VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Members,

On August 10 2017, I bought a 2018 Atlas Highline from a dealer in Toronto. Love everything about it until:

Sep 9 - check engine light on @1319 kms. Cleared by replacing the purge valve
Oct 24 - check engine light on @3012 kms. Cleared by replacing the gas cap
Nov 2 - check engine light on @3182 kms. Cleared by replacing leak detection pump
Nov 2- check engine light came back. Still have to go to the shop to get it checked

Fault code for the first three CELs: P045600 EVAP emission control system (very small leak) leak detected. Fourth one is probably the same.

It starts off with the remote starter not working. I would try to remotely start the car, nothing will happen, and then on the dashboard you'd see the CEL on. When you get in the car, sometimes it says on the dash that the 'remote start is active, press the push-start button blah blah'. It seems like the car thinks the engine is running when it's actually not. When I start the car, CEL disappears. Few days later, CEL becomes permanent and that's when I go to the shop (except for the 3rd occurrence where I had it checked before CEL became permanent because remote start doesn't work).

Aside from the engine light on, there are other things that I noticed:
- random weird gasoline-like smell inside the car when driving
- intermittent weird noise coming from the engine when accelerating. It's hard to explain and doesn't happen all the time but I've heard it randomly during acceleration. It sounds like a fan is grinding to something when stepping on the gas
- car feels to be sluggish and doesn't have power at times

My wife and I are really bummed out by the fact that it's a brand new car and has already been at the service department 3 times in the past couple months for the exact same fault code. Not to mention all the wasted hours I spent going back and forth to the shop. I also don't feel like the shop is doing everything they can to resolve the issue. It's like: replace some component, erase error code, give the car back, rinse and repeat.

I'm still trying to work with the dealership and will schedule my 4th visit soon. I'm not sure if it'll go anywhere and I'm getting tired of dealing with them so I'm wondering about my options.
1. Not sure how useful they are but should I reach out to VW Canada?
2. Maybe go to another VW shop?
3. Should I start looking into CAMVAP?
4. Any other ideas?

I'm posting the same thread on other forums to get as much input as possible so don't be surprised if you see this somewhere else :)

Thanks and I appreciate any response!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes they did on the first repair which they end up replacing the purge valve. I'm bringing the car on Monday but will also reach out to VW Canada and see what they say. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
i have the same issue with remote start it does not work..
it is very random..

but no errors on dashboard what so ever....

basically i have to hit lock on the remote then remote start and if i am lucky the car will start
or it won't .. and when i enter it does read - remote start active on the dash..

i am not interested in going to the dealer.. as Maple VW wanted $1000 to fix because they said it is an out of warranty issue lol

but it is what it is
BTW- it was bought at owasco - and they have already replaced every wire harness they can think of.. which was to fix my ambient lighting - which they did
but no fix for the remote start issue

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey AudiVW guy - thanks for the response. However, I don't get why that dealership is saying it's an out of warranty issue. It's part of the car and the model just came out like what, last summer?

Also, may I ask if you're using regular or premium gas? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Hey AudiVW guy - thanks for the response. However, I don't get why that dealership is saying it's an out of warranty issue. It's part of the car and the model just came out like what, last summer?

Also, may I ask if you're using regular or premium gas? Thanks!
i use 87 or 89 depends on the cost of fuel and vendor. when i travel in the US i put in 91 as its is half the price to fill my product..

as for the sluggishness, i can confirm that is the case in "E" eco mode. but if you "S" sport mode the transmission all is good.
I believe the atlas is over engineered for 'eco' and that is a piss off sometimes.

Maple VW has essential lost my business to their BullShat -
Pfaff did the same to me a few years ago - i took my vw wagon in for warranty work, they refused stating that i did not purchase the car there and they told me to service it where it was bought..
I phoned VW Canada and filed a complaint.. - Pfaff called to tell me off for calling head office..
I called VW canada up again and said I am being harassed by Pfaff for calling.. guess who called me again.. Pfaff telling me off again - I said listen i can go on for days calling VW canada - i hope you have the time lol

Pfaff has an ego problem - they think they are a cache.. nope they asswholes

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
do you have the 3.6?

i would feel bad putting anything less than 91 in mine.
yup as mentioned earlier i have the VR6
open the fuel door it says 87 on it.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
I feel your pain man, I know what its like to have nightmare vehicles and have to deal with incompetence at the dealer level. If you're story is accurate you are within your rights to CAMVAP since its been in three times for the same fault/issue. I would give VW Canada a call first and see if they can send out a field engineer to help diagnose the problem as its obvious the dealers techs are incompetent and are just doing the "parts changing game" hoping the problem will be fixed if they throw enough new parts at it. This is unacceptable BS because it wastes a lot of your time having to screw around going back and forth to the dealer while they play games with your ride. If it was me I would do this:

- Call VW Canada and explain the situation, request for some outside help (field engineer) because you are not confident the dealer can tackle this issue

- Give the dealer one last crack at getting the problem solved without any inconvenience to you. Tell them to keep the vehicle as long as they need it until the problem is corrected and verified a successful repair before they just toss the keys back to you and see what happens. DEMAND (nicely) a suitable loaner vehicle while this is going on. You have been patient enough thus far and shouldn't suffer anymore inconvenience.

- If they do not agree to this then option A would be to try another dealer and hopefully the problem gets fixed properly OR option B is don't waste any more time screwing around trying to get it repaired, just get all your ducks in a row and start a CAMVAP claim. If everything you've said in your post is accurate and you fill out the paperwork correctly and put together a well documented case (service records, timelines, phone conversations etc etc), you will easily win your case. I speak from experience as I had to CAMVAP a POS Nissan pickup in 2013. The CAMVAP process is slow so you will have to be patient if that's the route you take. Good Luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same EVAP issue in 2018 VW Atlas 3.6 SEL 4 Motion

Yesterday my car received its FOURTH new EVAP canister/Charcoal filter in just 20,000 miles. It's still a great car and the dealer fixes it every time, but it's just happening repetitively. The EVAP system has now failed more often than the car needed oil changes. I must admit that the vehicle has spent many days at the dealership for, mostly, electronic issues.

Issues include EVAP, weird engine feedback codes, headlight failure, (Fender) audio failure, tailgate fails to open, broken drive axle (at 4,000 miles), lane control system issues, front collision sensor issues.

It's getting worrying as we experience repetitive issues that don't appear to have a decent and lasting fix, and at just 20,000 miles, it makes me wonder how the car will hold up at 50,000 miles. Had many Volkswagen/Audi cars, and they have always been excellent until I purchased the Touareg (2008), Audi Q7 (2015) and Atlas (2018) which all have been suffering for various electronic and mechanical issues.

I am at the stage where I am considering contacting VW corporate to seek resolve as I use the car for work on a daily basis and reliability has become a regular concern.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts