VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Passat SEL Premium
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anybody that lives in Massachusetts that can install a traction control button for my 17 SEL. I will pay $100 and lunch or beer.

Thank you

·
Registered
111 Posts
only thing stopping you from a DIY is VCDS long coding, installing the button is pretty easy with a you tube video

·
Registered
2017 Passat SEL Premium
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It’s possible though, correct? I need help with all of it. I’m not good at running wires through my firewall and messing with the abs module.

·
Registered
111 Posts
yeah I installed the traction control button myself, with a little help from a friend recently. getting the wire through the fire wall is kind of a pain but it wasn't impossible you just need a long, sturdy, and thin piece of metal to push it through. i got my button kit from ecs and it fit fine and looks oem.

·
Registered
2017 Passat SEL Premium
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It’s absolutely necessary on this car. I can’t take it anymore. I have a stage 1 tune and it drives me crazy every time it kicks on. Never mind when it snows. I can’t understand why they don’t have the button installed from the factory. Sometimes I feel people that develop the cars are idiots.

·
Registered
2017 VW Passat SEL Premium
911 Posts
Keep in mind the ECS button will not fit/match the 2016-2018 (possibly 2019) Passat due to trim piece change.

·
Registered
2017 Passat SEL Premium
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don’t care if I need to use a generic black button that I can retrofit somewhere. As long as the usp Motorsport button works on my car I am fine with that.

That button will work on a 17 SEL, correct? I read through all the posts and It seems that some people say it will not work on a 17 SEL unless I am reading it incorrectly.

·
Registered
2017 Passat SEL Premium
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I doesn’t matter to me if it looks oem. The generic button from USP will work, right?

·
Registered
111 Posts
personally, i think it will. the button works on my 1.8 tsi jetta so I'm assuming the ecus are essentially the same. i really cant see why you wouldn't be able to.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I was confused on "That button..." question.

Any momentary button will work. You are simply sending a 12v signal to the ABS module. Where you install it is entirely up to you, but inside the armrest next to a 12v source (power outlet) seems logical. Did you read through the post for example? A kit is not necessary. You can use a $2 button and <10 feet of 20 AWG wire, but you need to purchase a pin for the T47 harness.

·
Registered
2017 Passat SEL Premium
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you for the info. Usp sells a kit for $55. I will just buy that and go from there.

·
Registered
111 Posts
you definitely need to change a long code in vcds also. you can install the button but it wont work without a change in vcds or maybe obd11(not sure if obd11 works but I know vcds does). at least I needed to with my jetta

·
Registered
1,036 Posts

Much nicer kit than USP and costs much less - uses plugs instead of taps and repair wires. All you need, is to cut the red plug off, and replace with a standard 12v moment switch. This kit also has the grey wire which supports the cars interior dimming circuit, so that you can buy a moment switch with back lighting.

Hope this helps.

Coding for 2017 SEL is as follows -
3 - ABS Controller
7 - Coding
Long Code: C54BC0F549230000A30C03EB921E004100F1F01A
Change the last 2 digits - currently "1A"
change to 2A = Single Stage - ASR-OFF (quick press) along with front assist and ACC off, long press does nothing.
change to 6A = Double Stage - ESC-Sport (quick press), ESC-OFF (long press)
change to 7A = Double Stage - ASR-OFF (quick press), ESC-OFF (long press)

·
Registered
2017 Passat SEL Premium
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you very much! This information is extremely helpful.

Do you know if it is in position 8 or 9 in the abs control module?

I saw a video for an 18 GT that he plugged into position 8 but the instructions for the USP button says 9.

·
Registered
111 Posts
You have a 1.8 tsi non mqb? The gti you mentioned is mqb platform so it’s gonna be different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
911 Posts
Thank you very much! This information is extremely helpful.

Do you know if it is in position 8 or 9 in the abs control module?

I saw a video for an 18 GT that he plugged into position 8 but the instructions for the USP button says 9.
Pin 8 is in use, so it wouldn't go there. Pin 9 is where I've seen people install for switch signal, but honestly I don't know where that came from.
Pin 39 is used by Chinese NMS Passat which comes from the factory with TCS/ESP button and the same MK60EC1 ABS module.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts