VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has paint issues on a 2018 Golf R. I just noticed that the paint behind the wheel is flaking off, same issue on both sides of the car. I have the dealer looking at it on Friday, but the initial phone response was that is was some kind of 'road rash'. They asked if I had mud guards, but my understanding is that VW OEM guards do not fit on a Golf R. Besides mud guards would protect against rock chips and this seems to be flaking paint.

Any advice or have seen this same issue?

Thanks.

·
Registered
215 Posts
That looks pretty gnarly, definitely beyond normal wear and tear I would say.

OEM GTI mud flaps fit the R. At least the MK7.5 versions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
53,545 Posts
Looks like the result of a poorly done repair. That area on my 2016 Golf R is still as new. Are you running OE tire size and wheel offset?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks like the result of a poorly done repair. That area on my 2016 Golf R is still as new. Are you running OE tire size and wheel offset?
Running the OE tire size. Not a repair job, this is the original paint job from the VW factory. Three years old, 30k, no accidents.

·
Registered
8 Posts
All automotive surfaces are subject o oxidation over time tyhat appears as a slight "haze". This may not address the paint that peeled (likely the result of corrosion and road cinders, etc.). IMO, VW coats the car with a decent quality finish. Repair will require professional sanding, priming and paint. Then, install VW OEM mud guards if you can find them. The fiinish restorer" I have used a surface preparation called No. 7, Show Car Glaze (No advertising intended, but it works). You will notice the difference. Do this step before you apply any wax, otherwise surface oxidation is preserved under the wax. Don't use any "cleaner wax" that may contain abrasives; choose 100% Carnauba yellow wax--it's what is used on aircraft and by most reputable repair and detail shops. this may not eliminate road rash from sand or grit; but it may help the finish resist issues. Cheers.

·
Registered
2019 Arteon, 2016 .:R, 1991 Mazda B2600i
2,008 Posts
Location?

2016 Here, no paint issues, but garaged, and Southern Locale.

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
Has anyone peeled back the wheel liners on the "older" R's and noticed debris piling up in that area? I have had a couple of cars where it was a good idea every couple of years to clean it out. Would rust in that area.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update from the VW Dealership. They took pictures and sent to VW for an evaluation that will take three months to complete. Not kidding, three months! In the mean time I cannot fix the paint or I will void the warranty. They also said if they determine it will not be covered there is no recourse on the decision. Firm and final.

Terrible service on this one.

·
Registered
82 Posts
That’s how VW roles. Don’t listen to any of it. Go to a body shop and get an expert review of the issue, then call VW yourself with the written analysis. The dealer/VW will just drag this on using the oldest trick in the book (dragging their feet in hopes that the customer gives up). If they still give you a hard time tell them your going to the media. I recently had a rust claim denied as well, after 4 months. My issues was minor so I just repaired it myself. This is my first and last VW for me. Don’t get me wrong I love my R, I just can’t handle dealing with the GTA dealers and VW corporate. You can read my thread about the TD1 flag I got, in the end removed but I had be my own private investigator. Lol

·
Registered
713 Posts
2016 R / garaged / 3 winters.

I had rust pop up in that exact spot, as well as the seam where the left rear quarter meets the bumper. Fortunately, I didn't have to deal with any VW efforts, since I (unfortunately) got t-boned and had the entire left side of the car repaired and repainted, bumper included.

Good luck.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Update from the VW Dealership. They took pictures and sent to VW for an evaluation that will take three months to complete. Not kidding, three months! In the mean time I cannot fix the paint or I will void the warranty. They also said if they determine it will not be covered there is no recourse on the decision. Firm and final.

Terrible service on this one.
In response to that update from the dealership I suggest that you respectfully ask for the following information from them:

1.) The contact information of the individual(s) that the dealership is in contact with at VWGoA.

2.) The VWGoA case number associated with your issue.

3.) Documentation related to the exchange between the dealership and VWGoA.

The reason that I am suggesting this is so that you can attempt to keep the dealership honest while being able to directly follow up with VWGoA on a set cadence. If you can avoid it I would advise against only following up with the dealership and I would advise against waiting the full 3 months before you follow up again.

Based on prior experience you must be your own advocate in situations like this and you unfortunately cannot rely on a dealership or VWGoA to expeditiously move your case along while actively keeping you informed throughout the process.

As someone else has already suggested, in the meantime continue to build your case by having a reputable body shop look at and document the issue and proposed repair. This information will prove valuable should you get to the point where you have to either defend your position or move forward with a repair that is covered under warranty.

Good luck and I hope that the end result is in your favor!

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Damage looks like the car has been driven on dirt/gravel roads a lot….. Why wait this long to make a claim? I mean, it’s not like this kind if damage happens over night.
VW will not do anything I bet. If you don’t take care of a paint chip right away and then wait to have it get this bad, it’s considered neglect.
Just my $0.02 anyways……

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
393 Posts
Why wait this long to make a claim? I mean, it’s not like this kind if damage happens over night.
OP did say in the OP that he just noticed this; he didn't indicate it's been festering or evident before it flaked like this. On both sides of the car too. I'd say it was gravel, snow, salt, water etc. too that did this. But I live in sunny SoCal so I have little experience in ultra harsh climates.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I hope this gets resolved to your satisfaction.

I put a set of these, in short fitment, on my Golf R for the winter:

I quite like them, good coverage and should keep this kind of damage from happening to the front fenders. Only takes me a few minutes to put them on with the winter tires, or off when the Pretoria's go back on.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Running the OE tire size. Not a repair job, this is the original paint job from the VW factory. Three years old, 30k, no accidents.
byetman can post a pic from a further distance? It’s hard to tell what kind of car that even is, though I had this same issue with my Subi STI and the dealer blamed me and the wax that I was using so the warranty listened to their opinion and denied my claim. I fixed the **** and traded it in a month later, I’m curious as to why warranties like to wiggle their way out of legit claims, pretty annoying.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts