VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I took advantage of a Memorial Day sale on a new Volvo S90 T6 Inscription, fully loaded. I received $10,000 off MSRP + $500 for being a member of the Volvo Club of America (which I joined 60 days ago for just $45). VCOA welcomes all Volvo owners *and* enthusiasts. The S90 MSRP /$67,775/ was less than the $72K my Phaeton was (I bought it used for $19,500.)

Now I have to detail the crap out of my Phaeton. I am hoping to get a buyer that actually knows something about it, but I will not be too picky. And I have to figure out a way to get rid of the "Defective Wheel On Board" yellow warning, that turns to "Flat Tyre" red warning about 10 minutes after I start driving. I have an el-cheapo OBD II reader that may be able to reset this....

There are so many features of the s90 that I have in my Phaeton, it almost seemed like Volvo snagged one of its engineers.

I will miss this forum especially. I have found a few Volvo forums that are nice, but I have not seen the absolutely and overwhelmingly friendly helpful folks there, that I have encountered here. I suspect it will be as complicated posting a picture on those forums, as I found it here.

The one thing about my Phaeton that I will not miss is the long drive out of my county, just to have it serviced. Volvo has a local dealership, which advertises its Service department as the highest rated one in Calif. And, they will update my navigation, supposedly forever, for free.

EDIT: Got rid of the "Defective Wheel On Board" error message!! Thanks to help given here (see below comments). I did it by adding more air into each of my 5 tires.

I owe so much to this forum and the dedicated, awesome members who know so much about the Phaeton and gladly share it. I WILL MISS YOU GUYS SO MUCH!!

·
Registered
6,826 Posts
Now I have to detail the crap out of my Phaeton. I am hoping to get a buyer that actually knows something about it, but I will not be too picky. And I have to figure out a way to get rid of the "Defective Wheel On Board" yellow warning, that turns to "Flat Tyre" red warning about 10 minutes after I start driving. I have an el-cheapo OBD II reader that may be able to reset this....
A tire store should be able to tell you if your TPMS sensors are bad. Is your TPMS set for 4 tires or 5? Mine was set for 4 tires when I bought it and it wouldn't tell me which one was bad. If one was low, all 4 tires had the red warning. I recoded it for 5 tires and it tells me which one is low. I actually had a defective wheel once. My spare wheel had a crack in it.

You cannot reset a bad sensor with a code reader or even with VAG-COM. You can reset the TPMS system fault with VAG-COM if there is a fault.

If you want to disable TPMS, the easiest way is to pull the fuse. That's how I received my 1st Phaeton. It was advertised as having "No pesky TPMS", but it was just the fuse removed.

Good luck with the S90. I liked Volvos before they were popular. I liked them when they looked like the cartons they came in.

Good luck selling the Phaeton. You might have better luck selling it here or on eBay. People who look at Phaetons on eBay generally know what they are shopping for. It's not just a giant Passat in a parking lot of other used cars.

-Eric

·
Registered
6,752 Posts
How many miles do you drive after resetting the TPMS before you get the failure message? What you're describing sounds like a bad controller. It's very simple to change, just buy a used one from Ebay.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for great advice everyone

That 'defective wheel' error was fixed within the last year or so by VW, and I am not sure how it was done. I am clueless if the TPMS measures 4 or all 5 wheels. I had them all replaced when this whole thing was fixed (within the last year or so). Now that same frustrating "defective wheel" error is back. I did not change anything (wheel or tires anyway) since before it was fixed previously and now. I will pursue selling my Phaeton on here, for sure. I found this Phaeton using "AutoTrader.com."

If I can't get the pesky error message fixed, I will remove the fuse. Although I will disclose it in the ad. For anyone who does not know, the Defective Wheel On-Board error is yellow, and chimes when I start up. After driving for around 8-12 minutes, a red FLAT TYRE error fills the instrument cluster message area, and it cannot then be used for the rest of the trip. Extremely annoying!

I have no goodies to sell separately, sorry!

Regards,
Tim:wave:

·
Registered
936 Posts
Suggesting inflating all five tires

I have had this exact sequence of messages from time to time over my almost 11 years of ownership. I have always been able to take care of it by inflating all five tires to a little above the setting the TPMS is calibrated for: you may want to try this approach.
Stefano

·
Registered
6,826 Posts
I have had this exact sequence of messages from time to time over my almost 11 years of ownership. I have always been able to take care of it by inflating all five tires to a little above the setting the TPMS is calibrated for: you may want to try this approach.
Stefano
That's almost exactly what I do. I don't try to get by on lower inflation settings. I have a 12V compressor that I hook up to the jumper terminals so I can inflate tires before I drive it.

The Phaeton owner's manual says that the TPMS system is more accurate than tire gauges so I inflate about 5 Lbs above the door post pressures according to the gauges. The one on the hose reads differently than the handheld one I have and they both read high according to the TPMS.

To make the TPMS happy, you go by what it thinks the pressure is, not what you "know" it is. I would do that even if I had a calibrated tire gauge with a current N.I.S.T. calibration.

I make sure the tires on each axle read the same with my handheld tire gauge and all three rears read the same. (The spare has to read the same as the rear tires.)

I used to work with a calibration laboratory and if something didn't need to be precise, it got a sticker saying "For Reference Only" which meant you could use it to compare measurements but not to calibrate anything. i.e. you can use a parts store tire gauge to compare tires, but it may or may not be accurate.

I'm not sure how accurate the TPMS is in reality, but it is the standard as far as it's concerned.

-Eric

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
TPMS set too high

My door sticker says to inflate front to 39 and rear to 45. But, the dealer set them to 42 in front and 46 in the rear. Strange.
And, my TPMS displays only 4 tires, not five.

·
Registered
6,826 Posts
My door sticker says to inflate front to 39 and rear to 45. But, the dealer set them to 42 in front and 46 in the rear. Strange.
And, my TPMS displays only 4 tires, not five.
Are you going by what a hand held gauge reads or what the TPMS says? My TPMS never thinks my tires are inflated to what I thought I was inflating them to.

The dealer could have used a handheld gauge that reads low compared to your gauge or the TPMS. I wouldn't trust any gauge that doesn't have a current NIST certificate.

Come to think of it, when I inflate my antique car's tires, I inflate to the maximum pressure on the tire sidewall and they always look low. This is with bias ply tires with inner tubes. They aren't supposed to look low like radials are. Both of my handheld gauges must read high.

I don't know if a dealer is required to have calibrated tire gauges. They most likely are required to have torque wrenches and micrometers and other measuring devises and test equipment with current calibration certificates. Back at my old job, even wire crimpers had to be calibrated.

Before I coded mine for 5 tires, if there was a low tire anywhere it would have red exclamation points for all 4 tires. It's not supposed to work that way according to the thread on disabling the spare, but that's the way my TPMS acted.

I don't know how it would act with no TPMS sensor or a dead sensor in the spare tire. I once took my spare out and put it in the trunk of my old Ford but my Phaeton still "saw" it.

The spare tire has to be inflated to the same pressure as the rear tires or the TPMS will not be happy. If any tire is not the same as the other tire on that axle, the TPMS will not be happy. I think the tolerance is 2 pounds difference before the TPMS thinks there is a low tire.

-Eric

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I used my best tire gauge, and discovered all tires were under inflated. Got air in all 5 tires, set to as close to 39 front and 45 rear as I could. NO MORE ERROR CODE! Wow--THANK YOU SO MUCH for the excellent advice ERIC, STEFANO, and everyone! :heart: And, I am embarrassed that I did not first think to do this :facepalm:

·
Registered
6,752 Posts
omg. The actual pressures aren't important, they just have to be consistent between sides. Are you sure the sticker reads 45 for the rear? I run mine at the original Euro spec, 36/34 if I remember correctly. TPMS works fine at those pressures (or any others).

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
omg. The actual pressures aren't important, they just have to be consistent between sides. Are you sure the sticker reads 45 for the rear? I run mine at the original Euro spec, 36/34 if I remember correctly. TPMS works fine at those pressures (or any others).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
6,826 Posts
I used my best tire gauge, and discovered all tires were under inflated. Got air in all 5 tires, set to as close to 39 front and 45 rear as I could. NO MORE ERROR CODE! Wow--THANK YOU SO MUCH for the excellent advice ERIC, STEFANO, and everyone! :heart: And, I am embarrassed that I did not first think to do this :facepalm:
That's great news! Be sure to update your ad and pictures.

-Eric

·
Registered
6,826 Posts
That's how it's supposed to work according to theory and the TOC threads. My results are mixed.

My 1st Phaeton takes a very long drive to lose the warning when I tell it to learn new pressures. An hour or more is common. It's a royal pain in the butt if you go out in the morning and see a TPMS warning and think you have to drive around for an hour to clear it.

When I replaced all of the sensors, that didn't change.

I found out later that if I inflate to the door sticker pressures I don't even have to tell it to learn new pressures. The warnings just go away on their own as soon as the tires are inflated.

When I get tires changed or rotated at the dealer I ask them to inflate them to the same pressures as before.

I could play with pressures on the 2nd Phaeton because it only takes about 5 minutes to learn new pressures. I got in the habit of inflating to the sticker pressures with the 1st one.

I haven't tried swapping controllers between my Phaetons yet.

-Eric

·
Registered
6,752 Posts
The difference on mine was when the new controller was fitted. It's hard to believe that the higher pressures make a difference because as far as I know the US & ROW cars had identical TPMS controllers. If you think about it, though, with higher pressures, assuming the controller works on a tolerance percentage, the controller will allow a greater variation in absolute pressure between the tyres. With the old controller, the behaviour on mine was as you describe, regardless of the pressures it would take ~32 miles to set the pressures, which was also the distance it took to fail when the controller went bad. The new controller is much better, it usually takes 5 or 10 minutes of driving to set the pressures.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
That's great news! Be sure to update your ad and pictures.

-Eric
Done! Also, I originally priced my Phaeton with the uncertainty of fault repair costs clearly in mind. Without that fault, it becomes a great running Phaeton with some cosmetic issues. My only regret in ownership was not adding the additional wood trim (around the cup holders area) that became standard on later models.

Just listed my Phaeton with lots more pictures, on AutoTrader. This is the site where I found my Phaeton, back 6 years ago.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts