar one. I am really interested in getting the Android unit for the additional functionality. Attached is the picture of my existing headunit

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
^^ I don't think I've seen anyone upgrade/change out that radio since it has Android Auto/Car Play capability already from the factory
It’s a good radio, don’t get me wrong... it’s just that you get so much more with android head unit, plus many more apps that you can work with. Compared to android auto which only has limited apps that are supported without rooting your phone

·
Registered
2017 VW Passat SEL Premium
905 Posts
It’s a good radio, don’t get me wrong... it’s just that you get so much more with android head unit, plus many more apps that you can work with. Compared to android auto which only has limited apps that are supported without rooting your phone
You have the PQ Discover Media MIB2 with Fender audio system.

Here's what I recently told another:
Fender systems have a specialized (Panasonic) amplifier that sits under the driver's seat. Replacing the MIB head unit will require a new amplifier & probably speakers too because the front speaker set and subwoofer run DVC (dual voice coil). This little amplifier is running something like 8 channels, and you would be hard-pressed to find a comparable replacement. A complete system overhaul would likely be needed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You have the PQ Discover Media MIB2 with Fender audio system.

Here's what I recently told another:
Fender systems have a specialized (Panasonic) amplifier that sits under the driver's seat. Replacing the MIB head unit will require a new amplifier & probably speakers too because the front speaker set and subwoofer run DVC (dual voice coil). This little amplifier is running something like 8 channels, and you would be hard-pressed to find a comparable replacement. A complete system overhaul would likely be needed.
I don’t have the fender system. This is the SE trim which comes with Navigation only. Fender systems are included with the SEL trim which is the top of the line. I don’t have the subwoofer either.

·
Registered
2017 VW Passat SEL Premium
905 Posts
I don’t have the fender system. This is the SE trim which comes with Navigation only. Fender systems are included with the SEL trim which is the top of the line. I don’t have the subwoofer either.
Interesting, because your system looks like mine.
Well, your upgrade options should be simpler.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts