VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So its time for something new, our 09 MK5 3 door has just been the most awesome & reliable car for the last 5-6 years we've owned it and considering its now 10 years old still relatively low km's at just 82k
Anyway I've been looking for a mk7 3 door for some time but pretty much impossible to come by in NZ as they were never imported and Japan is all 5 door as well......what to do......MK8 will see the 3 door dropped all together so its now or never.
After looking at a lot of options I found a 2018 Candy white 3 door 7.5 face lift with only 10km's on the clock, no not 10,000 just 10km >:D
Downside was its DSG when we really wanted a manual as that's what we have now, deal was too good to pass up so late last year it was purchased and shipped.
After a lot of thinking I've decided to bite the bullet and do a manual swap, crazy I know but why not!
Something satisfying about pulling a brand new car apart, anywho motor and box out, dash out etc etc
Next week will see manual bits going back in, hopefully it all works out ;D

·
Registered
848 Posts
Wow, that must have been some deal! A manual swap sounds like a lot of work.

Definitely interested to see how it goes, though. Not sure if it would work, but have you thought about using the R transmission with shorter ratios? That's always been my curiosity.

P.S. Your pics don't seem to be loading

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It helps having a whole parts car, clutch pedal & shifter box in. Motor ans box in next week.

·
Registered
Mk7 GTI/Audi A3 8P
13,991 Posts
Wow...that is a huge project! Kudos for tackling it. I don't think I've read of anyone doing a swap like that. How do you plan on going about the coding for the different transmissions? I've been told that it could be a big job in itself.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Interesting, their videos show little to no detail though. I have the benefit of having a complete accident damaged donor car so my goal is to use all the factory parts to make it 100% as it should be. I'm also adding the wiring needed for the manual trans & clutch pedal so that there's no stored codes.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bit more progress today, engine and manual box back together and in. Found RH drive shaft to be different between manual / dsg with the manual one being 10mm longer.
Not much in it but side by side its just a little longer, the shorter one may have reached but I'm not taking that chance and my donor car had the correct one anyway.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice to see VW have carried on the tradition of using a manual brake pedal with a larger foot plate spot welded on for automatic / dsg.
Simply drill out spot welds, remove plate and manual foot pad clips in to place. Haven't had much time on this but hopefully start removing some of the required wiring from my donor tomorrow.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Coding so far has been easy, removed the auto trans from the Can installed list and re coded the engine ecu to manual.
Turn the key on and to start, the depress clutch message pops up. Push clutch in and presto engine start.
With the wiring in and seemingly everything works as it should I put the dash back in, I probably didn't really need to pull it but I'm glad I did as its given me way more room to work so in all I feel it was worth the extra hour or two to pull out.
Getting at the pedal and wiring would be a right ball ache with the dash in place.
Dash going back in and making sure all the scrwes go back where they came from, VW has really perfected assembly as they have greatly reduced the amount of fastners needed to bolt these things together.

Console back in with ofcourse the best part, a 6 speed gear stick! Added a new screen and sat nav hard drive so that will require messing around with to get working but now's the best time to install it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts